Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Landon P

Tying The Squirrel Streamer

11 minutes ago, Landon P said:

Here is a video explaining how to tie a Black Nose Dance. 

Dace, kiddo.

52 minutes ago, Sandan said:

Dace, kiddo.

I was wondering why I couldn't find nothing online about the pattern! Thanks for pointing that out 😤😤😤

10 minutes ago, Landon P said:

I was wondering why I couldn't find nothing online about the pattern! Thanks for pointing that out 😤😤😤

No problem. Figured that might help. Nice vid, BTW (and edits)

23 minutes ago, Sandan said:

No problem. Figured that might help. Nice vid, BTW (and edits)

Thank you! First video with the new editing software and I dont think it went terrible. 

3 minutes ago, Landon P said:

Thank you! First video with the new editing software and I dont think it went terrible. 

it looked good

Nice video, great job.

Not that Norm needs my back-up but yes, the original Blacknosed Dace calls for three different colors of hair to resemble the real Blacknose Dace.

People tie, and make videos of their' own variations of flies all the time but to be accurate, if you want to be accurate, you would want to point out how your variation differs from the original.

You didn't ask for critique but we know you are eager to learn and do good stuff.

Nice vise too, your rotary is a true rotary. Good stuff.

2 hours ago, Landon P said:

Here is a video explaining how to tie a Black Nose Dace. 

Great job man!

other than it's not a black nosed dace,  it's a good video.   BND is brown over black over white bucktail (or polar bear or skunk hair).    Original dressing by Art Flick,  as referenced in Joseph Bates' "Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing" p.231

Decent video, and I'm not a big fan of video's anyway. Yes, not the BND I'm familiar with. I believe that pattern was at one time simply called a Squirrel Tail Streamer. 

Beside not being a BND, the instructions said to counter wrap the rib, but the video showed it being wrapped in normal direction.

You did a good job.  I learned something.   I had not been putting the red yarn all the way up the hook.  I had just put it in like a tail. Tying a fluff butt. Your way looks better.  In the spirit of trying to help, you might want to try tying squirrel in reverse and gluing. Then pull it back and wrap over it.  Reverse winging helps with slippery hairs.  I have had trouble with squirrel coming out.   Just another technique.  Your way works, but is less strong, IMHO.  Good job!  You are very talented.

Thank you everyone,for the positive comments and the criticism. I think i need to slow down when trying to make videos cause I often miss details (not counter wraping, not using the right wing, spelling issues, and other errors.) Hopefully I helped someone by posting it. Working on a video that goes through how to whip finish.

50 minutes ago, Landon P said:

Thank you everyone,for the positive comments and the criticism. I think i need to slow down when trying to make videos cause I often miss details (not counter wraping, not using the right wing, spelling issues, and other errors.) Hopefully I helped someone by posting it. Working on a video that goes through how to whip finish.

I'm not sure that counter wrapping the rib actually is any better on this fly (I never do so); just the wording was wrong.  You've got good technique.