Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Why do you come to this site.

Why do you come to this fly tying forum?  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I had to choose "other".  I first came into this site because I was re-starting my fly fishing for Sunfish.  I was looking for Florida fly anglers who shared my area, trying to find new places to fish.  I signed up on about a dozen different sites, including this one.  I do not visit ANY of the other sites, because of the attitudes.  People who hold Bluegill so they appear larger than they are just ... irritate me.  Same with holding bass or any other fish.  It's just wrong, in my opinion.

THIS site was more about the fly tying than the fishing.  None of the other sites had that inclination.  Most of the personalities that were here then were very welcoming ... also something missing from the other sites.

I came because I like fly fishing.  I stayed because I like most of the people here.  Fly tying had little to do with it.

I checked them all except the "to display my flies".  While I do occasionally display a fly it's just not one of the reasons I check in.  For me t's a true joy to be able to read the commentary regarding fly fishing and the flies that work in other parts of the world.  Places that I probably will never have the opportunity to cast a line.  I know New England trout fishing because I'm born and raised in New England.   I really enjoy post from members in other locations, which flies they're tying and what's catching fish.  Some flies work anywhere in the world but others are region specific.  It's a fascinating part of our sport to me and it's great to come here and be able to ask questions and learn from people fishing in other parts of the globe.

At first I was  lurker then I finally joined in 2009 but didn't post or participate on the forum much except to read only, I have tied and fished for a long time but I am not comfortable with a on line presence in forums or web anything. I stayed with this forum due to the friendlier attitude sure there was some guys busting each others chops and I got a good chuckle out of the screen name changing and other good natured stuff at the time. It was all good natured and I posted very little and settled on this forum for my main on line social presence. Our sister sites and others I visited frequently (classic salmon and streamer sites)  but the attitudes and "expert" personalities where a large put off. I will say that the reference material lost on the other sites was devastating to anyone starting out in the classic salmon area and Bud G. always tried to hold the reins on the attitudes and always helped new tiers. Additionally there are other fly tying and fishing sites that seem to live on marginal participation.

This forum has continued when many others have lost their following, members come and go, but it is a fair balance of experienced and new fly tiers. Good attitudes overall, members willing to help each other, a place to learn and develop, join swaps, & see new and old tying techniques. All without the politics and bravado found on social media.   

I went for the camaraderie (yes, that is correct spelling) since I have such a pathetic lifestyle right now just having board interactions with real people helps me survive the day. I've had a couple of bad years for various reasons and COPD has diminished my lung capacity and now the Cap't Trip touring the planet is out to get me and those with weakened immune systems. So yes, I admit many of you, (even Evil Mike) help make my day brighter and the swaps give me lots of reasons to tie flies I don't get to fish myself but hopefully others will.

Camaraderie - (defined as)  mutual trust and friendship among people who spend a lot of time together.

This world has changed a lot this year. Not only with the world wide issues but personally for me as well. I found my self missing communication with people. Thats why I joined. This place has been a blessing. The opportunity to communicate with folks from all over that have shared interests. Its great!  

I can learn to tie on youtube

Im not really good enough to help anyone but a true beginner.

Lots of places to see new patterns

I do post  pictures here but thats not why I joined. 

I am 47 years old and the only thing I truly understand is that nothing is more important than relationships. I wish I had understood that sooner.  Everyone here was super welcoming when I joined. I remember being shocked at how cool people were. 

Mikechell- I still hope to get to Florida some day and catch some Bass with you!

😈  Come on down, Pbass! 

And anyone else interested if freshwater fly fishing in Central Florida.   All are welcome to visit.

11 hours ago, Pbass said:

Camaraderie - (defined as)  mutual trust and friendship among people who spend a lot of time together.

This world has changed a lot this year. Not only with the world wide issues but personally for me as well. I found my self missing communication with people. Thats why I joined. This place has been a blessing. The opportunity to communicate with folks from all over that have shared interests. Its great!  

I can learn to tie on youtube

Im not really good enough to help anyone but a true beginner.

Lots of places to see new patterns

I do post  pictures here but thats not why I joined. 

I am 47 years old and the only thing I truly understand is that nothing is more important than relationships. I wish I had understood that sooner.  Everyone here was super welcoming when I joined. I remember being shocked at how cool people were. 

Mikechell- I still hope to get to Florida some day and catch some Bass with you!

Well stated, PBass. I have been really impressed by the kindness and friendliness of the folks on this site. While I think I checked all,  it's really the friendly vibe that keeps me coming back and that one is definitely my top pick. 

Other.  To see Steelhead's work and follow his adventures vicariously o n the Au Sable.

Waiting to se MIkechell's account of his first steelhead hookup while wading  butt deep in icey spring water.

17 hours ago, vicrider said:

I went for the camaraderie (yes, that is correct spelling) since I have such a pathetic lifestyle right now just having board interactions with real people helps me survive the day. I've had a couple of bad years for various reasons and COPD has diminished my lung capacity and now the Cap't Trip touring the planet is out to get me and those with weakened immune systems. So yes, I admit many of you, (even Evil Mike) help make my day brighter and the swaps give me lots of reasons to tie flies I don't get to fish myself but hopefully others will.

Hmm, I spell checked it before I wrote it. This is what I got. "the project created a real sense of comradery among those involved". Yours is good too. I think I'll post a poll to see what spelling people prefer the most. 🤪😄

5 hours ago, Rocco said:

Other.  To see Steelhead's work and follow his adventures vicariously o n the Au Sable.

Waiting to se MIkechell's account of his first steelhead hookup while wading  butt deep in icey spring water.

Me too.

I checked all the squares, but "other".  Probably should have checked "other"   I've been on the site since 2004 based on what I've found in the archives.   I was pretty active on the FlyFish@ list back then and was looking for other fly fishing sites to sign up on.  Might have gotten a lead  from someone on FF@.   I knew Silver back then under another name.   A lot of the fly fishing web sites that were around back then are gone now.   This is one of the best still going.   There are always new patterns and styles of tying to learn

For me, other.  While the first five reasons do pertain to me, it’s more about broadening my own horizons with regard to materials, techniques, and general information.  There’s always something new on the flytying horizon and this place is the best source for information and discussion on it.  Takes the place of what used to be great print magazines long ago.

Nicest thing about any discussion forum is it often becomes a round robin style panel of ideas, opinions, and perspectives on any given subject.  Singular authority can be useful, but it often overlooks or misses something in it’s certainty and once a book or article is written, that’s it.

All told, it’s flytying and pertains not only to flyfishing for me, but to all other tackles I fish with.  The “craft” is the crux of it all, so to speak.  I make the vast majority of terminal tackle I fish with at the vise so crossover has become the norm.

Why do you come to this site

to check on my profile to see the same members coming back to check my profile over and over and again. 66,212 profile views so far 👍

why is that?

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e472t4gjnrun97zpe0npf

there's really nothing there that's very interesting. 🤕

i wish there was a counter to see how many times each returning member has viewed my profile 😀

i joined the site in 2004 learn a little more regarding fly tying and to view flies from a variety of fly tyers but now is just a dozen or so tyers posting flies

I've tried to get new tyers to post their flies in the fly of the month postings but very few if any post up photos 🤕

I'm now trying out doing videos but that's looking to be less interesting than my profile 

off to work on more videos and my blog

giphy-downsized.gif