Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bob LeMay

Everglades report

Only getting an occasional charter - and none of them are fly anglers so haven't have much to report.  Finally will have a few fly anglers  in the next few weeks (and every one looking for tarpon among others...).  Still not completely uneventful... My angler took this photo early in the week - and NO that's not an alligator... 

5V6GZzo.jpg

for a quick size comparison my skiff is almost 17' long - the crocodile (a daily fixture at the ramp these days) is somewhere between 10 and 11 feet long (they get bigger, a lot bigger.... but the biologists tell us they're "mostly a fish eater"....).

"Be a hero... take a kid fishing"

Saltwater Crocodile? I wonder at the word "mostly." What do they feed on that is in addition to the "mostly."

I’ve seen video of the American saltwater crocodile (the correct name for this species ) that include them  killing and eating small animals that forage along shorelines (‘possum, raccoon, etc.) and there’s supposed to be a video of one swimming down a residential canal in the Keys with a small dog in its jaws (unknown whether it killed the dog or was simply scavenging up a dead animal).. My only concern is that scientists haven’t been able to study a really big specimen... and I have seen one or two that were almost as big as my skiff...  In other parts of the world big saltwater crocs have been known to eat people and are quite aggressive...

Still, they do behave much differently than ‘gators which can be aggressive and are known man killers.  I stay away from big ‘gators, period..

5 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

biologists tell us they're "mostly a fish eater".

take a kid fishing

<Edited to MY liking>

Just be sure to put the kid on a good, strong rope ... otherwise, the Croc will break off and take the bait.

http://www.bobmclalanstories.com/portfolio-view/crocodiles_of_guadalcanal/

I also saw a YT video of a dog in Florida that tormented a gator (not the university kind). Gator turned, grabbed the dog and slid back into the water.

Mike, do you fish with a float or freelining?😊