Fly Tying
Pbass

Vise for Streamers?

15 hours ago, Pbass said:

Hi. Any suggestions for a vise for bigger freshwater fly's?

Personally, I’m looking at the Regal Revolution with some optimism if I were to buy another vise.  I like the extra room on straight jaws and Regal puts all the lever crap on the side of the jaws (for the most part).  Cams levers are great until you flip it over and it’s in the way of materials, same for offset jaws at an angle.

Clouser Minnow vise concepts (Renzetti) are pretty sweet, too.  If you can grab a non-cam option it would be near perfect for long streamers.  Clean and roomy!  Cams aren’t inherently bad, just the location is in bad areas for access and intrusion on long winging materials.

Below is some quick & crappy snaps of what I do now, even with the straight Patriot jaws the big ‘ol cam lever is  annoyingly in the way when rotated.  Really dumb placement on a rotary vise if you ask me because it gets in the way when doing the long top wing, easier just to flip the darn fly instead of rotating and fighting with the lever intrusion.  Tests my patience on closure wraps and even fiber distribution around shank when trying to get proper lay.  Untrimmed streamers can be quite floppy as with as anything having legs left long for tie-back conveniences so space + material clip options is essential.  Patriot is good up top for this, underneath is the big nasty lever though.

patclous.jpg.a07a2867335cdf5ab87076c7f8965fa2.jpg

Griffin Odyssey (and most offsets) are awesome for little flys, way too cramped and crooked for longer stuff.  While I've done it in the past, one can see how lack of space is a huge issue even for simple top/bottom tie fiber minnows.  Won't even address in detail large craw patterns and big in-the-rounds for this vise (SUCKS!).

grifclou1.jpg.4c9c50553d0661219356c56c76193178.jpg 

grifclou2.jpg.92b07a8c27e079e16ac1ba4bfccdd92f.jpg

Whatever you choose, I suggest long straight and narrow jaws with minimal protrusions in the material space.  There ain’t many options when ya get right down to it and they’re all pricey (but, IMO, probably worth it).

Edited by knotjoe
cuz

I grabbed these photos off the web with absolutely no permissions, so someone should get credit for them.  Casey Smart on the first, CGG (StripersOnline) for the second pic.  

noncam2.jpg.83f2248b7e86199b9bccb27ed9471ba1.jpg

noncam1.jpg.0e540d133a1e3d9ea5569193a6bf9783.jpg

To me, this represents probably the best solution for long streamers and doesn't involve the obnoxious cam levers in the material space.  No idea if Renzetti still makes simple screw-downs, but I'm gonna keep an open mind toward them if they do.  They seem to have gone "cam crazy" like everyone else.  PBass, if you can do something like the above concepts with a Clouser arm on your vise, you've probably got the best solution partially done accomplished right in front of you.  

16 hours ago, Mogup said:

Dyna King 

CAE0A71C-85E4-4F2C-A0F1-B5E7A5D3DF69.jpeg

Yep. I tie on the old school professional, works great. Saw your other post about the grooves in the jaws. As you said it takes a little fiddling, but they work just great. I'd have jumped on that half price barracuda, but my Pro gets the job done. A couple of pics. At the tip, first groove, second groove and second groove jaws horizontal. For big, long hooks I use the grooves. This is a size 2, Dai Riki 710. 3x long, 1x strong in the vise. It's a solid, bulletproof platform. 

PHOTO_20201003_110851.jpg

PHOTO_20201003_110941.jpg

PHOTO_20201003_110906.jpg

PHOTO_20201003_110919.jpg

PHOTO_20201003_111502.jpg

PHOTO_20201003_112306.jpg

I've been using a Danvise for 20 or so years.  I was looking reasonably priced rotary vise and for $80 at the time it was a good buy.  It's jaws were set at an angle like most vises, but shortly after I got it.  I was on a work trip out to Stockton, CA, and I stopped in at a local fly shop.  The owner had vise set up behind the counter to tie flies.  It was a Danvise but in a different configuration with the jaws straight with plenty of room to tie a large streamer or bait fish pattern.  He showed me how to change the alignment which I did when I got home.  Here's a couple of pictures.

Fire Tiger Perch.jpg

002_3.jpg

1 hour ago, knotjoe said:

doesn't involve the obnoxious cam levers in the material space

With the Renzetti clouser attachment, if you want the cam lever hidden, you can loosen the screw on the jaw wide enough so the cam lever is flush with the back of the vise when it's tightened. There's a pocket in the clouser attachment designed for that very thing. $50

Thanks, chugbug27!  I was wondering about the Clouser/Cam series on that very issue.  Most of the photos I could find typically show the lever in wide open position and it tells little of the movement range.  If the Cam series can get to flush/nearly flush with the arm, it certainly makes the that particular Renzetti idea very appealing.   

Nice price on the Traveler series, too.  

9 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

With the Renzetti clouser attachment, if you want the cam lever hidden, you can loosen the screw on the jaw wide enough so the cam lever is flush with the back of the vise when it's tightened. There's a pocket in the clouser attachment designed for that very thing. $50

That would be the most cost effective way for me to go. I do want a second vise for my boys anyway. 

It looks like you can turn the Dyna King a quarter turn and then rotate the jaws to get a profile  like the Clouser arm. 

2 hours ago, Rocco said:

The HMH with the maximum size jaw adaptor IMO can handle any streamer tying need,  

Those look nice for sure

10 hours ago, Sandan said:

Yep. I tie on the old school professional, works great. Saw your other post about the grooves in the jaws. As you said it takes a little fiddling, but they work just great. I'd have jumped on that half price barracuda, but my Pro gets the job done. A couple of pics. At the tip, first groove, second groove and second groove jaws horizontal. For big, long hooks I use the grooves. This is a size 2, Dai Riki 710. 3x long, 1x strong in the vise. It's a solid, bulletproof platform. 

PHOTO_20201003_110851.jpg

PHOTO_20201003_110941.jpg

PHOTO_20201003_110906.jpg

PHOTO_20201003_110919.jpg

PHOTO_20201003_111502.jpg

PHOTO_20201003_112306.jpg

Thank you for all of the pictures and info! I can see what your are saying. When that arm is down level it gives you great access to both the upper and lower sides of the fly. Its a clean looking vise as well. I like it! Thanks again!

I use my old dyna kingfisher. Only use it for bigger stuff since getting my rotary vise. I removed the head and my dad welded a bolt to the end that fit in the base. Works much better this way. Dyna kind jams are awsome for big stuff! 

20201004_174343.jpg

18 hours ago, Landon P said:

I use my old dyna kingfisher. Only use it for bigger stuff since getting my rotary vise. I removed the head and my dad welded a bolt to the end that fit in the base. Works much better this way. Dyna kind jams are awsome for big stuff! 

20201004_174343.jpg

Nice! I like that too! Thanks for posting!