Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MuskyFlyGuy

Season shut down

Hate to say it, but remaining trips for the year have been canceled. Six months to tie and organize for next year. 
C1893DF2-970C-437E-BC04-0A7399C70859.thumb.jpeg.2b3948ba414cd48927593ac81f73c1e8.jpeg

😏 It looks like ... 😅 ... SNOW!  🤣

It's 9:00pm ... and we still have the A/C on!

I think it got into the low 80's here today! I had been looking forward to cooler weather! 😆

I moved south partially to get better winter weather, and don't miss that white stuff at all! We're a little unseasonably high with our temps here lately, but it will get cooler, and we'll get some freezing temps eventually. It just doesn't usually last very long and in the 5 years we've lived here it's only snowed once, and that barely covered the top of the grass. 

Muskyflyguy, at least it sounds like you have a plan for dealing with it! 👍

I'd be digging out the smitty sled. I'm hoping the farmers almanac prediction of a cold winter comes true. I haven't been ice fishing in two years. Long enough where I'm traveling to ice this year if we don't get any local ice. 

Ya beat me to it, just looking over the In Fisherman 2021 ICE FISHING GUIDE  and looking over the Reeds Outdoor catalog. If we move to Florida I'll have to make some Styrofoam floats for my tip ups 🙃

On 10/24/2020 at 8:56 PM, Poopdeck said:

I'd be digging out the smitty sled. I'm hoping the farmers almanac prediction of a cold winter comes true. I haven't been ice fishing in two years. Long enough where I'm traveling to ice this year if we don't get any local ice. 

Smitty sleds are awsome! We made one last year for our massive load it it pulls amazing!

They are game changers to anybody that has ever pulled a crappy plastic jet sled loaded with gear around. On ice you can breathe on them to move them, they slide through snow with little effort, they are a blast to ride downhill to the lake and you can cobble one together without any cost. What's not to like. 

On 10/26/2020 at 10:00 PM, cphubert said:

I need to build one, still using a  toboggan and I have a few pair of old ski's.

Once you get around to it you will curse yourself over why you waited so long. There is nothing enjoyable about pulling a sled acros snow covered ice. Here's mine. I cobbled it together from scraps. I was going to make a bigger box but didn't because that would only encourage me to carry more. Between mine and my buddies we have plenty of room.

20150201_124224.jpg

On 10/27/2020 at 6:33 PM, Poopdeck said:

Once you get around to it you will curse yourself over why you waited so long. There is nothing enjoyable about pulling a sled acros snow covered ice. Here's mine. I cobbled it together from scraps. I was going to make a bigger box but didn't because that would only encourage me to carry more. Between mine and my buddies we have plenty of room.

20150201_124224.jpg

Did you straighten the "straight" part on yours, or did you leave the "In-step" in? Mine was very hard to turn when it had the hollow under the middle. I'm actually thinking of putting a little "rocker" in the skis so it even turns a little easier. What happened to your face?

Not sure what you mean about the in step and the straight. I laid the skis flat with exact width spacing front to back and screwed the box uprights to it. The bottom of the box is high enough where it doesn't plow snow. 

No problems steering but I find it's important to keep the weight as close to the front of the skis as possible without nose diving the ski tips into the snow. It's kind of like a go cart with a live axle (both rear wheels under power) great for speed and traction but bad for turning. We always put weight over the front axle to help with turning. Kind of the same principle, I think. 

My face is there that's just where I carry my extra ice holes. Actually, Im pretty guarded about my face being on the Internet so I never show it on the interweb. 

16 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Not sure what you mean about the in step and the straight. I laid the skis flat with exact width spacing front to back and screwed the box uprights to it. The bottom of the box is high enough where it doesn't plow snow. 

No problems steering but I find it's important to keep the weight as close to the front of the skis as possible without nose diving the ski tips into the snow. It's kind of like a go cart with a live axle (both rear wheels under power) great for speed and traction but bad for turning. We always put weight over the front axle to help with turning. Kind of the same principle, I think. 

My face is there that's just where I carry my extra ice holes. Actually, Im pretty guarded about my face being on the Internet so I never show it on the interweb. 

The skis I have are bent, I suppose to carry the weight of the skier. If I put them on a flat surface there is a gap in the middle, under the ski about 1'' high. That makes turning hard. I thinking I will preload the skis so there is just a little rocker in them, about a half inch, so the low spot in the skis would be in the middle instead of the ends.

Too funny about the extra ice holes.