Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Why do you come to this site.

Why do you come to this fly tying forum?  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, flytire said:

Why do you come to this site

to check on my profile to see the same members coming back to check my profile over and over and again. 66,212 profile views so far 👍

why is that?

Some of it has to do with cellphone browsing and (errant) thumb presses.  The close proximity of last post and profile on a cellphone screen often results in a miss or overshoot.  IOW, accidental profile views when trying to go to last post in a thread.  See below, then look at your phone screen, you'll understand.

Also, your avatar looks smaller than it is due to background color matching forum default.  In reality, the active area is the same as the typical round circle avatars like mine.  Folks think there is more space between and overshoot with the thumb press, hitting the active profile area.  

allthumbs.jpg.5e647c712972787dec598645d8fbcd11.jpg

21 minutes ago, knotjoe said:

Some of it has to do with cellphone browsing and (errant) thumb presses.  The close proximity of last post and profile on a cellphone screen often results in a miss or overshoot.  IOW, accidental profile views when trying to go to last post in a thread.  See below, then look at your phone screen, you'll understand.

Also, your avatar looks smaller than it is due to background color matching forum default.  In reality, the active area is the same as the typical round circle avatars like mine.  Folks think there is more space between and overshoot with the thumb press, hitting the active profile area.  

say what? cell phone browsing? its sunday and im must be in stupid mode😎

Knotjoe nailed it. I get directed to profiles all the time because my finger hits the name under the tread title when I was aiming for the actual thread title but missed it because of small screens and fat fingers. This happens to me on any touch screen not just cell phone screens. 

As any of you that look at the swap section knows I love to work with newer tiers - always have!  Always looking for new patterns that fish may not have seen before - with my fishing style it's the equivalent of telling the fish a new joke!  Even though I am God's gift to the fly tying world (YEAH RIGHT! :)) I always look at it that I can always improve.  It's sorta like a fly tier saying he's accumulated all known fly tying materials! (Remember - he who dies with the most toys wins!)  As far as displaying my flies, I figure it would be like me playing the part of the king's new clothes - VERY VERY ugly!  As far as comradery  - I didn't mark that because I've found that finds me anytime I'm around good people.  As far as "other" - well that would be like me eating at a restaurant and them having 20 choices of salad dressing and asking which one I want!

Kim

I’m on my iPhone now and the location of my avatar is NOT in the same location as shown in the above post and cannot be inadvertently touched

upper left on my screen 

id take a screen shot but I’m lazy today 

i don’t think that’s the total reason

45 minutes ago, flytire said:

I’m on my iPhone now and the location of my avatar is NOT in the same location as shown in the above post and cannot be inadvertently touched

upper left on my screen 

id take a screen shot but I’m lazy today 

i don’t think that’s the total reason

Maybe not the total reason, but probably the most frequent and typical reason.  Depends on what the default is on link saved.  Yours may look more like below if you can save the version as such.  The button circled toggle between the style in the first photo I posted and the version below.  Pretty cool software and it allows for nice customization of view options, many prefer the version closer to "full site" despite the cramped link buttons on cellphone sized devices w/touchscreen.

thumbfriendly.thumb.jpg.5396c6afa8459a06f99906744a0db85f.jpg

If you want similar visits to your Youtube channel, send Mark Knapp $500.00 and he'll change profile and last post links to be redirects to the video channel.  Everyone with a fat thumb is gonna learn how to tie a fine fly!😊

(it's a monthly fee, BTW)

it's not the avatar it's the little name of the thread creator that's located under the title of the thread. 

Yeah, Poopdeck...I hit that one all the time as well.  If there’s several pages, I’ll invariably end up in the OP’s profile trying to hit a page number.

3 hours ago, flytire said:

Why do you come to this site

to check on my profile to see the same members coming back to check my profile over and over and again. 66,212 profile views so far 👍

why is that?

there's really nothing there that's very interesting. 🤕

i wish there was a counter to see how many times each returning member has viewed my profile 😀

i joined the site in 2004 learn a little more regarding fly tying and to view flies from a variety of fly tyers but now is just a dozen or so tyers posting flies

I've tried to get new tyers to post their flies in the fly of the month postings but very few if any post up photos 🤕

I'm now trying out doing videos but that's looking to be less interesting than my profile 

off to work on more videos and my blog

giphy-downsized.gif

Norm, I have noticed that you regularly ask new people to post flies on "Flies from the vise" and guess what, we seldom get new posters. I know that it can be intimidating for new tiers to post. We have also noticed there are no female tiers posting and wondered why.

Change does not happen by itself, you have to make changes to make change happen. I've been asked to try to make this already wonderful site just a little bit less intimidating so that new tiers, young tiers and lady tiers might feel more comfortable posting.

Why so many people keep going back to your profile page, I couldn't say maybe it's because of the increasing interest in Sasquatch watching and you seem to have a connection.

Best of luck on the blog, looking forward to more videos.

2 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

it's not the avatar it's the little name of the thread creator that's located under the title of the thread. 

on my iphone 11, laptop and my desktop computer, clicking "flytire" and my "avatar" get me back to my profile page

try it on yours

2 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

+1, and the link to last poster that's near there, too;  plus my big fingers, bad eyes, cheap and small smartphone, declining fine motor skills... 

2 hours ago, knotjoe said:

Maybe not the total reason, but probably the most frequent and typical reason.  Depends on what the default is on link saved.  Yours may look more like below if you can save the version as such.  The button circled toggle between the style in the first photo I posted and the version below.  Pretty cool software and it allows for nice customization of view options, many prefer the version closer to "full site" despite the cramped link buttons on cellphone sized devices w/touchscreen.

thumbfriendly.thumb.jpg.5396c6afa8459a06f99906744a0db85f.jpg

If you want similar visits to your Youtube channel, send Mark Knapp $500.00 and he'll change profile and last post links to be redirects to the video channel.  Everyone with a fat thumb is gonna learn how to tie a fine fly!😊

(it's a monthly fee, BTW)

your screen shot is completely than what is on my phone

i dont have any of the "toggle for options" your pointing too

maybe its the way your phone carrier displays this website

at the bottom of this forum there used to be a button to push for the "mobile" version but its now gone with the latest softwareupgrade

sorry i'm nnot sending anybody any money to change anything to point to my youtube channel. i prefer to do it on my own . i dont beg for likes and views😃😃

5 minutes ago, flytire said:

your screen shot is completely than what is on my phone

i dont have any of the "toggle for options" your pointing too

maybe its the way your phone carrier displays this website

at the bottom of this forum there used to be a button to push for the "mobile" version but its now gone with the latest softwareupgrade

sorry i'm nnot sending anybody any money to change anything to point to my youtube channel. i prefer to do it on my own . i dont beg for likes and views😃😃

Wait, you have an I phone 11? I still use my S7 that I got when my 5 went kaput. I don't do anything on my phone though, except make calls. I do all my viewing and posting on my desk top.

And I'm with you, I don't beg for likes and views either. And I don't beg for or trade subs. with other guys either.