Fly Tying
vicrider

Covid be damned...We're doing Christmas Swap

Consider me in, Nick!  "Work from home" schedule cleared up this morning, so I was able to squeeze in a bit of tying.  I'll put together a panfish/warmwater box for my contribution.

Thanks for hosting!

Chris

finished mine yesterday night . planned to mail wednesday but will have to wait till thursday.      happy veterans day to the veterans   thank you

Mine is ready, but every time I go to put in in the packaging a new idea for a pattern pops up, it’s turned into quite a medley of flies, it will be on the way soon

Swopmiester may let you back date it if you can get your flies to him by the cut-off date.

Not sure what the top two posts are about but I did officially extend dates for getting flies in to 28th. PO was slowing down but seems okay lately but I'll be okay with anything I get by end of month.

Nick AKA Secret Santa...

This is to apologize in advance to who ever gets my set. I had wanted to send a very old fly pattern that isn't tied much anymore because the materials are no longer available. The pattern is an old Great Smoky Mountains pattern called the "Yallerhammer." It was originally tied with  the wing feather of a Yellow Flicker woodpecker which is now on the endangered list. It was originally tied as a trout pattern, but I've read several reports that it's a real killer of a Panfish fly. But I found a fly shop in Brevard, NC that sells a wing feather from another bird dyed to almost the exact shade of yellow as the Yellow Flicker. The fly shop says that it's just the smallest bit off to make it distinguishable to the DNR guys. But, alas, tying in that wing feather requires a technique that I have yet to master and time was running out for me, so I substituted another pattern that has been good to me. I've caught both Bluegills (Bream to us Southern guys) as well as small largemouth bass. No 10 pounders on it yet. If who ever gets my set wants to know the names of the patterns I tied, please PM me. I'll be glad to share that info. And thanks to Vicrider for his patience and endurance in running this swap year after year. Hope you all have the merriest of Christmases. 

BB

Hi Breambuster,

Do you have a step by step for the Yallerhammer?  I have not yet tried to search for it and was hoping you had a reference link.

Thanks,

Tim

No, Doc. That would be pretty easy to tie and the materials would be easy to find. In the original pattern a wing feather is split in half from end to end. The body is peacock herl, and the longer half of the wing feather is palmered from the start of the hook bend to the hook eye. Then the feather is trimmed shorter at the tail and longer at the head. This is not hackle as in your picture, but a feather from a bird’s wing.