Fly Tying
Swmalone

First Morrish mouse

I tried my hand at tying a morrish  mouse. I’m positive I need heavier thread. The uni 136D broke when I was really tensioning the deer hair. 

I also know I need to work on my trimming skills of the bottom. 

I’m looking for any additional feedback as well as any tips to keep everything from spinning around the hook shank. I’m pretty sure everything is going to end up on the bottom after a couple days f casts. 

121A4849-6A5B-4152-8369-A22757059254.jpeg

6D2B13E6-84F3-4916-BC69-FBD58FDADC6C.jpeg

EC15FB1A-9233-4BE6-AB53-AF0086276E3D.jpeg

CBE16E78-0E96-40F0-9117-E4A036469971.jpeg

CC8360AA-CC58-4AD5-A4AC-A382A553B3E8.jpeg

Edited by Swmalone
Corrected spelling

I don't tie those, so I can't critique.  But I'd fish that in any area with large predators.  Looks good to me.

I’m headed to Yellowstone in mid-October so I’m trying to tie some streamers and other things that might entice the large browns moving up the Madison. 

I don't spin and pack deer hair much, but I think it looks good. A tricky/touchy technique to even out/smooth out cut deer hair is to singe the ends with a butane lighter and brush off the soot.  Also if I'm packing and spinning deer hair, I use a gel spun thread for extra strength..  

Tried a few with foam and rabbit fur.   We bout decided the Splinter was easiest.  MourishMouse looks pretty simple too.   

49 minutes ago, denduke said:

Tried a few with foam and rabbit fur.   We bout decided the Splinter was easiest.  MourishMouse looks pretty simple too.   

I am looking a trying the master splinter as well. I want to get some different colored rabbit strips before trying that one. 

1 hour ago, niveker said:

I don't spin and pack deer hair much, but I think it looks good. A tricky/touchy technique to even out/smooth out cut deer hair is to singe the ends with a butane lighter and brush off the soot.  Also if I'm packing and spinning deer hair, I use a gel spun thread for extra strength..  

I had never heard of gel spun thread. Thanks for the heads up I will check it out. 

Might already be doing this, but make sure you're taking all the underfur out, and using deer hair that has a waxy feel to the bottom half or so. It should spin and flare pretty easy. 

9 hours ago, Swmalone said:

I had never heard of gel spun thread. Thanks for the heads up I will check it out. 

Its nice and strong, but a bit funky to work with.  Your scissors need to be VERY sharp, some say serrated scissors help, to cut it cleanly.  It is also very 'flossy', which actually helps in not cutting through the deer hair under pressure, but I find i need to spin the bobbin to get it to cord up and tie off.  Its also a bit expensive, but takes a marker well, so I only use the white (it may be called 'clear') and color it as needed. 

I agree with niveker on the gel spun - it's strong as steel and just as hard to cut - try NOT cutting it with scissors the normal way you use scissors.  Open your scissors just enough to "capture" the thread and the push forward without closing the scissors - like your slicing the thread and this may help.

I have been using a little comb that came where the beard trimmer to remove underfur. It always seems that after use no the hair stacker there is still a little left. I have never noticed a waxiness on the deer hair. I will have to check the couple pieces I have to see if either has it. 

Gel spun thread sounds like it could be interesting to work with. My scissors are a cheap pair, hopefully they will be up to the task and not make them any worse than they already are for the finer work. 

3 hours ago, Swmalone said:

I have never noticed a waxiness on the deer hair. I will have to check the couple pieces I have to see if either has it. 

If it's store bought it will be called spinning deer hair or all purpose hair. Spongy & waxy at the bottoms.

3 hours ago, Swmalone said:

I have been using a little comb that came where the beard trimmer to remove underfur. It always seems that after use no the hair stacker there is still a little left.

When you clip the hair off the hide, hold it tight at the tips with your left hand and pull the little hairs and fluff out with your right hand. Spread the hairs out with your right hand as you do this. You could use a comb, too, if needed. You should end up seeing only the big thick long hairs. Then stack it.

I agree with GSP thread for deer hair work.  Try to use the larger sizes (140d to 210d) for this size bug; smaller threads can cut the hair too easily.  But you're off to a great start.

Thanks Bob H