Fly Tying
Pbass

Vise for Streamers?

I have been happy with my Regal Medallion.   Not great for small flies.  If I were tying a lot of small stuff, I would get midge jaws.  It has a groove for larger hooks.  It holds an HMH tube adapter well.  I have not been happy with how it hols intruder shanks.

On 10/3/2020 at 5:02 AM, flytire said:

renzetti travelers for my streamers

however i dont tie large pike flies but it would be able to handle them

or get one of the peak jurassic series

JS1-G2-cropped-6x6-no-mount-0034-o1hei0k

https://peakfishing.com/products/lirs-product-family/

I ran across this video on youtube.   It would seem if your tying large flies this is the way to go, provided that (1) you have another vise for smaller flies and (2) you're going to tie enough large flies to justify the purchase.  Good Luck!

2 hours ago, Mogup said:

Bam !  Tying up a Breast Cancer donation on the old workhorse.

C2F33294-71E3-4B0B-A81B-25152A608E26.jpeg

Awesome fly and vise!! Good job!

On 10/6/2020 at 6:12 AM, DFoster said:

I ran across this video on youtube.   It would seem if your tying large flies this is the way to go, provided that (1) you have another vise for smaller flies and (2) you're going to tie enough large flies to justify the purchase.  Good Luck!

I have never seen one of these before. Interesting choice. Looks like the best for big salt stuff. I think I am about sold on the Dyna King at this point.

11 hours ago, Mogup said:

Bam !  Tying up a Breast Cancer donation on the old workhorse.

C2F33294-71E3-4B0B-A81B-25152A608E26.jpeg

why are you teasing us with all that JC?

1 hour ago, Sandan said:

why are you teasing us with all that JC?

Sandan I buy a low grade jc neck and I use UV to fix the splits and they are used on my working flies .  Works out well . JC really is a nice add on the saltwater stuff and I don’t feel bad using it and I can give a few flies away .

Most everything I tie is a larger streamer and my Regal has worked well for me for over 20 years.  A long time ago I had an HMH and larger hooks continually slipped no matter how well tightened down and so it had to go.

18 hours ago, Pbass said:

Awesome fly and vise!! Good job!

Thanks PBass. One winter many moons ago I was at a small flyfishing show in CT and it had been snowing pretty heavy since morning and the venue was almost completely empty and I was walking around and saw a tyer at a table surrounded by some amazing deer bugs . He had a Dyna King Barracuda and he kept his vise head pretty much at belt level and he had an extender that pretty much kept the fly almost in his lap. Didn’t know him at the time but the tyer was Chris Helm and I sat with him by myself for almost an hour as he showed me how to tie one of his famous mouses !  He talked to me about deer hair and skins and threads and boy that was worth the price of admission.  After that I would call him for an order once or twice a year and it was always a long conversation.  All I can say was that he was a very nice man who was helpful getting you something even it there was no monetary gain for him. I was sadden to hear of his lose of health and eventual death as he was one of the good guys !

16 hours ago, Mogup said:

Thanks PBass. One winter many moons ago I was at a small flyfishing show in CT and it had been snowing pretty heavy since morning and the venue was almost completely empty and I was walking around and saw a tyer at a table surrounded by some amazing deer bugs . He had a Dyna King Barracuda and he kept his vise head pretty much at belt level and he had an extender that pretty much kept the fly almost in his lap. Didn’t know him at the time but the tyer was Chris Helm and I sat with him by myself for almost an hour as he showed me how to tie one of his famous mouses !  He talked to me about deer hair and skins and threads and boy that was worth the price of admission.  After that I would call him for an order once or twice a year and it was always a long conversation.  All I can say was that he was a very nice man who was helpful getting you something even it there was no monetary gain for him. I was sadden to hear of his lose of health and eventual death as he was one of the good guys !

What a great story and opportunity! I am glad you got to have that experience. 

3 hours ago, Bimini15 said:

+1 for Regals.

I wanted a Regal for quite a while. I have tied on one an liked it. Now I have two children (boys) that tie or want to tie. I am concerned with the tendency for Regal vises to spit out hooks if the hooks are not inserted correctly. I have never seen this but I have heard a lot about it. I want the boys to be able to use the vise so at this point Regal is out for me. I am not saying that it is a problem for an adult to use but children will undoubtedly put the hook in wrong sooner or later.  I am leaning towards the Dyna King. Thank you!

46 minutes ago, Pbass said:

I wanted a Regal for quite a while. I have tied on one an liked it. Now I have two children (boys) that tie or want to tie. I am concerned with the tendency for Regal vises to spit out hooks if the hooks are not inserted correctly. I have never seen this but I have heard a lot about it. I want the boys to be able to use the vise so at this point Regal is out for me. I am not saying that it is a problem for an adult to use but children will undoubtedly put the hook in wrong sooner or later.  I am leaning towards the Dyna King. Thank you!

E43543F7-6542-4175-BAEB-64DD3D20EA86.jpeg