Fly Tying
McFlyLures

Fishing not Allowed

58 minutes ago, McFlyLures said:

It wasn’t like he was just roaming around looking to harass fisherman.  

I beg pardon, that is exactly what they were doing.  

Nevertheless, as I said, before, you did the right, level headed thing with your boy there, it's important to instill a healthy respect for the rule of law in youngsters and that situation was beyond is ken.  

1 hour ago, niveker said:

I beg pardon, that is exactly what they were doing.  

Nevertheless, as I said, before, you did the right, level headed thing with your boy there, it's important to instill a healthy respect for the rule of law in youngsters and that situation was beyond is ken.  

👍

it sucks.  all around, it just does.  there is so much misinformation, disinformation, misinterpretation, wilful exaggeration, and everything else regarding recommendations and restrictions and actual laws.    Sorry to hear and see what happened.  100% pro LE here, and if the Officer was like 99% of the LEOs I know he felt bad about having to tell you to leave too.   Here in Pa the Governor (who I do not agree with on almost anything) is constantly under attack for his recommendations... and the general population of geniuses continually prove that restrictions are needed.   Bottom line, you did the right thing and you did good by both your boy and the Officer.   There are very few right answers.  You don't have to like it, you just have to do it, and if it is actually an infringement of your rights, it can be settled later.  

Let me give you a little insight from a state (NJ) that went through all that a few months back. Early on during the shutdown people flocked to the parks, city, county and state. It was so badly overcrowded and people were not observing social distancing that all the parks were shut down because they were becoming the cause of the spread of COVID. When our numbers finally dropped to better levels, the parks were reopened but with limited capacity and oversight to make sure that people were not gathering in large groups. So I would suspect that is the situation with the parks in your area.

I won't get into the whole covid restriction thing, because I'd be very close to getting political and breaking my own rule here. But far as shutting down parks that's just nonsense. There is zero evidence that even a single case has spread from two people being outside interacting in a casual passing manner.

I think JSzymczyk pretty much summed up my thoughts on it, exactly the same as I feel. All I'll say is, it's a good thing there's not a "Worst Governor Ever" award...because I think there would be close to a 10 way tie if there were 😄

You did the right thing Mcfly. Sorry your boy had to deal with that and be so bummed out.

Here in SC, we had some folks who just could not use good sense. Most have, but enough have not. Some shutdowns happened initially,  of parks & boat ramps & other public places, but I think most of that has been lifted. Still, some people have to be told what to do, since they don't have enough good sense to do the right thing. It's still a problem. In our local news it's been an issue with colleges and these kids are testing positive for the virus at an alarming rate.  Stupid can't be legislated however. 

The fact is that situations like this don't happen often, and many folks, including politicians, may not know how to handle it, so reactions aren't always appropriate. Some folks will take advantage of them when they do happen, right or wrong, or even with good intentions. That's sad but true.

Teaching the younger generations is just as important with how all of us deal with these issues. And, I'm not getting political, but that may be a big part of what we're seeing today in our nation. McFly, good for you to take this all as a teaching moment. If your son ever has to deal with anything worse than that, he'll be a much better person for what your teaching him. 

I agree with both Joel & Steve, there always more to it that could be done differently, but decisions are made, rules & laws are made and our LE get stuck in the middle because it's their job. Can't blame them, because I'm sure most of us here want them to do their job, even when they're enforcing something we don't agree with. 

Hopefully, this will all pass, and we all can get back to a somewhat normal life, and can go to public places to fish and enjoy other activities without being told we can't. 

Its the same  thing over and over. If people would all drive safely we would not need speed limits. Laws are made to stop the people that cant control themselves. Then the rest of us have to follow them too. 

so I didn’t think about the fact that this could get political, and a few people said “I don’t want to get political but...”. I personally don’t see how this even got political, but that was not my intention.  Sorry to all who might have been offended by this post.  I tend to see both sides opinions on this and am by no means taking a side here. Just wanted to show a video I made, like I always do.  Usually I post my videos here to share with people.  Some might learn something, others might teach me something.  That’s the only intention here.  Not to get political.  Sorry if it seemed that way.  

No worries Shawn it didn't get political. It "could" have just due to the reasons why things are how they are in the country right now. But nothing got political. Everyone here pretty much knows not to do that so all is good. Carry on ;)

4 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

No worries Shawn it didn't get political. It "could" have just due to the reasons why things are how they are in the country right now. But nothing got political. Everyone here pretty much knows not to do that so all is good. Carry on ;)

Cool man.  

On 9/12/2020 at 10:19 AM, Steeldrifter said:

There is zero evidence that even a single case has spread from two people being outside interacting in a casual passing manner.

😄

That's a "bingo"-

On 9/12/2020 at 10:19 AM, Steeldrifter said:

But far as shutting down parks that's just nonsense. There is zero evidence that even a single case has

Here in Indiana, folks are sort of encouraged to enjoy the parks, while maintaining "safe distancing".   However, they have put locks on some of the basketball hoops (honest!) and many (all?) of the playgrounds for kids are closed. You can probably still play tennis, and surely you can fish.

Bill

5 hours ago, Bill_729 said:

Here in Indiana, folks are sort of encouraged to enjoy the parks, while maintaining "safe distancing".   However, they have put locks on some of the basketball hoops (honest!) and many (all?) of the playgrounds for kids are closed. You can probably still play tennis, and surely you can fish.

Bill

We've been to 18 (out of 32) Indiana state parks this year while maintaining social distancing.  We take our own food and drinks, wear masks when inside buildings and usually stay 50 feet or more from people.  If it's during the week we may be the only people in the picnic area.  Helps keep us sane and some of these places have had very nice bluegill.

On 9/11/2020 at 10:00 AM, McFlyLures said:

Apparently San Antonio had closed down all parks due to covid. 

Apparently?  Dude, it's not like it wasn't all over San Antonio news prior to the Labor Day closure strategy.  Regardless of whether a closure is logical or not, do check status of parks and access points before heading out.  Y'know...sometimes there's bridgework on river access or other work being done which closes fishing spots for a bit.  

Your police out there are pretty patient and polite with folks who disregard or somehow remained unaware of the Labor Day closings.  Consider yourself lucky you didn't get a citation or ticket.

Something for all of us to remember is that after the virus is pretty much under control - and things get back to normal... There are still folks (and organizations) around that are absolutely anti-fishing and they'll always be active here or there if we're not vigilant.  I'm not talking about a particular pond, lake, or stream with a "No fishing" sign someone has managed to get put up, but the kinds of actions that lock us out of entire areas - both in salt and freshwater and we're not talking temporary - but forever.

The best argument in our favor is simply "catch and release" in areas where fish populations need protection as well as tried and true conservation practices for areas under stress... Put simply,  if the Hudson River in New York can be cleaned up we can do that anywhere...