Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Pbass

A generous gift from Mogup

I just wanted to tell you guys about something awesome that happened to me that started here on the forum. 

I was having problems finding long Schlappen for one of my go to flys. I was basically asking what saddles might contain more than others. Mogup posted a picture of a beautiful chunk of saddle with lots of Schlappen on it and said "will this work"?  I said yes, where can I order one like that. Mogup then offered to give it to me! Someone he did not know.  He was  willing to gift something like that to someone he did not know on the other side of the US.  We worked out the details and he even paid to ship it!

When I got the package it was not only the saddle from the photo but two more! 

This was an amazing kind deed and I am grateful. Not only for the gift but for what it represents in this world today. 

Mogup- Thank you for your kindness and for being such a great example of how we should treat each other!

DSC_0028.jpeg

DSC_0030.jpeg

DSC_0031.jpeg

1 minute ago, Pbass said:

I just wanted to tell you guys about something awesome that happened to me that started here on the forum. 

I was having problems finding long Schlappen for one of my go to flys. I was basically asking what saddles might contain more than others. Mogup posted a picture of a beautiful chunk of saddle with lots of Schlappen on it and said "will this work"?  I said yes, where can I or one like that. Mogup then offered to give it to me! Someone he did not know.  He was  willing to gift something like that to someone he did not know on the other side of the US.  We worked out the details and he even paid to ship it!

When I got the package it was not only the saddle from the photo but two more! 

This was an amazing kind deed and I am grateful. Not only for the gift but for what it represents in this world today. 

Mogup- Thank you for your kindness and for being such a great example of how we should treat each other!

DSC_0028.jpeg

DSC_0030.jpeg

DSC_0031.jpeg

Yes, Mogup is a great guy!

Finally found someone to offload those worthless feather to, huh Mogup?

Just kidding.  Wonderful gesture.

No thanks needed Pbass. Always happy to give away something to someone who will have a better use for it than I.  As I think I mentioned before there have been a few guys here who have sent me a surprise package for something I had been looking for which was a very nice surprise. Enjoy tying up some killers! 

Love the generosity and willingness to teach in this forum.   Its a great way to keep this sport going.  Great feathers and I can’t wait to see what you tie up.   

I to have also received generous gifts from Mark and soon to be The Mad Duck. Also have had many people offer to send me stuff. The people of this forum are amazing!

2 hours ago, feathers5 said:

Pbass, Let's see some of those "Go To" flies you've tied. I'm curious, now.

I have posted these pictures before but this is a local version of a "Yuk Bug". The second picture is one after running it under water in the sink. The two in the pictures are a bit different in the nose.  Gives you a good idea of how much the fibers will move around in the water. The big trout love this for whatever reason. Its great for that faster moving high mountain river water. Think Sculpin/crawfish areas in North Idaho and Montana. I even caught a Chinook Salmon with it.

DSC_0002.jpeg

DSC_0105.jpeg

Here is a small Cone head version I tie for my 4wt. Not sure why these work or what they are really supposed to be but they do work.

DSC_0025.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Kind of Woolly-Bugger-ish. Looks "killer" to me.

20 years ago a local Friend/guide told me to use these where sculpins and crawfish live. I have used this in every river around here and have done well with it. This is the fly that drove me to learn to tie. I just could not find anyplace to buy them. But yes Wolly-Bugger-ish.  I don't see a lot of flys that use squirrel tail. 

If you want to tie some I can send you a link to a video of a local guy tying this up. Although I am sure you don't need any instruction to tie this. The only thing you cant see is about 1/3 of the hook shanks are covered in lead wrap.