Fly Tying
Bimini15

Show your kayak

2 hours ago, Meeshka said:

Mark,

It looks a lot like my Klepper ( Aries II), but no my ribs are oak

It is a lot like a Klepper. This one is 21 feet long and has three seats. All aluminum frame. It has no inflatable sponsons though. I like it.

Mine is 2 man, 18 feet long.  I have a full spraycover, rudder,sail, and parafoil.  excellent boat but my brother uses it more these days

10 minutes ago, Meeshka said:

Mine is 2 man, 18 feet long.  I have a full spraycover, rudder,sail, and parafoil.  excellent boat but my brother uses it more these days

Wow

9 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

WWII Russian surplus collapsible

mikes+c+00.1.jpg

When I was a kid my Aunt and I built a 17' folbot kayak in the living room for a winter project, wood framed and canvas covered. come spring we couldn't get it out of the room through the doors with the hallway, ended up taking a set of windows out to get it out of the house. Great memories, that boat reminds me of it.

2 hours ago, cphubert said:

When I was a kid my Aunt and I built a 17' folbot kayak in the living room for a winter project, wood framed and canvas covered. come spring we couldn't get it out of the room through the doors with the hallway, ended up taking a set of windows out to get it out of the house. Great memories, that boat reminds me of it.

Pretty cool.

23 hours ago, utyer said:

My only kayak is a Nucanoe Frontier.  After tipping over in the first kayak I tried out, I tested about 12 others before buying this one.  To me the reason for a kayak (or any other floating craft,) is to stay on TOP of the water.   This picture is 7 years old, and the kayak has NEVER been tipped over by anyone.  The one person who tried to tip it over fell out while the Frontier stayed upright.  Its not the fastest or lightest (75#,) but it stays upright.  It is 12' and carries 450# payload.  It can hold 2 anglers, if necessary.   I fish this in Florida both in-shore, and in several rivers.  Rivers here are very smooth, just like the in-shore lagoons.  The only waves I encounter are from powered boats, and they are never a problem.  

Since I like to fish while standing and I can do that in this boat.  Stability was my first priority, cost was second.  It has proved itself to me.

My 2014 NuCanoe Frontier 12. I bought it and love it for exactly the same reasons Utyer stated in his post. 7 seasons of hard use and still going strong! 

FB_IMG_1563551248289-1023x1023.jpg

FB_IMG_1603291555663.jpg

Byron,  is that a custom made front casting deck, ort can you get one from Nucanoe?   

10 hours ago, utyer said:

Byron,  is that a custom made front casting deck, ort can you get one from Nucanoe?   

That unit was made by me out of 1/2" HDPE (aka Marine Starboard). It was designed not as a casting deck but as a rigging station and gear storage (there is a compartment hidden below the top). However, it is sturdy enough to stand on if I wanted to. 

It is my homemade version of a similar unit sold by Nucanoe. Theirs is made of 1/4" plastic, though, and has a sliding drawer for storage. Theirs is $140 new; I built mine for $50. 

8 hours ago, Bimini15 said:

So, here is my question to Nucanoe owners... Did you ever try to pole it, or use a SUP paddle?

Yes to both. The paddle I bought with my Frontier was a "convertible" model--you could detach one blade and replace it with a handle for stand up paddling. I've also simply paddled it with my current traditional kayak paddle while standing. Both paddles have been pressed into service as poles on occasion as well. 🙂

Ok guys can’t stand it any longer.  Pirogue-Peerow .   Built from one sheet of 1/4” X14’ marine plywood; the bottom and 2 sides. 1x2” molding and ribs, compound miter end blocks. 2 seater.  Used sheet rock nails and painted with latex paint.   Had 2 guys and cooler of beer in it a few times.    Literally wore it out in the swamps and had to get the fiberglass one.  Sat on cooler to keep legs from going to sleep and later built a chair that fit over the molded seat.  When you hit an underwater cypress knee and tump over you could just step out in shallow water or go swimming. Definitely backwater application.  You gotta keep a good sense of humor around this joint👍😛

EDE884AA-571F-4EFF-A3AD-1D042D52A80C.png

2FDE39E2-274B-40B5-B4AB-2A0C70A8C1BD.png

511C0539-B004-4CDE-B432-7B65723BC8A6.png

2 hours ago, denduke said:

2FDE39E2-274B-40B5-B4AB-2A0C70A8C1BD.png

511C0539-B004-4CDE-B432-7B65723BC8A6.png

It's amazing!  You can't even tell the ATV is under there in that first picture.

One time I flipped over sideways.  The top heavey Yamah dropped in a rut and it went right over.  Some guys behind me helped right it.   Funny thing was the A5 Belgium Mag was sticking up in the mud.   It had come outa the rack and lucky was in scabbard so no mud up the barrel.  We laughed.   Coulda got me and dog hurt.  That’s prolly why such racks are not sanctioned by ATV companies.   DIY only.  

When I got my Nucanoe, I also got a "transformer" paddle.  It was much longer than most paddles, and by switching one or two of the sections can be converted to a push pole, or a stake out pole.  I use the push pole on the flats all the time.  Often, I leave one blade on the paddle when I am using the push pole to paddle across deeper areas while standing.

6 minutes ago, utyer said:

When I got my Nucanoe, I also got a "transformer" paddle.  It was much longer than most paddles, and by switching one or two of the sections can be converted to a push pole, or a stake out pole.  I use the push pole on the flats all the time.  

Was it the Transformer from Ascent? https://accentpaddles.com/products/transformer-slider

I was actually looking at it for my new boat as I plan on push poling the backwaters quite a bit. Just wondering, how long is it as a push pole? And how deep of water could you pole in?