Fly Tying
Bill_729

Fly fishing from kayak

33 minutes ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

All that's needed is an oceanside flat that's not particularly soft (interior flats are notably soft - so soft that most would only go on foot once...)

Bob, that’s an interesting observation, but doesn’t match my limited experience on the inshore flats around Tampa Bay,  Sarasota bay and Clearwater.  In my experience, flats that experience any sort of direct tidal flow are pretty solid, even in deep eel grass.  The areas that tend to accumulate softer, deeper mud are those away from direct tidal flow or are in effect eddy areas that allow sediment to accumulate. Mangrove shorelines that aren’t in direct tidal flow do get a bit soft, but a flat exposed to strong tidal flows tends to stay pretty firm because sediments don’t have an opportunity to settle. That’s my experience and I spend 10 to 20 days each year walking around the mouth of Tampa Bay, Sarasota Bay and St Joseph Sound near Clearwater.  Maybe the substrate is just softer down where you are.  Anyway, wading flats with a kayak is a blast.

8BD36EF5-7125-4BAB-83EF-D78B6885F034.jpeg.465791b14a960225aa8646707b902645.jpeg

Blue Sky Boatworks Angler 360. Pedal powered. Tows and stows easier than a Lowes 16. Plenty of room on the front  or rear deck for another chair and a dog. I removed the rear deck to add a trolling motor. Dry weight is 170lbs.

bass assault vehicle.jpg

Different areas different realities... In general, Oceanside flats from Key Biscayne all the down to Marathon are nice and firm - bayside flats much softer ( and if you pole a skiff or wade it’s very noticeable- even in places with good current flow...).

The lower Keys are quite different- hard cap coral inside and outside... I knew guys who called it “stainless steel” bottom and it’s really hard on any propeller that’s allowed to touch when running shallow..

12 hours ago, Bimini15 said:

Fishing kayaks have changed a lot over the years. The trend now seems to be boats that you pedal rather than paddle, have high seats and allow you to stand. But none of the good ones are cheap or light weight, so, if I am going to need a trailer, there are plenty of used motor boats for less than a new premium kayak.

The other thing is than none of them do it all well. You have to be clear on what you want to do with it and go from there. There are some with pretty open cockpits that are good for fly fishing, like Bryon’s NuCanoe, but many others present challenges.

100% true there.   I've been fishing from canoes and kayaks for over 40 years-   The last 10 or so years has seen an explosion in the market for fishing specific kayaks.  Also an explosion in people trying to make them into things which they are not,  and doing things which they cannot do well. Add to that the explosion in people who physically have no business doing what they do with them.... i.e. deep water self rescue if they go for a swim.     The very heart and soul of kayak fishing is relative simplicity and relative ease of transport, and relative economy.   Current high end fishing kayaks are not simple, easy to transport, or "affordable".   Not much irritates or disappoints me more than seeing some joker bolt on every trinket and absurd piece of gear to a kayak...  

As the original post was about inflatables,  this is a little off the mark, but anyway---  I love my two fishing specific kayaks, both are 10 year old designs, both are fully matured with the rigging I want for the fishing I do, and both hopefully have years of life left in them.   Yes, cartopping a nearly 100lb kayak alone has it's challenges, but none of them are unsurmountable.   If anything it is another excuse to try to stay in some sort of decent condition.  

2 hours ago, Jacks Grampa said:

Blue Sky Boatworks Angler 360. Pedal powered.

Thank you. I saved a link to their web site as I have not seen it before.  Some "interesting stuff" there!

By the way, I know squat about fishing saltwater, but I suppose I'm willing to learn!  : )  I spent a week in Tampa a couple of years ago, and sat and watched others fish.  That was before I got "my head back into fishing"... One very minor advantage to not owning vacation property is you can go "anywhere you want"! : )  Someone asked me what I would like for Christmas yesterday, and I suggested one of those books I've seen on Amazon, "Flyfishers guide to fishing ____".  It turned into a multiple choice question and I chose WV, since it always seems so lovely when I drive through.  So perhaps that will be on the upcoming agenda.  I enjoyed last years trip to MO too!  As you probably know, 2020 was a "bust"... our planned trip to the AuSable had to be cancelled, but hopefully we will reschedule that one for next year. We usually fit in at least one trip per year, but this year was an exception.

Bill

2 hours ago, JSzymczyk said:

I've been fishing from canoes and kayaks for over 40 years-   The last 10 or so years has seen an explosion in the market for fishing specific kayaks.  Also an explosion in people trying to make them into things which they are not,  and doing things which they cannot do well. Add to that the explosion in people who physically have no business doing what they do with them.... i.e. deep water self rescue if they go for a swim.     The very heart and soul of kayak fishing is relative simplicity and relative ease of transport, and relative economy.   Current high end fishing kayaks are not simple, easy to transport, or "affordable".   Not much irritates or disappoints me more than seeing some joker bolt on every trinket and absurd piece of gear to a kayak... 

