Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MuskyFlyGuy

Season shut down

3 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

The skis I have are bent, I suppose to carry the weight of the skier. If I put them on a flat surface there is a gap in the middle, under the ski about 1'' high. That makes turning hard. I thinking I will preload the skis so there is just a little rocker in them, about a half inch, so the low spot in the skis would be in the middle instead of the ends.

Too funny about the extra ice holes.

That bend is called camber. It's purpose, you got it, is to distribute the skier's weight over the whole length of the ski, rather than on the spot the skier is standing. Take a 6" mill bastard file. Hold it aat about 45 degree angle to the edges of the skis(on the bottom, the metal edges) and file 'em down a bit, you don't have to file much, that'll make 'em much easier to turn. Do it mostly at the shovel of the ski where it makes contact w/ the snow.

4 hours ago, Sandan said:

That bend is called camber. It's purpose, you got it, is to distribute the skier's weight over the whole length of the ski, rather than on the spot the skier is standing. Take a 6" mill bastard file. Hold it aat about 45 degree angle to the edges of the skis(on the bottom, the metal edges) and file 'em down a bit, you don't have to file much, that'll make 'em much easier to turn. Do it mostly at the shovel of the ski where it makes contact w/ the snow.

Very cool, thanks a bunch

13 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Very cool, thanks a bunch

@Mark Knapp My pleasure my friend. You can also dull the edges a bit at the tail of the ski, about an inch in front of and behind where the edge makes it's last contact with the snow, if you do more than that the ski is going to want to over turn in the back, like a rear wheel drive losing traction and the back end wants to swap position with the front.  A bit more tech, it's not the camber that makes turning 'em hard it's where the edge makes contact with the snow

2 hours ago, Sandan said:

@Mark Knapp My pleasure my friend. You can also dull the edges a bit at the tail of the ski, about an inch in front of and behind where the edge makes it's last contact with the snow, if you do more than that the ski is going to want to over turn in the back, like a rear wheel drive losing traction and the back end wants to swap position with the front.  A bit more tech, it's not the camber that makes turning 'em hard it's where the edge makes contact with the snow

That all makes perfect sense. Thanks.