Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Landon P

Tying The Squirrel Streamer

The barred squirrel tail wing is a nice touch as the material has great movement for streamer wings.  It will work fine.

For reference clarity  though, you might call the pattern a variant because the traditional wing has sparse segments of  black, over brown, over white, bucktail.  

Some other variants use maribou in those colors  and there is a "bitch creek" style Black Dace too. 

2 hours ago, Landon P said:

I think i need to slow down when trying to make videos cause I often miss details 

i think you need to research the pattern recipes you want tie BEFORE creating a YouTube videos

you're misleading other young tyers by calling an established fly pattern created in the 1940's as something that its not

blacknose dace

Black-Nose-Dace-2-800.jpg

56 minutes ago, Rocco said:

there is a "bitch creek" style Black Dace too. 

can you post a photo or reference site

id be interested in seeing it

1 hour ago, flytire said:

i think you need to research the pattern recipes you want tie BEFORE creating a YouTube videos

you're misleading other young tyers by calling an established fly pattern created in the 1940's as something that its not

blacknose dace

Black-Nose-Dace-2-800.jpg

Happy? I found it difficult to tie the 3 separate sections of wing and figured a beginner would as well. You have mentioned it 3 times now and I get the point. Not trying to be rude or anything. 

20201022_121646.jpg

4 hours ago, Landon P said:

Thank you everyone,for the positive comments and the criticism. I think i need to slow down when trying to make videos cause I often miss details (not counter wraping, not using the right wing, spelling issues, and other errors.) Hopefully I helped someone by posting it. Working on a video that goes through how to whip finish.

Your doing great! And more importantly you are doing it. Your not just sitting around thinking about it. You are making it happen and learning along the way. Keep it up!

29 minutes ago, Pbass said:

Your doing great! And more importantly you are doing it. Your not just sitting around thinking about it. You are making it happen and learning along the way. Keep it up!

Thank you. 

On 10/22/2020 at 9:19 AM, Landon P said:

Happy? I found it difficult to tie the 3 separate sections of wing and figured a beginner would as well. You have mentioned it 3 times now and I get the point. Not trying to be rude or anything. 

20201022_121646.jpg

I think the main point is, and it's an important one, when you deviate from a popular fly pattern, for what ever reason, you need to tell people it's a deviation or a "variant" and not the way it was originally tied. I don't think anyone is being overly critical if they point that out. People can be knit-picky at times, in this case I think it's completely within-bounds.

On 10/22/2020 at 10:40 AM, Rocco said:

there is a "bitch creek" style

"Bitch Creek"  LOLOLOLOLOL   I've been up that creek a few times LOLOLOL

17 hours ago, JSzymczyk said:

"Bitch Creek"  LOLOLOLOLOL   I've been up that creek a few times LOLOLOL

Paddless for sure. At least I've been there. Hmmmmm, might be a different creek though.