Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Carver

Favorite Steelhead pattern?

QUOTE (stremblay77 @ Mar 29 2005, 08:20 AM)
steeldrifter, what did you use for the body and/or ribs on that one?? huh.gif

Its small black vinyl rib, its flat on one side and half moon shaped on the other.

This past season it was size 14 sucker spawn in a peach-ish roe color for me. Caught more on that pattern than all others.

Last season it was Estaz eggs in orange and chartruese.

I've dabbled in using stone flies and buggers, but haven't had much luck on them. I've picked up a few here and there on them, but the egg patterns have produced above and beyond for me.

Thanks to Steeldrifter and the rest of you for the patterns. I fished the Peir Marquette in Baldwin, MI yesterday and didn't catch one steelhead sad.gif BUT, I did catch a nice brown! Plus thanks to you guys I have some nice flies to fish with when the fish are ACTUALY running...LOL

user posted image

headbang.gif

Mark

Signal Light Super Prawn, rigged with a junction tube and a Partridge Nordic #6 or #8 hook.

I also like the Sultan Blue (*g*) and the venerable Green-Butt Skunk.

Well, right now we're coming into "dead" season for steelhead. Most of the rivers here are closing or closed for steelheading (most that I fish anyways are). Springers are on their way in. But you do have steelhead here year around. Some influx of summerruns trickling in, in some areas with some winterruns on their way out (well, those that are able to get out that is). With summerrun fishing coming, I'm fishing smaller, darker flies. Crawdad patterns in brown/orange, leeches, etc. Plus love to swing some smaller/darker speys (like my Wynoochee Dark, has been a great summerrun fly). Was hoping to hit some of the rivers before they shut down. But buddies were doing really well on the Duc and Bogie with big custom marabous and custom bunny flies. One had the nerve to email me through his cell phone a picture since he knew I couldn't go on the trip. laugh.gif