Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

How do you feel about this site?

How do you feel about this site?  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No body is saying this is a bad site, we are trying to make it the very best it can be. Please feel free to vote and please comment below if you like.

3 minutes ago, Sandan said:

You forgot most modest.

I didn't think I'd get any votes if I put that in. Didn't want to push it.

The moderators should just do their best. Rules are fine if they're plain and straightforward, but the only thing that really matters is the moderators' actions.

Since I didn't start this, I definitely couldn't check the last box.

While I don't agree that critiques should only be offered if asked for, I do agree that non-constructive debasing of a pattern or technique is not critique ... it's just insult.

It’s Friday And I’m at the bar, why are you bothering me?  Oh wait I looked you up. That’s how I feel about this site. 😁

I believe we should always be kind. I fail at it far too often. I try to remember that most people already carry enough burdens in life. Me acting like an jerk is not going to help anyone.

I like the site the way it is it'd be no fun if we all had to pussy foot around for fear of offending each other, as long as no one is actually being an ahole which in the 4ish years I've been here I haven't seen.  

I just wish all the "buttons" on the site worked properly.

Overall the site is fine the way it is. Most tiers ask for critique when they want it and I have not seen the " fly pattern expert" bashing that used to exist on other sites. There have been a few polite disagreements in posts and possibly a few ruffled feathers. Have not seen any outright harassment and cyber bullying but we need to remember some of the members are younger or inexperienced before you get on a soap box from a higher road, they may not know what they are doing. I had grandfathers that fished but my father never did and I was fortunate to find mentors in the fly tying and fishing world at that time. Today I would not want my grandchildren to explore the internet or the world without strong parental control it is a very different world from the 50's & 60's, I am saying this so we do not drive out the kids, this is a safe forum for them to post to and learn from. Fishing is not as popular with younger people as times past and I hope more will continue to find a path to it. Just my $.02

"It's important to me if people leave this site, or do not contribute, because they feel someone was harshly treated here. "

I clicked the "box" on the item above.  But to clarify: To me, it mainly matters if the person who was harshly treated feels bothered.  If someone leaves on account of what happened to someone else, I think that's a little much. What then do we do for the the person who leaves because someone left because of what happened to someone else?  Second hand and third hand disgust is to "too much" for me.

One thing I love about this is there is nothing to do with politics here. I have left other forums in the past because all they want to do is argue about politics. I have never seen this here.

7 hours ago, troutmaster08 said:

One thing I love about this is there is nothing to do with politics here. I have left other forums in the past because all they want to do is argue about politics. I have never seen this here.

Your statement reminded me of the the quote by Robert Traver at the link below (his books are good too)!

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/92339-i-fish-because-i-love-to-because-i-love-the

I think the site is just fine the way it is/was

Given the stated premise by moderators that “nothing is changing, it’s just current principles being put into written terms” this is a rather perplexing array of questions for a poll.  If there was an option of “This poll is a solution looking for a problem” I might have chosen that one for my vote.😆  Why?  I simply googled flytyingforum and constructive criticism and clicked more results like these.  Google will dump upon you well over a decade of politely stated and worded responses to forum submissions, questions, and displays of work.  This is impressive, try it and see.

Here’s a bit of thought on reality and flytying which may offend some, but I think it’s pretty accurate.  Fly submissions, in many cases, are not only displays of fish catching attributes or pure functionality.  This is especially true of named & famed recipes which often are functional, but also have a history of tradition and are often evaluated (at least partially) as an art form.  Once a person submits their example of a named and known pattern, that is an undeniable declaration of their pursuit of proper proportion, color, and material usage.  Follows logically such submissions will be evaluated and commented on accordingly.   The attributes addressed or critiqued in a given submission may or may not have anything to do with how well the fly functions and fishes, but those criteria were accepted by the tier who submitted the named and described recipe.  If easily offended, make up your own darn flies or recipes and tell us why they’re great.

Full disclosure, I’m a warmwater bass/bluegill kinda guy at the vise and we really don’t have these issues often.  For the aspiring troutsman at the vise, they need to understand that they are tacitly accepting these critiques and associated evaluative criteria when they chose to submit well known recipes.  It’s a different type of tying and often has an inseparable academic rigor associated with it.  No pain, no gain, know that going in if anything less than 100% positive approval hurts and always remember indifference hurts worse than anything in the long run.