Fly Tying
flytire

October Flies From The Vise

2 hours ago, Al Agelwei said:

I also fly fish for carp. People either hate them or love them, but I could see this fly in my carp box. (No offense intended).

I actually love carp and am going to try for some tommorow.

On 10/4/2020 at 1:32 AM, chugbug27 said:

Hey @SBPatt, looks good great as usual. Does the blue kool aid dye stay saturated on feathers or does it tend to wash out? And how much material can you dye with 2 packets? A whole hen neck?

Troutmaster08, Iknew you were a carper. That’s which box that fly belongs in !!

McFly, love that top fly in your set of 5. It’s gotta look great when wet. If you’re set up to do video, can you do one of that? Jamieo, like

your small stuff too. This time of year in Southern pa, the biggest fly we may use all day is an 18, unless you need an anchor fly.

10 hours ago, DarrellP said:

Criticism welcome.

Have you fished it or a profile like it? looking to see how it rides/swims on the swing or if it needs a hitch to wake. I like them, never fished shanks (yet)

Denson’s Hairwing Wickham

50423162497_d6834f4aa8_c.jpg

50422304523_0b914f49f1_c.jpg

50422304538_426875f4e2_c.jpg

hook - BVFT Dry #10
thread - Danville 6/0 black
tail - hackle dyed golden olive (4 Tsp Rit Golden Yellow, 1 Tsp Rit Camel)
rib - small wire gold
body - tinsel gold
hackle - grizzly dyed golden olive 
shoulder - sharptail grouse dyed golden olive
wing - fox squirrel

Regards,
Scott

3 hours ago, cphubert said:

Have you fished it or a profile like it? looking to see how it rides/swims on the swing or if it needs a hitch to wake. I like them, never fished shanks (yet)

I have.  It swims well.  You might want a sink tip to get it down.

4 hours ago, Al Agelwei said:

McFly, love that top fly in your set of 5. It’s gotta look great when wet. If you’re set up to do video, can you do one of that? Jamieo, like

your small stuff too. This time of year in Southern pa, the biggest fly we may use all day is an 18, unless you need an anchor fly.

Hey thanks!  Yeah are you talking about the caddis?  Snowshoe rabbit one?  I might do a video but i don’t think I’ve got it down yet enough for a video.  Give me a few weeks or more.  It’s not actually my pattern, just one I did for a customer who send me a photo of one he saw online.  I don’t know the name though.  

as for the tiny stuff.  I worked at a fly shop on the San Juan for a while.  We fished size 24-30, some guys as small as 32...  very small midges in those waters there.  The smaller the fly usually the bigger the trout you can fool.  But again it’s a game of wills, 22” trout hooked on a size 30 midge just don’t come in all that easy.  I’ll attach a photo of a size 30 midge next to a size 14...  

07FED923-CE0B-491F-B7F3-A34BA76FEA7D.jpeg

Ok McFly,  our tail water is a caddis factory in the spring and early summer, but whence tricos come out, its tricos and midges, bwo’s and midges, midges and midges, and if I’m not mistaken, a few midges. Th caddis you had was a pupa, not LaFontaine style, but had mass in the back. I think I’ve seen this fly before, Cream or tan body, dk. Brown head. The top of your 5 pictures.

I like those 2 midges you got here too. Except when I use x~small ultra wire. It’s so thin it just doesn’t show up. It’s really all I have access to right now.

10 minutes ago, Al Agelwei said:

Ok McFly,  our tail water is a caddis factory in the spring and early summer, but whence tricos come out, its tricos and midges, bwo’s and midges, midges and midges, and if I’m not mistaken, a few midges. Th caddis you had was a pupa, not LaFontaine style, but had mass in the back. I think I’ve seen this fly before, Cream or tan body, dk. Brown head. The top of your 5 pictures.

I think the caddis was a dry fly, being snowshoe rabbit it will sit on top, but you might be right.  I was copying another fly.  However I might have not gotten it right.   

as for btw, trico and midge factory, yeah man, I know what you mean!  Haha!  I fished so many tail waters that pretty much 80% of the year is tiny stuff...  I hear ya man!   Fun, yet frustrating as well.  You watch these other people fish size 14 and are like (going small now) and just laugh!  Haha!  

• I gotta ask you something. I’ve been on this site 1 day,and it’s a cool site. But earlier today I was ranked a rookie member, tonite I’m an advanced member. I don’t understand that part of the site.

dont worry about it

its part of the silly forum software that assigns the values

when you post over some magical number the value changes