Fly Tying
Bill_729

Fly fishing from kayak

On 10/14/2020 at 11:28 AM, Bill_729 said:

And (FWIW), I think they have alot of nerve asking $1200 for an 8-pound "pedel power converter"), on top of the $1500 for the kayak.  I suspect that kayak market competition will bring that down a bit with time.  Even $800 would be $100-per-pound.  $4000 or so will get you a new 200 pound Mercury with electric start that I suspect will probably outlast that pedal drive more than several times over.   :  )

Bill, I totally agree with you on the price they're asking for their pedal drive, especially given that, based on the chatter I see on the Nucanoe Facebook pages, they haven't quite git the bugs worked out of the design yet.

If I wanted a pedal-power kayak--and money was no object, I would have to go for the Hobie Pro Angler with their new Mirage 360 drive--you can actually pedal the kayak sideways! That's impressive 

https://www.hobie.com/miragedrive360/

dogfacedoc, close but I don't think that's the one I saw. Keep thinking it was a Hobie. The rear pontoons angled about 45 degrees. Will check.

15 hours ago, skeet3t said:

dogfacedoc, close but I don't think that's the one I saw. Keep thinking it was a Hobie. The rear pontoons angled about 45 degrees. Will check.

Different configurations for the outriggers on the pathfinder model. Its the only one I know of. Unfortunately I heard they are no longer in business. https://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/freedom-hawk-pathfinder/

I have a small fleet of canoe/kayak small boats the only inflatable boats I have left is the sea eagle 420 kayak, good all around inflatable for river/ lake/ and protected bays. No issues with quality, stability, or chance of puncture while fishing, easy to transport and clean, I store it partially inflated in the rafters of a shed. It will never perform like a hard boat (tracking and speed) but I can always find room to take it when pulling a travel trailer (purchased it  when we owned a fifth wheel) I have a older hobie outback to kayak fish in fresh and salt, but not (shallow) rivers. The expense and weight are the only issue with it. I do fly fish from it but it takes getting used to for stability while standing, but have a lot of practice casting while sitting. I have other canoes ranging from 12' to my 20xl tripper and a 1952 Grumman sport boat that is my work horse "power boat" for fishing and crabbing. I have used and fished canoes all of my life (the sport boat I literally grew up in, it was my grandfathers and is only a couple of years older than me)  I have fished next to a few 13' tuna boats and watched people trying to make one boat do everything and I do not think that is possible or safe, all small boats are a trade off of design for performance, stability, for its intended use.

On 10/18/2020 at 8:45 AM, cphubert said:

watched people trying to make one boat do everything and I do not think that is possible or safe, all small boats are a trade off of design for performance, stability, for its intended use.

100% true right there.  

On 10/15/2020 at 5:12 PM, Bryon Anderson said:

Speaking of motors -- you can run any size trolling motor--bow or stern mount--or up to a 2.5 hp outboard. 

That's what I have to say. 🙂

and right there you are entirely missing the point of being a kayak angler.    The heart and soul of the sport is human power. Yes I've heard all the compensatory arguments---  need to get across large distances of open water to the fishing spots; if you can't do it safely under your own power in a kayak do you really want to be doing that?   need to compensate for lack of fitness and a motor makes it easier-  if you're not fit enough to paddle (or pedal) do you really think you are fit enough to self rescue WHEN something goes wrong?  on, and on, and on, and on, and on.   If you NEED a motor drive, then there is no valid argument against the fact that a kayak is not the best suited vessel for you to be fishing from.   ALL kayaks are limited in capacity and absolutely less stable, and less "capable" (probably not the correct word) than a wise choice of other watercraft.   Period.    I fish the Great Lakes when I can from my kayak,  I fish other huge open water such as Kinzua when I can from my kayaks,  I've fished the open Atlantic Ocean several times from my kayak,  only after a thorough risk assessment, knowing full well that a kayak, ANY kayak, is more likely to cause me to be in jeopardy than if I had a more suitable vessel.  Motors only cause people to ASSume they are more capable than they really are.  That's what I have to say. 

1 hour ago, JSzymczyk said:

and right there you are entirely missing the point of being a kayak angler.    The heart and soul of the sport is human power. 

I said you CAN run a motor. I didnt say I do. As it happens, I bought a trolling motor a few years ago and built a foot controlled steering system to go with it. I used them a few times, and decided they weren't for me. Too much hassle, too much weight, and I enjoy paddling the kayak. 

That being said, I don't see a problem with people using a motor if they want to. I mean, the actual "point" of kayaking (or any other recreational activity for that matter), as I see it is just that: recreation. Having fun. If no one is getting hurt, who cares how someone else does it?

