Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DonkeyHotay

Biodegradable Alternatives to Synthetic Fly Tying Materials

I've never waded a trout stream and wondered why lost flies have not biodegraded.

All the crap along trout stream is from worm containers, plastic drink containers, and general garbage that fishers who packed it in have failed to pack out.

The few times I have found a lost fly, usually on a tree branch, I take and see if I can at least reuse the hook.

I usually don't comment on threads like this one but buddy, you are on the money with your post.

On 6/3/2022 at 9:18 PM, Yurtie Gertie said:

You have inspired me to take up fly tying using natural materials!  I am using cotton sewing thread to tie the flies.  They won't last as long, but isn't that the point?  I am new at this, but undaunted so far.  My friends are collecting materials for me-some hunt, some are picking up road kill.  My friend is going to gather polar bear hair from the mudflats of Akimiski Island for me.  It has lead me to a very interesting place in life.  Thanks for your inspiration.  I hope you didn't give up on your quest.

Is mere possession of polar bear bear fur legal? Saw a lady on a game warden show get in hot water for merely having a hawk feather in her car. Picked up as a road kill. Officer explained the law to her but I think he let her go as she didn't know what kind of feather she had.

33 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

Is mere possession of polar bear bear fur legal? Saw a lady on a game warden show get in hot water for merely having a hawk feather in her car. Picked up as a road kill. Officer explained the law to her but I think he let her go as she didn't know what kind of feather she had.

I doubt it since there are people who own real polar bear rugs.

2 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

I doubt it since there are people who own real polar bear rugs.

Burden of proof would be on the owner to show it was purchased/taken before the ban. Me? Have no need for it as I tie very few flies, eight at the most.

45 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

Burden of proof would be on the owner to show it was purchased/taken before the ban. Me? Have no need for it as I tie very few flies, eight at the most.

Thats directly opposite of the protections of our constitution. The burden of proof is on the G-Men. So as not to be accused of hijack. I don’t think twice about biodegradable alternatives either. 

I would recommend silk over cotton thread.  Don't underestimate peacock herl for sparkle or glow or whatever it does.  I mostly tie with natural materials other than thread.  I use a good bit of metal tinsel, and some mylar.  Check out the book "Good Flies" by John Geirach.