Jump to content
Fly Tying
flytire

October Flies From The Vise

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, Mogup said:

Rube Cross’s  “Rainbow”. Sz 14

 

Very pretty, and tidy. And the quill.

your stimi is really nice Scott.

Nice stuff everybody.

I'm waiting for the 32 Chug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Thanks @Mogup, and 👍 on the dark chocolate hendrickson 

Chugbug27,

This was my prize at the bottom of the “Cracker Jack Box”

FD945AFB-CE99-4887-9504-C1CFCEF3108B.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Mark

Rube Cross was probably the best Catskill tier out of the legendary bunch though he was pretty ornery 

and didn’t show people his tying techniques.  Apparently he tied in his kitchen which was in the back of the house 

so when he had company over they couldn’t snoop through his stuff.  Eventually he wote and lublished some books 

but some say he purposely put some red herrings in the book with regards to his tying .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20201009_174659.thumb.jpg.fa5b8536f607b26d8d513b5cd93ade8a.jpg

Golden Retriever

Hook: Mustad size 8, 2X heavy, 3X long

Body: Red floss, lead(free) underbody. 

Ribbing: Gold estaz

Tail: Tan marabou

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Mogup said:

Thanks Mark

Rube Cross was probably the best Catskill tier out of the legendary bunch though he was pretty ornery 

and didn’t show people his tying techniques.  Apparently he tied in his kitchen which was in the back of the house 

so when he had company over they couldn’t snoop through his stuff.  Eventually he wote and lublished some books 

but some say he purposely put some red herrings in the book with regards to his tying .

Harry Darbee had to take apart Rube Cross flies to learn how to tie 'em since Cross was well, pretty cross with anyone who wanted to learn from him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Firkin

50442013187_b5fcd0ef8b_c.jpg

50442008647_ed539244e4_c.jpg

50441823961_fb4ba5759a_c.jpg


Another one from the Softhackle blog; attributed to George Barron, from his book A Fine Line.

hook - WFC Model 6 #8
thread - Danville 6/0 black
tail - hen grizzly dyed Silver Doctor blue (2 packs Koolaid Ice Blue Raspberry/1 cup water)
rib - small tinsel silver
body - dubbing dark grey/red
hackle - hen black

Regards,
Scott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jamieofthenorth said:

Yessir! Stocking up for when I target the this Monday. 

So white marabou,orange dubbing,etsvez ribbing,gold bead ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, SBPatt said:

Firkin

Another one from the Softhackle blog; attributed to George Barron, from his book A Fine Line.

hook - WFC Model 6 #8
thread - Danville 6/0 black
tail - hen grizzly dyed Silver Doctor blue (2 packs Koolaid Ice Blue Raspberry/1 cup water)
rib - small tinsel silver
body - dubbing dark grey/red
hackle - hen black

Regards,
Scott

Beautiful fly. I love fishing bugs like this in the ponds in winter. Thanks for the link, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Mogup said:

So white marabou,orange dubbing,etsvez ribbing,gold bead ?

Close... red floss for the body, tan marabou for the tail. Very popular pattern in my parts. I did quite well with it a few weeks ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mogup said:

Chugbug27,

This was my prize at the bottom of the “Cracker Jack Box”

FD945AFB-CE99-4887-9504-C1CFCEF3108B.jpeg

I didn't even know they still made Cracker Jacks.  Or that they were still sold with that name.  BUT, after seeing this, I'm glad I haven't eaten any in a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...