Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Boy am I having a good Sunday.

Went to a pond and had great fun when I finally figured out the fish were just under the surface. Had a beaded hares ear variation on. Changed it to an unweighted

one. Started catching bluegills, crappie and bass up to 20 inches on it.  After about 40 minutes there was a bolt of lightning and then thunder about 3 seconds later.

About 20 seconds later I was on the way home.    Waving a graphite rod in the air with lead in my butt does not agree with thunder.

Ricvk 

On 9/28/2020 at 3:31 PM, DFoster said:

It's a blue cheese selling for $65.00 a pound and I have to say it was pretty awesome!

While I truly do love the taste of bleu cheese ... I can't say I've ever paid that much for any.  Sure would be interested in trying it, though!

19 hours ago, vicente said:

I detest antler as a handle material

I don't like antler handles just because it doesn't look good to me.  But I do like the shape of that knife!

1 hour ago, Poopdeck said:

May I ask why you detest antler handle? I think it looks superb. It makes me want to go shed hunting in early spring. Is it difficult to work with?

It's not really that difficult, a big part of my dislike for it is that it's so often used just because it's antler, not because the piece they are using will actually make a good usable knife.  It's kinda the knife version of a giant lifted pickup with undercarriage lights and skinny tires on huge wheels. I'm a function first looks second kinda guy with knives I do like them too look good but I don't want to sacrifice ergonomics to do so.

Ahh, I just like looking at knives and never thought about the ergonomic thing. That antler would look great sticking out of my jelly jar though. 

Knife makers spend a lot of time looking at antler to find the sections that work right. The right size, the right taper, curved in the right place and straight in the right place. That one looks pretty good.

14 hours ago, mikechell said:

While I truly do love the taste of bleu cheese ... I can't say I've ever paid that much for any.  Sure would be interested in trying it, though!

Mike as with most super expensive foods your paying a lot more $$ for just a little more depth of flavor.  One year for my birthday my wife got me a $50 Partagas limited vintage cigar.  At the time a typical Partagas was $10. While it was a fine cigar and better than the usual $10 versions it certainly wasn't 5 times better.  I love cheese but not to the point of paying $65 a pound.  I'm thankful the owner offered us a free taste considering it's rated the #1 cheese in the world by some organization of connoisseurs I never heard of.   Personally speaking I can think of better uses for $65.   That said there are people out there with cheese cellars who collect the stuff they way some people collect fine wines. It's all where your passions lie.   I'm sure some of those cheese collectors would think were all crazy if they knew the amount of money, time and effort we spend on fly fishing. 

It was pretty damn tasty cheese though!

3 hours ago, vicente said:

Mark you've got the idea of seafood chowder stuck in my head, I think I'll have to make a big pot up on Saturday

Oh man, it was good. I substituted cauliflower for potatoes because the potatoes aren't kito-compliant.  Couldn't really even tell.

39 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Oh man, it was good. I substituted cauliflower for potatoes because the potatoes aren't kito-compliant.  Couldn't really even tell.

Nice I've had some cauliflower substitute stuff I liked a lot and some not so much, I'm not on a diet so I will have potatoes. I like to put kale in mine kinda ends up a bit like noodles.

45 minutes ago, vicente said:

Nice I've had some cauliflower substitute stuff I liked a lot and some not so much, I'm not on a diet so I will have potatoes. I like to put kale in mine kinda ends up a bit like noodles.

Wow, I've never heard of that. Enjoy.

I was never a fan of rice, potatoes (except sweet potatoes, I love sweet potatoes), noodles and the such because they all lack flavor unless you dump some kind of flavor on them like butter, sauce or whatnot. I ate the crap out of them but only because it soaked up the good stuff you slopped on top. My weight got out of control so I stopped eating the tasteless fillers like potatoes, rice and any kind of pasta. Ive been a veggie fan my entire life so it was an easy switch in form but I've learned that zucchini noodles (zoodles), cauliflower rice, and red quinoa pack way more flavor then the carb rich rice and pasta. Try the cauliflower rice with beef tips or the zoodles with anything you ate pasta with before and you won't miss pasta, potatoes or rice ever again. In fact you will wonder why you have been eating the tasteless stuff for so long. I use to tip the scales at 250 but now find it no problem to maintain 210 without any effort, all the while eating myself full. I was able to lose 30 lbs in two months simply by not eating mashed potatoes, bread, rice and pasta and walking 5 to 7 miles a night. 

Plenty of alternatives out there so give them a try. You may just end up liking them better.

16 hours ago, vicente said:

It's more of a diabetes thing. My quack (I mean doctor) says I have pre-diabetes. A blind knife maker with no fingers isn't going to making many knives. So.....

6 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

I was never a fan of rice, potatoes (except sweet potatoes, I love sweet potatoes), noodles and the such because they all lack flavor unless you dump some kind of flavor on them like butter, sauce or whatnot. I ate the crap out of them but only because it soaked up the good stuff you slopped on top. My weight got out of control so I stopped eating the tasteless fillers like potatoes, rice and any kind of pasta. Ive been a veggie fan my entire life so it was an easy switch in form but I've learned that zucchini noodles (zoodles), cauliflower rice, and red quinoa pack way more flavor then the carb rich rice and pasta. Try the cauliflower rice with beef tips or the zoodles with anything you ate pasta with before and you won't miss pasta, potatoes or rice ever again. In fact you will wonder why you have been eating the tasteless stuff for so long. I use to tip the scales at 250 but now find it no problem to maintain 210 without any effort, all the while eating myself full. I was able to lose 30 lbs in two months simply by not eating mashed potatoes, bread, rice and pasta and walking 5 to 7 miles a night. 

Plenty of alternatives out there so give them a try. You may just end up liking them better.

I'm finding the same things out.