Fly Tying
Moshup

Name a famous fly that has not been so famous with you !

2 hours ago, Djfan said:

Wooly Buggers for me.  I don't know how everyone does so well with them.  

-1 on wooly buggers.  Gotta be lotta better choices. 

Wow. I've caught fish on most of these patterns and, between the Mickey Finn and wooly bugger, stacks of fish. 

But over 60 years in the game I can count on one maimed hand the number of fish taken on egg patterns. Maybe cuz I don't like tyting or using them but trials with them have not chnged my mind.

I have to agree, the wooly bugger.  I have never caught anything on a wooly bugger. 

Pink Squriel. People here swear by them but I have fished them tandem and the fish have always taken the other fly. 

22 minutes ago, Landon P said:

Pink Squriel. People here swear by them but I have fished them tandem and the fish have always taken the other fly. 

Which doesn't actually mean it that it wasn't doing it's job.  Sometimes an attractor fly will alert fish to the more realistic fly it's teamed with.  For me, a pink San Juan worm doesn't necessarily catch a lot of fish, but it sure increases the number of fish I catch on another fly just below it.

Rocco hit the nail on the head when he said

Maybe cuz I don't like tyting or using them but trials with them have not chnged my mind.

If you don't like a fly, it gets tied on less frequently than other flies, and if you do tie it on, it's often out of desperation when nothing else is catching fish either.  When, predictably, it fails to produce a miracle, it just further reinforces your bias against it.

All of the flies mentioned catch fish for people who fish them frequently, just not for people who have no confidence in them.

2 hours ago, jamieofthenorth said:

Catskill-style mayfly imitations... I feel like I'm gonna get pelted with rotten cabbage for saying that. 

@jamieofthenorth, cover up...incoming!

Clousers. Maybe because I don’t throw weighted flies, here in the fresh, or because I have yet to carry a fly rod to the salt. 

I have tossed a few before, and probably not enough to justify trying. But certainly not very popular in my boxes.

3 hours ago, Sandan said:

@jamieofthenorth, cover up...incoming!

Omg. Probably the most known fly in the world besides the Royal Coachman and catches fish the world over. Jaime you’re not suppose to be trolling this guy off the back of your canoe ! 🙂

Image may contain: text that says 'The Quill Gordon, in the "Catskill" style Whip finish set back from the hook eye. Divided Wood Duck flank fiber wing. Stripped Peacock eye quill body. Whiting Darbee Historic Blue Dun Hackle for tail and collar. A classic! FSF午下RT午油'

1 hour ago, Mogup said:

Omg. Probably the most known fly in the world besides the Royal Coachman and catches fish the world over. Jaime you’re not suppose to be trolling this guy off the back of your canoe ! 🙂

Image may contain: text that says 'The Quill Gordon, in the "Catskill" style Whip finish set back from the hook eye. Divided Wood Duck flank fiber wing. Stripped Peacock eye quill body. Whiting Darbee Historic Blue Dun Hackle for tail and collar. A classic! FSF午下RT午油'

Maybe he's fishing for suckers (man or fish I'm not sure).