Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicente

latest knives out of the shop

Can't remember the name of it off hand (that blade shape) but that's my fav shape right there. I have a S&W daily carry lock blade that has that shape and it's always been one of my favorite knives.

26 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

Can't remember the name of it off hand (that blade shape) but that's my fav shape right there. I have a S&W daily carry lock blade that has that shape and it's always been one of my favorite knives.

American tanto, makes a nice utility blade for sure.

Been really busy trying to get the last of these blades ready to send out to the heat treaters I didn't have time to get the blue one done, but I finally finished those yesterday. It's pretty close to done I'm going to wet sand it by hand and buff it.

20201029_154133.jpg

20201030_154420.jpg

20201030_154349.jpg

Yeah ... that's looking pretty special already.  

If you don't mind my asking, how much do you charge for those knives you got piled there? (average price?)

It starts around 150$ with a basic handle some of the chefs knives have a 10 inch blade so they would be 200+ more steel, more work, more consumables (grinder belts).

this one would be a bit more than 150 as the handle material wasn't cheap, not as expensive as the stuff Mark has on his fancy customs but still not super cheap, it's also available.

I would say yours are very reasonably priced and well worth the money. Nice job. If I wasn't a maker, I would certainly buy some.

dumb knife making question

i watch numerous knife makers on youtube and they sprinkle some kind of powder on a hot blob of steel before pounding on it, what is it that powder and why do they put in on? what does it do to the metal?

16 minutes ago, flytire said:

dumb knife making question

i watch numerous knife makers on youtube and they sprinkle some kind of powder on a hot blob of steel before pounding on it, what is it that powder and why do they put in on? what does it do to the metal?

That would be flux for the making of damascus. Borax, it melts and seeps between the layers of steel. At that high of temperature, it's caustic, it removes dirt and scale from between the layers of steel and prevents oxidation from occurring that would make for a poor weld. That blob of steel is actually many layers of steel that the knife maker wishes to weld together into one block of steel, making damascus.

21 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

I would say yours are very reasonably priced and well worth the money. Nice job. If I wasn't a maker, I would certainly buy some.

Thank you Mark, I like to try to keep my lower priced stuff in a range the average person could afford and feel comfortable using.

I started a Bagwell inspired bowie in 1095 that I'll probably ask more for. Here's a picture of the blade at it's start, .167 stock, I'm going to do a wrought iron guard, white/ivory paper micarta handle with (i think) a red g10 or micarta between the two layers of white paper, coffin shaped with small stainless pins around the border. I did a couple in stainless as well, I'm thinking I'll do mokume guards on those.

20201031_115818.jpg