Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
indiglofish61@gmail.com

Royal wulff wing?

I like kip for Wulff wings.  Calf body hair is almost universally recommended as first choice, but the stuff I get is too short.  It's finer (I think) than Kip, but still...I don't think whitetail tail will work because it's too coarse, but Wulff probably used it.  

24 minutes ago, Gene L said:

I don't think whitetail tail will work because it's too coarse, but Wulff probably used it.  

He certainly used it for the Gray Wulff and the Grizzzly Wullf, and it's still used for those flies.

The Royal Wullf isn't actually one of Wulff's patterns; it was Dan Bailey's.

You can find calf body hair that is long enough to tie at least an #8 Wulff but you half to shop in person or buy from a shop that will select it for you. 

As Sandan mentioned synthetics will produce good results and are easy to work with but not traditional.

A hair wing is what makes a Wulff a Wulff.  If a synthetic is used, it ain't a Wulff, regardless of how well it works. 

white bucktail will be a good substitute

i used bucktail for the wing on this gray wulff

Grey-Wulff-1080-Front.jpg

the fish dont care if you use natural or synthetic materials

I don't tie them that often.  Last time I did I used snowshoe rabbit since I didn't have any calf tail.

3 minutes ago, HighMountainTieFlyer said:

Yeah I always use poly wing just because it’s cheap

let's see one or a couple

I just tied about 20 and used calf tail. I had some calf body hair but found it harder to work with than tail in my opinion. I wanted to stay with a natural material. Try whatever you want and see what you like the best. As was said before the fish don't care. 

2 minutes ago, Upstate said:

I just tied about 20 and used calf tail. I had some calf body hair but found it harder to work with than tail in my opinion. I wanted to stay with a natural material. Try whatever you want and see what you like the best. As was said before the fish don't care. 

Both are pretty slippery IMHO.

24 minutes ago, Sandan said:

Both are pretty slippery IMHO.

You are correct. I found the calf tail to be a little more fore giving. 
here’s a question - I found trying to get consistent wing sizes harder than actually working with wing material. Anyone have any tips? Other than just more experience/practice, don’t worry to much about it the fish don’t care. It’s really just there to help you see the fly better right? 

equal bunches of wings may help in the castability of the fly. wont be off balanced

comb the calf tail prior to inserting into hair stacker. it separates the hair fibers for easier stacking

white calf tail is easier to see in certain light conditions and also provides a silhouette of mayfly wings

Royal-Wulff-1080-Semi-Front.jpg