Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
indiglofish61@gmail.com

Royal wulff wing?

2 hours ago, Upstate said:

You are correct. I found the calf tail to be a little more fore giving. 
here’s a question - I found trying to get consistent wing sizes harder than actually working with wing material. Anyone have any tips? Other than just more experience/practice, don’t worry to much about it the fish don’t care. It’s really just there to help you see the fly better right? 

@Upstate I clean and stack the clump and measure it to shank length hold it between thumb and forefinger, then pinch wrap it onto the shank. Wrap back a few turns then back to the tie in point, lift the wing tie in a dam to hold it up and then split/divide the wing (there are other ways to do that).   When I use hackle tips for a wing I have an index card that has a line parallel to the edge that's the length (shank length) I want the wing to be.  There are 4/card one for each edge. You might want to try that with your calf hair, but I'm not sure if that'll be more work than necessary, but it's an idea.  How are you measuring your wing material now?  It might not be just a matter of experience/practice but rather experience/practice of a better/different method.  You might want to try taking one complete wrap around the hair bundle to consolidate it before you bind it to the shank of the hook.  If you don't like the length of the consolidated bundle unwrap and do it again and again and again and.......you get the idea

2 hours ago, Upstate said:

It’s really just there to help you see the fly better right? 

Of course. 😎  Flytier has it right too.