Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

MCHELL

Mike, I saw a truck at the brewpub next door to my shop that had the license plate MCHELL. Don't tell me you're next door sipping on a sweet micro-brew and didn't even stop in to say "Hi"

If you see a truck ... then rest assured, it's not me.  I'd rather ride a toddler's tricycle than drive a truck.  But it is interesting that there might be another M. Chell out there.  Not related, I'm fairly sure.

There's actually several that come up on a search.

Hmm. My wife is on her second truck as the first one got totaled by a guy running a light. Why? Sits up above the traffic and surrounded by lots of metal. Besides, it can haul a lot of fishing tackle.

2 hours ago, mikechell said:

If you see a truck ... then rest assured, it's not me.  I'd rather ride a toddler's tricycle than drive a truck.  But it is interesting that there might be another M. Chell out there.  Not related, I'm fairly sure.

There's actually several that come up on a search.

We have two, be lost without them. I'm not saying yur a girly man or anything.....

Car's generally don't have enough clearance for the white stuff and they don't make snow plows that fit on cars.

We also carry a bunch of stuff around.

My Pops hated a truck but needed to haul stuff.   He had a number of El Caminos thru his life.   He hated having to step up into a PU...  Too bad not made anymore...

25B5F87F-D107-4641-BFB0-4FD108D0A20D.png

3 minutes ago, denduke said:

My Pops hated a truck but needed to haul stuff.   He had a number of El Cominos thru his life.   He hated having to step up into a PU...  Too bad not made anymore...

Yep, advantages and disadvantages to everything. I wouldn't be able to ice fish without a truck, heaven forbid.

Alaska has the highest rate of boats, private airplanes, pick-up trucks and labs (retrievers not meth) per capita of all the states.

"Per Capita" doesn't mean a lot when the entire population of Alaska is less than most major cities in the "lower 48".  😁

Like you said, Mark.  You NEED something besides a "car" because of the winter conditions.  Here, in Florida, trucks are just "status symbols".  They're more expensive than most cars, get worse fuel mileage, and don't go through sugar sand any better.  If trucks were still the inexpensive work horse vehicle they originated as, then I'd feel differently about them.

Actually, Arizona is the leader in per capita boat ownership, followed by Minnesota and Wisconsin. Florida has the most boats registered but not the leader per capita. Yes, go ahead and google it.

42 minutes ago, vicrider said:

Actually, Arizona is the leader in per capita boat ownership, followed by Minnesota and Wisconsin. Florida has the most boats registered but not the leader per capita. Yes, go ahead and google it.

It's a statistic I read in a paper boating magazine. I did Google it after you gave me permission too 😁 and I couldn't find anything with per capita data newer than 2014. Most everything I found newer than that was gross data. Can you show me a link? Not that I need to check up on you, I'm just curious.

I found one from 2016 that said Minn. was no.1 and Alaska 9th. Arizona was 23rd in 2016. So I wonder why the huge discrepancy.

47 minutes ago, mikechell said:

"Per Capita" doesn't mean a lot when the entire population of Alaska is less than most major cities in the "lower 48".  😁

Like you said, Mark.  You NEED something besides a "car" because of the winter conditions.  Here, in Florida, trucks are just "status symbols".  They're more expensive than most cars, get worse fuel mileage, and don't go through sugar sand any better.  If trucks were still the inexpensive work horse vehicle they originated as, then I'd feel differently about them.

Wouldn't per capita be the most accurate measure for a large state with a small population? If it was just done in total boats owned, we'd surely be on the bottom.

The weather, and we carry a lot of stuff.

I would think that "per household" would be the most accurate.  That way, the count doesn't include total population of children, etc.  That would actually "up" the percentage in Alaska.

7 minutes ago, mikechell said:

I would think that "per household" would be the most accurate.  That way, the count doesn't include total population of children, etc.  That would actually "up" the percentage in Alaska.

It might, if Alaskans had more children than all other states per capita.

How come you're still up? Since you're not next door having a beer, isn't it getting late at your house?

Yeah, but I have an appointment tomorrow at 8, so I don't have to be up at 4:30.  I'm usually just going to bed about this time anyway.  I rarely get more than 5 hours of sleep each night.