That's a very insightful perspective.  Thanks for sharing it!  As you know, there are people attaching fish finders to their Nucanoe Frontier 12's.  That one is attractive for it's casting bar (add on).  I'm not sure whether that feature is compatible with "pedal power" or not.  I don't think I've ever seen a YouTube video where someone had both features.  And (FWIW), I think they have alot of nerve asking $1200 for an 8-pound "pedel power converter"), on top of the $1500 for the kayak.  I suspect that kayak market competition will bring that down a bit with time.  Even $800 would be $100-per-pound.  $4000 or so will get you a new 200 pound Mercury with electric start that I suspect will probably outlast that pedal drive more than several times over.   :  )

On 10/13/2020 at 3:53 PM, Mark Knapp said:

I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Okay Mark, since ya twisted my arm...😄 

The Nucanoe Frontier 12 is, in my opinion, the perfect fly fishing platform.

It was introduced in 2012, and, to this day, there is no kayak on the market that can touch it for stability. Ordinarily, I wouldn't make a statement like that unless I'd done some comparisons myself, but there is such a consensus of agreement about this among kayak anglers on various online boards and forums that I feel comfortable saying it here. If someone can show me a more stable kayak for fly fishing from a standing position, then I'll retract my statement and eat my hat. Until that happens, though, I stand by it. 🙂

There is also no other fishing kayak that is more customizable than Nucanoe (all of their models, not just the Frontier). It is literally a blank slate when you buy it; just a hull with a set of accessory tracks. With those tracks, you can add just about anything you can think of and put it exactly where you want it. Any seat, any of a thousand-and-one mounts and accessories, a pedal drive, you name it. And all right where YOU want it--including the seat(s). Not where some engineer who's designing for the masses thought it should go.

Oh, and speaking of seats, Nucanoe is the only fishing kayak I know of that will accept an elevated swivel seat. That is worth its weight in gold to me. Wind blowing you out of your preferred casting position? Turn the seat - boom. Done. Keep fishing. Also, the Frontier 12 is the only fishing kayak I've seen that will sit two adult anglers fishing tandem with all their gear, plus a motor. Weight capacity on this boat is over 600 lbs.

Speaking of motors -- you can run any size trolling motor--bow or stern mount--or up to a 2.5 hp outboard. 

It is heavy--the hull is 77 lbs. empty, but this is still lighter than many other fishing kayaks out there. 

It's not cheap, but you can outfit one nicely for $1500-2000 brand new, which is very competitive with other kayaks of similar quality. 

That's what I have to say. 🙂

Thanks Bryon, That sounds pretty good. I will need to look into these the next time I feel like I need another boat. Thank you very much.

Bryon, I just looked at that boat on line and I think you are right, it's pretty amazing. I'm not sure if it fits the OPs needs but only he can answer that question. It's a pretty cool boat. Thanks for telling me about it.

@Bryon,

How does the NuCanoe compare to an “OlCanoe”?

I have a “fishing” canoe, which compared to a kayak is a bear to paddle, specially when the front catches wind and takes on a mind of its own. Not much I can do about the seating position, unlike yours.

14 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Bryon, I just looked at that boat on line and I think you are right, it's pretty amazing. I'm not sure if it fits the OPs needs but only he can answer that question. It's a pretty cool boat. Thanks for telling me about it.

You're very welcome Mark! I'm always happy to talk about boats, especially that one. 🙂

13 hours ago, Bimini15 said:

@Bryon,

How does the NuCanoe compare to an “OlCanoe”?

I have a “fishing” canoe, which compared to a kayak is a bear to paddle, specially when the front catches wind and takes on a mind of its own. Not much I can do about the seating position, unlike yours.

Lol "OlCanoe"😄 I think the name tells you what you need to know -- NuCanoe has always described its boats as canoe/kayak hybrids, and I think that's exactly what they are. They combine the best elements of both styles.

Being able to slide the seat up and down the length of the boat is a HUGE help. It lets you distribute weight around the hull so you can get optimal paddling performance from the boat. People who try the Frontier--including me--are always surprised at how well it paddles for such a wide, flat-bottomed hull. It's 41" at the beam bit it's quite maneuverable even in quick water. It will never be as fast as slimmer kayaks, but then you can't stand on the gunwales and fly cast in those faster boats, either. 🙂

2 hours ago, Bryon Anderson said:

Lol "OlCanoe"😄 I think the name tells you what you need to know -- NuCanoe has always described its boats as canoe/kayak hybrids, and I think that's exactly what they are. They combine the best elements of both styles.

I saw a "Frontier 12"  at "the (local) boat show" last year.  They had a pool right there, and I should have asked if they would drop it in and let me try it (they had the chance to extend the offer and they passed it up).   As has been quite helpfully pointed out, each choice has compromises that I definitely didn't completely appreciate at first.  By the way, if you would like to see what dollar signs really look like, visit your local Boat/RV show!  : )   An adequate number of people were toting cocktails; a few were already overtaken by them by noon.   A completely different audience than that of  the "woodworking show" which is held at the same venue! : )  I had the feeling that the boat/RV industry was pushing "the good life"!   : )  Some of us would like to get as much of the good life as we can--on a budget.  That's why I tie my own flies!  : )  (that's a little joke).

I saw a kayak in a fly shop but can't remember the manufacturer. You pulled a lever and the back part split like an outrigger so you could stand up.