Fly Tying
Pbass

Vise for Streamers?

I've seen a fly tying video where a hook spit out but it wasn't a regal so I would assume a lot of vises could potentially spit a hook if not inserted correctly. I've heard the stories about regal but I heard it was only associated with the earliest regals and the problem, if it did exist more so than other vises, has been corrected.  My Regal is an early one and I've never spit a hook and I don't pay much attention to how i put a hook in the jaw. Spitting hooks is also associated with small, very small hooks. Never heard streamer hooks being spit out. 

On 10/3/2020 at 10:02 AM, Sandan said:

Yep. I tie on the old school professional, works great. Saw your other post about the grooves in the jaws. As you said it takes a little fiddling, but they work just great. I'd have jumped on that half price barracuda, but my Pro gets the job done. A couple of pics. At the tip, first groove, second groove and second groove jaws horizontal. For big, long hooks I use the grooves. This is a size 2, Dai Riki 710. 3x long, 1x strong in the vise. It's a solid, bulletproof platform. 

PHOTO_20201003_110851.jpg

PHOTO_20201003_110941.jpg

PHOTO_20201003_110906.jpg

PHOTO_20201003_110919.jpg

PHOTO_20201003_111502.jpg

PHOTO_20201003_112306.jpg

After a lot of pondering I am almost %100 sure the Dyna King professional is the one for me. I downloaded the product manual and it says that It can be used as a rotary vice as well? Can you tell me how smooth is the rotation is? Is it really usable in this model? I really like how clean and simple this vise is and the fact that it will lay horizontal for Clouser minnows and fly's like that. Thank you for your help 

2 hours ago, Mogup said:

E43543F7-6542-4175-BAEB-64DD3D20EA86.jpeg

It is between the DK indexer and the  DK professional. But you guys have me sold on DK! Thank you for your help!

4 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I've seen a fly tying video where a hook spit out but it wasn't a regal so I would assume a lot of vises could potentially spit a hook if not inserted correctly. I've heard the stories about regal but I heard it was only associated with the earliest regals and the problem, if it did exist more so than other vises, has been corrected.  My Regal is an early one and I've never spit a hook and I don't pay much attention to how i put a hook in the jaw. Spitting hooks is also associated with small, very small hooks. Never heard streamer hooks being spit out. 

Thank you for the clarification. I have tied a couple times on a Regal and had no issues. 

20 hours ago, Pbass said:

After a lot of pondering I am almost %100 sure the Dyna King professional is the one for me. I downloaded the product manual and it says that It can be used as a rotary vice as well? Can you tell me how smooth is the rotation is? Is it really usable in this model? I really like how clean and simple this vise is and the fact that it will lay horizontal for Clouser minnows and fly's like that. Thank you for your help 

It's a rotary but not a true rotary like the barracuda. You know the difference right? As for how smooth, it's smooth, the rotary tension is adjustable, to your liking.  I use it to position the fly for various operations. For wrapping I do that by hand not by vise. For me this vise does everything I need. I recommend it without reservation. I tie everything from size 30 midges to size 2 articulated streamers on it. Never a problem. While I look at other vises I don't think I will ever need another. I don't think you'll regret getting one. Did I say the jaws hold a hook like there's no tomorrow? They do. If you want a professional's opinion, Charlie craven ties on a DK pro.  He's been tying on one for over 20 years. Give him a call at Charlie's fly box. I'll bet he'll answer your questions. Here's a review of the barracuda but it's pertinent since all the Dyna king jaws are basically the same. https://www.flyfishfood.com/2014/02/dyna-king-barracuda-vise-review.html?m=1

10 minutes ago, Sandan said:

If you want a professional's opinion, Charlie craven ties on a DK pro.  He's been tying on one for over 20 years. Give him a call at Charlie's fly box. I'll bet he'll answer your questions

Dyna King actually directed me to Charlie on Friday. They were like "don't take our word for it call pro tiers that use them".  I called them and Charlie was not available to talk but the fella I spoke with did a great job of answering my questions. 

I appreciate you and everyone else taking time to share your experience with me on this.  

6 minutes ago, Pbass said:

Dyna King actually directed me to Charlie on Friday. They were like "don't take our word for it call pro tiers that use them".  I called them and Charlie was not available to talk but the fella I spoke with did a great job of answering my questions. 

I appreciate you and everyone else taking time to share your experience with me on this.  

Did you talk with Dave? He's a really good guy. In fact when I got my pro I was looking at a barracuda also. After talking with Charlie, I decided on the pro. It's a great shop with excellent folks working there. If it wasn't 25 minutes away I'd probably live there. It's a damn candy store. My pleasure helping, if I did. 

A tied Snake fly over the summer.  Cuda holds the hook solid.  This is a killer Striper pattern that brings a lot

of surface responses depending on how it’s tied.

322486D0-CC9F-444C-9D7F-A087BE52C293.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Mogup said:

A tied Snake fly over the summer.  Cuda holds the hook solid.  This is a killer Striper pattern that brings a lot

of surface responses depending on how it’s tied.

322486D0-CC9F-444C-9D7F-A087BE52C293.jpeg

Nice! I bet the Bass and Pike would eat that too!

27 minutes ago, Mogup said:

@Pbass   Owwww !

0D55F38C-C697-4686-B1F0-838A96E8DB67.jpeg

Man that looks good! I am trying to order the DK professional today!

@Pbass okay last one.  Silver Excalibur.  She’s a beauty. You’re grand kids would be tying on her.

75D07C0D-37EA-4D2E-B086-B4D8196770EB.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Mogup said:

@Pbass okay last one.  Silver Excalibur.  She’s a beauty. You’re grand kids would be tying on her.

75D07C0D-37EA-4D2E-B086-B4D8196770EB.jpeg

You are not making this easy! LOL! I think I want the professional? But the true rotary looks good to. did you take these pictures? If so what fly shop are you at?

22 minutes ago, Pbass said:

You are not making this easy! LOL! I think I want the professional? But the true rotary looks good to. did you take these pictures? If so what fly shop are you at?

No Pbass Dyna king has a page on FB that I belong to and for the last two days they’ve  been posting these pics. i’m sure you’ll be very happy with the Professional. That Excalibur does look sweet though.

4 hours ago, Pbass said:

Man that looks good! I am trying to order the DK professional today!

That's the way to go, don't let @Mogup make you crazy. 😉. Call charlie's and get it done