Fly Tying
haziz

Hen Hackle for Soft Hackles?

11 minutes ago, Mogup said:

turning into a real troll

Perhaps.

12 minutes ago, Mogup said:

the joke is you’re the moderator .

As long as it is still seen as a joke ...

2 hours ago, Mogup said:

Mike you’re turning into a real troll and the joke is you’re the moderator .

Mogup, As long as you're going to spend time pushing your version of political correctness, you might as well work on your grammar while you are at it! 😉

Bill_729

9 minutes ago, Bill_729 said:

Mogup, As long as you're going to spend time pushing your version of political correctness, you might as well work on your grammar while you are at it! 😉

Bill_729

Bill 729 this thread had not one thing to do with political correctness. The subject was introduced by Mike so you may want to re read the thread.. Please enlighten me on my grammar failures though again it really has nothing to do with us being here. Trying to search and  see what you have contributed to this board besides snarky remarks. Didn’t level any your way so keep them to yourself please.

46 minutes ago, Mogup said:

Didn’t level any your way so keep them to yourself please.

On 9/6/2020 at 2:29 AM, Mogup said:

After some of these recents postings chugbug I don’t think I would offer a recommendation.  

Mogup, I considered your note above a "snarky comment".  So, since the issue came up again, I just thought you had one coming--nothing personal. But, even in this note you omitted a comma (I'm really only teasing you regarding your grammar).  However, I do think you are probably more politically correct than I am. I have apparently made over 250 posts here. You are free to double-check them.  If you read them I think you'll find that, as a general theme, I am trying to be helpful in the majority of them.  I'm sorry we had to meet this way...

Bill_729

Now back to our original programming.........What brand of hen hackle do you suggest a person purchase? I have been checking out the Whiting Brahma Hen Hackle- will it tie a bunch of size 14 /16 patterns?

Yes  the Whiting Brahma should be good for those sizes. I like the march brown dyed cape.

11 hours ago, Shmang said:

Now back to our original programming.........What brand of hen hackle do you suggest a person purchase? I have been checking out the Whiting Brahma Hen Hackle- will it tie a bunch of size 14 /16 patterns?

Whiting 4B hen cape and I also like CDL hen saddles, though that might be a tad too big

I like to tie Soft Hackles in sizes 14 and 16.  I have been using a few Conranch JV hen hackle pieces for years but I am close to the usable end hence my quest for a quality replacement. I wish I would have bought 4 more back in the day.

I tend to go with more hackle on mine compared to a classic North Country Spider pattern but what I make works very well for my style of fishing. 

Thanks for everyone's help.

As an addition that what has already been said ......... Conranch hackle is very good IMO, and the Whiting hen hackle will work very well.  I purchased a Swiss CDC clamp after watching a couple of videos on You Tube.  The clamp enables you to use larger feathers to make smaller soft hackles.  Some have used a potato chip bag clamp in the place of the Swiss clamp ..... I am sure there are other alternatives ..... its a handy technique for using larger feathers for smaller flies.

You can also set up slightly longer hackles away from the eye; wrap them down towards the eye (reverse wing style) to length wanted;  and then stand them up with wraps in front after dubbing on a body.  Actually makes the hackle stand taller, move more freely, and not collapse as readily in current,

On 9/6/2020 at 8:39 PM, Mogup said:

There’s a member here @Old Hat whose website I tumbled across last night.  Tried to send him a msg here but got a response that stated “member unable to recieve mail” anyway wanted to tell him that he had a very nice site and the soft hackle flies and flymphs he tied and showed pictured were just lovely.  Very nice Old Hat if you read this !

I'm still alive and kickin'.  I've gotten a little more active here recently since the all the updates to the site.  I still have a Facebook profile just for close friends and family.  I also admin a Facebook group "Flymph Angling and Tying Group".   It is a small topic and small group but if anyone is truly interested in this style feel free to join.  Thanks Mogup for the nice comments and glad you liked the website.  It is a work in progress and I'm  getting ready to add new material soon when things slow down a bit for me.  

On 9/8/2020 at 11:55 PM, Shmang said:

I like to tie Soft Hackles in sizes 14 and 16.  I have been using a few Conranch JV hen hackle pieces for years but I am close to the usable end hence my quest for a quality replacement. I wish I would have bought 4 more back in the day.

I tend to go with more hackle on mine compared to a classic North Country Spider pattern but what I make works very well for my style of fishing. 

Thanks for everyone's help.

Actually the classic NC Spiders were hackled fairly heavily.  I don't know how people got into this sparse idea over the years. I think someone probably wrote about keeping the hackle sparse and people took it too far.

11 minutes ago, Old Hat said:

I'm still alive and kickin'.  I've gotten a little more active here recently since the all the updates to the site.  I still have a Facebook profile just for close friends and family.  I also admin a Facebook group "Flymph Angling and Tying Group".   It is a small topic and small group but if anyone is truly interested in this style feel free to join.  Thanks Mogup for the nice comments and glad you liked the website.  It is a work in progress and I'm  getting ready to add new material soon when things slow down a bit for me.  

Nice to see you back, I'm heading to fl Monday, I think one of your swap flys is right at the front of my to fish with list this year