Jump to content
Fly Tying
flytire

October Flies From The Vise

Recommended Posts

Patriot_Caddis_1080.jpg

Patriot Caddis (Trude style)

Hook - Standard dry fly

Thread - Black

Body - Blue, red, blue tinsel

Wing - White calf tail

Hackle - Brown rooster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Squirrelly Hairhog

50520795193_c0e360caae_c.jpg

50521696912_35aae04f70_c.jpg

50521518661_9cb13e1358_c.jpg

Winging came from some zonker strip remnants. Waste not...

hook - BVFT Dry #10
thread - Danville 6/0 brown 
wing(s) - pine squirrel dyed rust
body - Ice Dub rust 
1st shoulder - pheasant rump dyed orange (1 Tbs Rit Sunshine Orange/1 cup water)
2nd shoulder - pheasant rump dyed brown

Regards,
Scott 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s my first submission. I’ve been practicing my royal Wulffs. Size 12. Probably my favorite fly. I’m looking for some advice. When transitioning the hackle wraps from behind the wings to the front. It always seems to slide down the tapered thread dam. Any suggestions?  I use moose for the tail and calf tail for the wings. Thanks John 1379B736-95AE-4B56-BE7D-E02C19719436.thumb.jpeg.ef36740ba6f0c34121a3c6465e553e80.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Foreman’s Favorite Deerhair Sedge

50521720898_fddbe8750c_c.jpg

50522443726_53da760606_c.jpg

50522443571_488a33bc48_c.jpg

hook - BVFT Dry #10
thread - Veevus 8/0 tan 
tag- Depth Ray fire orange/resin 
rib - medium tinsel pearl
body - dubbing hare’s ear 
wing - deer hair 
hackle - hare’s mask

Regards,
Scott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Upstate said:

When transitioning the hackle wraps from behind the wings to the front. It always seems to slide down the tapered thread dam. Any suggestions? 

yes

instead of tapered thread wraps in front of the wing, the wraps should be level.

this will stop the hackle from wrapping down a slope. then wrap your hackle from behind the wind to in front of the wing on nice level wraps of thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Upstate said:

I’m looking for some advice. When transitioning the hackle wraps from behind the wings to the front. It always seems to slide down the tapered thread dam. Any suggestions?  

First, welcome to the site. You've found the best part.

Re your question... Reduce your thread dam to a minimum and instead, after you wrap around each wing post, pull each wing backward toward the bend with your tying thread and lock / wrap the thread in behind the wing posts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Upstate said:

Here’s my first submission. I’ve been practicing my royal Wulffs. Size 12. Probably my favorite fly. I’m looking for some advice. When transitioning the hackle wraps from behind the wings to the front. It always seems to slide down the tapered thread dam. Any suggestions?  I use moose for the tail and calf tail for the wings. Thanks John

Here are a couple of tricks courtesy of Al and Gretchen Beatty (scroll down to the bottom of the page. "Up the hill" and "Down the hill".):

https://www.btsflyfishing.com/Tips_Tricks/TT.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...