I do agree with you about the safety issue, to a point. If someone isn't capable of self-recovering from an unplanned dunking, at the very least those people shouldn't be kayking alone. And every boater, regardless of tyoe of boat or fitness level, should be taking proper safety precautions-- PFDs, knowing how to control the boat, etc.

More like missing your point of kayak angling. Everybody has their reasons for how they want to do it. There is no right or wrong just what works for you. i  am fit, can paddle, peddle, self rescue and swim well. I however simply don't want to paddle or peddle if I don't have to when I'm fishing as I am actually an angler not a boater or kayaker. A vessel of some sort is merely a platform to do what I'm out there to do.......fish! There's no bonus points because one paddles or motors. 

With that said, I'm seriously looking at a  Nucanoe, square back canoe or one of those 1952 Grumman sport boats because a motor makes me as happy as paddling makes you. 

8 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

With that said, I'm seriously looking at a  Nucanoe, square back canoe or one of those 1952 Grumman sport boats because a motor makes me as happy as paddling makes you. 

Yes and I would say that the design of the mentioned boats included motor use, just keep in mind they are displacement hulls not planning. I have a 12' square back Esquif mallard it was designed for a small motor (electric or 2 hp.) but seems to lose stability with sharp turns (suspect it is the short length combined with the 1/2 canoe hull). I have tested my PFD from it twice,  added pontoons after the 2nd time. A keeper at 33 lbs. and ease of launching car top, besides it rows like dream but is horrible to paddle as are most immersed square stern canoes (drag). No issues with the sport boat and a 6hp great design excellent stability at all points, by far my favorite fishing boat. I would expect the Nucanoe to handle a small power unit well but I have never paddled or been in one. Another motor canoe is the golden hawk no drag as the transom is fine below the waterline. They are not available in my neck of the woods but it is lighter than the Nucanoe.

I really like your Grumman. If I can find one of them I don't think I could walk away without it. 

Purely as an FYI... there's a guide I know in the Everglades City (Ten Thousand Islands area) that acts as a both a Mothership for kayak anglers and a trip guide for ventures back into the Everglades that include camping out for a few days if anyone is interested.  His name is Charles Wright and he runs a pretty unique operation.  He has a very large open skiff that can accommodate four (or more?) kayaks in the bow while also transporting his anglers.  He runs them into the backcountry much farther than they could paddle in a day on their own -then offloads the "yaks and shepherds his anglers while they paddle and fish on their own for day trips.  The extended trips feature overnight stops at Everglades National Park campsites and are designed to be a few days at a time... 

No one else that I'm aware of in my area does anything like this.  If you do hook up with him - tell him I said Hi... 

Read a article about a Massachusetts kayak fisherman that hooked into a small/medium Bluefin and it pulled him 11 miles off his course, he landed the fish and had radioed for assistance from a boat. Could not help imagining if he didn't get assistance, getting a eleven mile sleigh ride then trying to return with 250 or so pounds of shark feed on the side of your kayak. Every tuna I have caught was wild on the deck until we could burlap its eye's, subdue and bleed it. 

One of my kayak fishing partners loved to fished Charleston Breachway RI, by kayak. We made frequent trips and sometimes he went alone, our "numbers" where around the 1 mile mark, until 2018, he was skirted by a white shark that was longer or as long as his boat (13') no contact or aggression from the fish but he only fishes the surf today. Sold his kayak and is looking at a larger power boat. After his encounter I could not talk him into fishing the salt ponds in his kayak. All he remembers is looking at the sharks eye that he said where watching him and it was swimming with it's mouth open half turned on it's side.

I pick and choose my days on the salt in my kayak. Capt. Bob that kind of trip sounds enticing, and having the experience and advise of a guide is a great piece of mind. I have heard off some N.J. mothership trips for offshore but it reminds me of the dory fleet. Never heard of some of them not returning (kayaks) but..... I would stay on deck and fish from the big boat. 

I truly enjoy small boats, trolling from a canoe, river fishing, still water ponds and lakes and the salt ponds and near shore salt. Fishing , crabbing, or being in the middle of a tree swallow murmuration during their fall migration. Human or engine power, sailing my outback on a summer fishless day. Time spent on the water be it a brook or the ocean, alone, with a dog or friend, always with a rod.

Sorry for expanding the post into another direction.

1 hour ago, cphubert said:

After his encounter I could not talk him into fishing the salt ponds in his kayak. All he remembers is looking at the sharks eye that he said where watching him and it was swimming with it's mouth open half turned on it's side.

It sounds like it was one of those so called "life changing experiences" for him!   It could be the makings for a terrific movie!   ; )   "In the jaws of the kayak, or vice-versa..."

If you decide to power your kayak or if it comes with some type of power, check state regulations. Tennessee requires any watercraft that is moved by any power-  gas, diesel, electric, it must be registered.