Fly Tying
petelangevin

What rod would you pair this reel up with for a wall hanging?

Its a big old Langley Rifle and parts are scarce so im not going to fish it,  but its too nice to be hidden in a drawer.   Would you throw it on a old glass or bamboo rod?   

A498F8AA-C927-4298-8A24-E07CEC91EF19.jpeg

Looks similar to the old Pflueger reels. Rod? Whatever you want.   Like to go to antique shops. I have seen some decent fiberglass and bamboo rods that were made in Japan or somewhere overseas.

You know you are getting old when things that were new when you were a kid are in an antique shop!

16 hours ago, skeet3t said:

You know you are getting old when things that were new when you were a kid are in an antique shop!

I saw a laundry washer like my grandma had at an antique shop. I remembered it being as high as my shoulder, but it "shrank" to below my waist over the years.  I remember being "impressed" with it as a matter of curiosity as the one we had was all "closed up" and the older one was more like a big round open tub with something in the middle. I'm guessing it was not electric, but I could be wrong.

17 hours ago, petelangevin said:

Its a big old Langley Rifle and parts are scarce so im not going to fish it,  but its too nice to be hidden in a drawer.   Would you throw it on a old glass or bamboo rod?  

It looks nice, how did you come across it?  It will look nice on display.

I bought it in a group of reels off  craigslist.   Was going to use it because it is a big reel but decided against it when i read about scarcity of parts.   

If you could find an old Langley fiberglass rod, that would be ideal.  Otherwise, any fiberglass rod of that era, or one of those post WW2 Japanese bamboo rods.  

Personally I'm not a fan of fishing rods for decor. Never saw anything involving a rod that looked good. However, I've seen some very nice decor involving just the reel and maybe an old tin fly box or creel on a shelf. Just another option to consider.

12 hours ago, Bill_729 said:

I saw a laundry washer like my grandma had at an antique shop. I remembered it being as high as my shoulder, but it "shrank" to below my waist over the years.  I remember being "impressed" with it as a matter of curiosity as the one we had was all "closed up" and the older one was more like a big round open tub with something in the middle. I'm guessing it was not electric, but I could be wrong.

My mother had a Maytag wringer washer up until 1955 when we moved off the farm. Got electric washer and gas dryer. The old wringer washers were either electric or run off a small gas engine where folks didn't have electricity.

14 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

My mother had a Maytag wringer washer up until 1955 when we moved off the farm. Got electric washer and gas dryer. The old wringer washers were either electric or run off a small gas engine where folks didn't have electricity.

Thanks for your reply.  I enjoyed looking at them online.

11 hours ago, niveker said:

post WW2 Japanese bamboo rods

I bought one in 1966 at Big K store in Forest Park, GA. Ten bucks; refinished it several years ago and still fish with it.