Fly Tying
Lug Nuts

What is your favorite fly to tie?

It's usually "Chell's Panfish Attractor".

DSCF0004.JPG

Tying is not "fun" to me.  Fishing is fun.  Tying flies for my fishing is somewhat enjoyable, but I wouldn't consider it "fun".  The "Panfish Attractor" is my favorite fly to fish ... so it's my favorite fly to tie.

3 hours ago, mikechell said:

It's usually "Chell's Panfish Attractor".

DSCF0004.JPG

Tying is not "fun" to me.  Fishing is fun.  Tying flies for my fishing is somewhat enjoyable, but I wouldn't consider it "fun".  The "Panfish Attractor" is my favorite fly to fish ... so it's my favorite fly to tie.

I have never seen those before. Looks like they would be great! 

7 hours ago, redietz said:

Partridge and anything.

I also can go with that. So simple any of them will catch fish but to tie a really proper one is not quite as simple as they look. I have also been playing a lot lately with CDC and there are a lot of nice things you can do with that including substituting it for partridge in spiders.

Petegray, your vise makes me sick I want it so bad. Beautiful fly enhanced by the vise it's in.

+1 for flytire.

I like tying cripples. Last chance, Quigley, etc. 

Here's a last chance PMD cripple, size 18. I like the emerger hook better than a standard dry hook as it gets the shuck into the film. 

PHOTO_20200908_190739.jpg

10 minutes ago, Mogup said:

Nice fly Sandan.

Thank you sir. I'ma big fan of the Catskill style too, having grown up fishing the Esopus and Schoharie creeks

On 9/7/2020 at 12:24 PM, Lug Nuts said:

I know this is a wide open question and will vary by region and species at a minimum, but I am curious of everyone’s favorite to tie. 

This one's not too hard for me..."anything without wings"! : ) I can handle wings, wet or dry, but you asked for my preference.  I'd rather tie a bass bug than a #16 Adams, though some folks have admired the one's I have tied.  I recently picked up some olive-colored deer hair I want to try.  If I lived near waters with trout, I'd probably develop more of an affinity for smaller flies.

Everything about the Royal Wolf to me is rewarding ( coachman too). Size 8 or 10, not bad to tie, cool colors. It's not so great around home waters but I like them to look at and for Maine, it's the last shot in the evening kind of fly on a Maine River that often gets that big fish that won't take anything resembling caddis in a caddis hatch but sail this thing that looks like the Mayflower ship coming down the river compared to the caddis everywhere, goes right over that big fish that's been poking it's head our periodically and wham. Plus it has memories from 30 years ago attached to it. There so many flies for various reasons though but I'll run with this today and put my other favorites aside...............................

A Royal Coachman winged wet is my favorite to tie.  I'll still swing one if I find myself fishing downstream in fast water (I did yesterday).  One or two caught fish usually destroys the wing.   They are as classic as they are beautiful-

2 hours ago, jamieofthenorth said:

Anything that uses pheasant tail because it's from birds that I've previously shot. Pretty rewarding and brings back fun memories.

The forecast where I hunt looks really good for this season. 

25 minutes ago, Sandan said:

The forecast where I hunt looks really good for this season. 

Nice... in Maine, they are all stocked and it's only really done in southern parts of the state, where I used to live. Unfortunately, none where I am further north, but the partridge (ruffed grouse, technically.. but they call them partridge here) hunting is pretty awesome.