Fly Tying
Lug Nuts

What is your favorite fly to tie?

On 9/7/2020 at 11:33 PM, denduke said:

7A985C51-96DB-40F6-92A0-9BA8B60329C8.jpeg

72411B2F-B7BB-42B1-95A8-2D8A34CAE0E4.jpeg

7AA2F5FE-CC41-415B-8119-197A3ACF0819.jpeg

Nice! Going to try  this. The eyes might be tricky. Never made them that big before. 

4 hours ago, bass master said:

There’s more of these over here.   The glass eyes are mono melted then Solarez. But been using the lil double black painted bead thingys got in wedding section HobbyLobby.  Solarez some to make them bigger when Solarez ing the bodies.   You can see the lil balls in the glass rattles too.  More on this coil stuff and a lil SBS for my version of the fiber shrimp in the From the WW Bench post and WW page.   Dats where I try to hang.   

6038F342-20F6-444A-868E-D9245DA68EE9.jpeg

9B7C679F-FA52-4575-9E3B-05E60DDA25BB.png

Right now it's Snowie's #2. You can see my progression in the Snowie's thread in the Classic forum.

Whatever is on my vise!  Always loved to fish and tie streamers.  I recently got Helen Shaw's "Flies for Fish and Fisherman, The Wet Flies" and am trying to tie each pattern in that book.  Figure I'll finish by March (Women's History Month).  Also, I'm working on hair hackles - three styles - and will tie all 30 patterns by Franz Potts.

Kim

20 minutes ago, WWKimba said:

Whatever is on my vise!  Always loved to fish and tie streamers.  I recently got Helen Shaw's "Flies for Fish and Fisherman, The Wet Flies" and am trying to tie each pattern in that book.  Figure I'll finish by March (Women's History Month).  Also, I'm working on hair hackles - three styles - and will tie all 30 patterns by Franz Potts.

Kim

@WWKimba I enjoy tying streamers too. Kelly Galloup has some excellent streamer videos. I tie a caddis with a deer hair hackle. Cut and stack the hair, put it in a dubbing loop, lay it out along the thread as opposed to clumped up, spin the whirl and wrap. Floats great. Sounds like you have your work/fun cut out for you.

22 minutes ago, Sandan said:

@WWKimba I enjoy tying streamers too. Kelly Galloup has some excellent streamer videos. I tie a caddis with a deer hair hackle. Cut and stack the hair, put it in a dubbing loop, lay it out along the thread as opposed to clumped up, spin the whirl and wrap. Floats great. Sounds like you have your work/fun cut out for you.

ALWAYS fun!

Kim

I tie so many different flies, dries, nymphs, midges, terrestrials, streamers, soft hackles, etc., but I suppose I enjoy tying North Country or Yorkshire spiders the most.  Years ago I became enamored of the simple, elegant North Country spider.  I studied the works of G.E.M. Skues, Edmonds & Lee, Stewart, and modern authors and purchased game birds from US and UK distributors.  I had to fight off the tendency to over-hackle the fly and understand the purpose of sparse hackling as well as a sparse body.  Understanding the properties of silk versus synthetic thread improved my tying.  I became a soft hackle addict like Nemes and valued what the authors were saying about fishing for trout just below the surface of the water.  

I still enjoy tying other flies, esp. anything originated by Bob Clouser.  During the 80s and 90s, I took three classes from Clouser.  I tie a lot of Clouser Deep Minnow flies in many sizes.  I've caught trout, bass, muskie, and rockfish with it, size and colors notwithstanding.  I have not really strayed from his teaching of this fly.  I do coat the fly with UV epoxy to protect the painted eyes and thread wraps.  

Hippy stompers and Stimulators..I have yet to fish a stimi but i really like tying them. lately.I do good with hippy stompers. I tie them up to sz6 and the bass just seem to love them.I originally tied them for pansish in 12 and 14.First time i saw one thought it would be the ultimate bluegill fly.First time i used one i caught a 5lb bass on a sz12 on a 3wt rod,Quite a  battle,