Fly Tying
flytire

October Flies From The Vise

I run the eye through a little soft wax which brings the eye together and then wipe the excess wax off between my fingertips and then apply a little flex or flow uv and again run it through my fingertips to remove excess before hitting it with the torch.

On 10/17/2020 at 11:49 PM, Mark Knapp said:

Here's something fun, Blacknose Dace with just one animal.

DSCF5822-X3.jpg

Here's a wolverine head and neck skin with a nice throat patch on it.

DSCF5829-X3.jpg

I clipped three colors of hair from it,

DSCF5830-X3.jpg

tied a fairly sparse one from it,

DSCF5842.JPG

and a couple of shaggier ones.

DSCF5846-X3.jpg

One thing I noticed about wolverine hair is it doesn't taper as much as other hairs and furs. When you stack it, the ends look chopped.

DSCF5850-X3.jpg

Then just for fun I tied one with all feathers, my first attempt at marrying wings.

Mark,

This gives me an idea.  I've noticed in recent years, Tyers are adding more and more materials to test our tying prowess.  A lot of those flies are catching quality fish.  I'd like to go in the opposite direction and start tying with the just 2 or 3 materials and see if I can still catch quality fish.  

As with your Black Nose Dace, you have the Badger, red yarn tail and the silver tinsel, is it a necessity to have the over tinsel or is the red yarn tail a necessity?

Hmmmmmm.  A new challenge to work on.

Michael

17 minutes ago, essequamvideri said:

start tying with the just 2 or 3 materials and see if I can still catch quality fish.  

I have caught many nice trout on Zebra midges; just thread and wire (and a bead, on occasion).

Regards,
Scott

31 minutes ago, essequamvideri said:

Mark,

This gives me an idea.  I've noticed in recent years, Tyers are adding more and more materials to test our tying prowess.  A lot of those flies are catching quality fish.  I'd like to go in the opposite direction and start tying with the just 2 or 3 materials and see if I can still catch quality fish.  

As with your Black Nose Dace, you have the Badger, red yarn tail and the silver tinsel, is it a necessity to have the over tinsel or is the red yarn tail a necessity?

Hmmmmmm.  A new challenge to work on.

Michael

Hi Mike, It's a wolverine, not that it matters much to your point.

In the art world, they call what you are talking about "using a limited pallet" It is kind of thing. That's the nice thing about this endeavor, we can go in any direction we want. I'm sure it would be fun to see just what one could get away with in limitting the pallet.

In the case with my current flies, I'm exploring the different ways to build a Blacknose Dace. The original called for all these elements ( the red tag, the body tinsel and the counter wrap tinsel, the three colors of wing, etc.) so I'm looking for different ways to build the fly using different materials for those elements.

Certainly, the fly can be tied and successfully fished, I am sure, with fewer elements. It would be a fun experiment with that.

McPhail’s Sedgehog (variation)

50505663036_02eec10673_c.jpg

50505663141_9d7d6ee47c_c.jpg

50505663076_34a5ed74e7_c.jpg

A few minor changes to his original; the grouse I have doesn’t go as well with the orange wing as the pheasant rump.

hook - WFC Model 11 #10
thread - Danville 6/0 black
tail - golden pheasant crest over UniStretch yellow 
body - Ice Dub black 
wing(s) - deer hair dyed rusty orange
legs - knotted pheasant tail
collar - pheasant rump dyed brown

Regards,
Scott

1 hour ago, SBPatt said:

I have caught many nice trout on Zebra midges; just thread and wire (and a bead, on occasion).

Regards,
Scott

1 hour ago, Mark Knapp said:

Hi Mike, It's a wolverine, not that it matters much to your point.

In the art world, they call what you are talking about "using a limited pallet" It is kind of thing. That's the nice thing about this endeavor, we can go in any direction we want. I'm sure it would be fun to see just what one could get away with in limitting the pallet.

In the case with my current flies, I'm exploring the different ways to build a Blacknose Dace. The original called for all these elements ( the red tag, the body tinsel and the counter wrap tinsel, the three colors of wing, etc.) so I'm looking for different ways to build the fly using different materials for those elements.

Certainly, the fly can be tied and successfully fished, I am sure, with fewer elements. It would be a fun experiment with that.

Cool that I can think in the art world turns, even if I didn't know the terms. Just thought it would be interesting to go in a different direction from the masses.

Michael

8 minutes ago, essequamvideri said:

Cool that I can think in the art world turns, even if I didn't know the terms. Just thought it would be interesting to go in a different direction from the masses.

Michael

Yes, do it. Let us know what happens.

1 hour ago, SBPatt said:

McPhail’s Sedgehog (variation)

50505663036_02eec10673_c.jpg

50505663141_9d7d6ee47c_c.jpg

A few minor changes to his original; the grouse I have doesn’t go as well with the orange wing as the pheasant rump.

hook - WFC Model 11 #10
thread - Danville 6/0 black
tail - golden pheasant crest over UniStretch yellow 
body - Ice Dub black 
wing(s) - deer hair dyed rusty orange
legs - knotted pheasant tail
collar - pheasant rump dyed brown

Regards,
Scott

@SBPatt, as always very nice work. I'm really digging the knotted legs on your "hogs".

12 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Great looking small bait fly Caloosa... what's that body made up of?

Thanks Capt! It’s just a some red chenille. A few turns of Palmer chenille, then some white ep reverse tied in front.

On 10/4/2020 at 1:00 PM, chugbug27 said:

Another Adams Midge, this time on a true standard #22 (WFC Model 3)

2118850365_Adamsmidgereal22.jpg.b896af8fb124d9c8e06f578e9c809a91.jpg

Do you fish this as a dropper on a larger fly?  It looks like it would stay in the film. 

5 hours ago, LasVegasBill said:

Do you fish this as a dropper on a larger fly?  It looks like it would stay in the film.

Well, dry but it's not high above the film, right?... I like to fish dries and emergers alone, even small ones, but you could tie it to the bend of an attractor if you prefer that. I'm prone to tangles so I keep it simple.

Blue-Professor-1080.jpg

Blue Professor 

Hook – Wet fly style

Thread – White under floss body, black for the head

Tag – Flat gold tinsel

Tail – Dyed red duck or goose quill segments

Ribbing – Flat gold tinsel

Body - Blue floss or uni stretch

Hackle - Brown hen

Wings – Mallard flank