Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Poopdeck

Did you ever........

Super glue eyes on the wrong side of the fly? Didn't even notice till I took it out of the vise. I'll fish it anyway and be thankful I wasn't working with power tools.

eye.jpg

Maybe you can pass it off as a baby flounder imitation.    I may have done it though I can't remember doing it.   My biggest problem has been having the eyes uneven.  I'm really OCD about it.   If they're not even, since I usually coat them with UV resin to form a head,  I end up with a lopsided head.  I'll fish but you won't see pictures of them on here or any other board.

Looks to me like not a problem to cut em off and reglue on othe side.  I do stuff like that all the time and back up....most times eyes are for the beholder not the fish I’m told but I put’em on ereything.

BTW what fish are you targeting with that tail?    Tarpon with palolo worm?  Wait they don’t have eyes.  Thinking out loud again...

Baby flounder...left and a right😝

C7B8AD32-574D-4C7E-97E8-8B380B66BB7A.jpeg

Nope, I've never put the eyes on like that.  Funny, though!  As you said, it'll still cast and draw strikes, no doubt.  I'm thinking the cold fronts are killing and crippling shad every night.  I'm sure the predators are keying in on jerking, dying (sideways sinking) shad and menhaden ... so that might actually draw MORE strikes than a correctly eyed lure.

I can't say I never did that, but it's possible. If I did it was something I probably wanted to forget.

However, I agree with Mike, it may make more sense to put them on this time of year, as you've done as some small fish do die off. I recall something I read years ago, that had mentioned tying flies in a manner in which they might imitate wounded and dying baitfish, so can't say that what you did there was the wrong side of the fly.  

The old Gerbubble bug was originally tied & meant to imitate a wounded & dying Crappie that had gone thru the turbines of a hydroelectric dam. i also recall another fly, one tied primarily for Striped bass that had the deer hair head tied sideways so it laid on the waters surface like a wounded baitfish. It's listed in Lefty's Kreh's "Saltwater Fly Patterns", but I don't recall the fly name. I remember the fly, because I used to tie them for a shop. 

9 hours ago, flytire said:

it looks like its tied “in the round” so it probably won’t matter

I’d still fish it

It is tied in the round, and the square. I will definately fish it, who knows it may be the ticket.

8 hours ago, Philly said:

Maybe you can pass it off as a baby flounder imitation.    I may have done it though I can't remember doing it.   My biggest problem has been having the eyes uneven.  I'm really OCD about it.   If they're not even, since I usually coat them with UV resin to form a head,  I end up with a lopsided head.  I'll fish but you won't see pictures of them on here or any other board.

I tend to do a lot of things most people can't remember doing. My flies are not photo worthy as a matter of routine so to have something interesting is a treat for me. 

8 hours ago, WWKimba said:

Just call it an Owlfish imitation and keep people on their toes!

Kim

Yeah it's an owlfish all right.

problem with cutting them off Denduke is I already over trimmed it as I'm trying to learn to use a razor blade instead of scissors. 

4 hours ago, redietz said:

Looks like a crippled minnow.  Try fishing it dead drift.  It night works wonders.

That's all I can hope for now but I actually think it can't hurt.

2 hours ago, mikechell said:

Nope, I've never put the eyes on like that.  Funny, though!  As you said, it'll still cast and draw strikes, no doubt.  I'm thinking the cold fronts are killing and crippling shad every night.  I'm sure the predators are keying in on jerking, dying (sideways sinking) shad and menhaden ... so that might actually draw MORE strikes than a correctly eyed lure.

Now we're talking. Positive thoughts breed positivity!

18 minutes ago, tidewaterfly said:

I can't say I never did that, but it's possible. If I did it was something I probably wanted to forget.

However, I agree with Mike, it may make more sense to put them on this time of year, as you've done as some small fish do die off. I recall something I read years ago, that had mentioned tying flies in a manner in which they might imitate wounded and dying baitfish, so can't say that what you did there was the wrong side of the fly.  

The old Gerbubble bug was originally tied & meant to imitate a wounded & dying Crappie that had gone thru the turbines of a hydroelectric dam. i also recall another fly, one tied primarily for Striped bass that had the deer hair head tied sideways so it laid on the waters surface like a wounded baitfish. It's listed in Lefty's Kreh's "Saltwater Fly Patterns", but I don't recall the fly name. I remember the fly, because I used to tie them for a shop. 

I call it the " oh dagnabbit" fly

I tied this fly after breakfast and my day got stranger. Later in the afternoon I returned home and as I walked up my driveway I caught a glimpse of fur run out from under my boat to under the passenger side of  my wife's car. Just that quick I see ground hog shoot out from under the driver's side and he chased me to the front door. There was not enough distance between us for me to get in the house without him getting in as well so I cut right into my flower bed and ran a full circle around my front yard with the ground hog giving chase. I managed to get a little more separation between us and was able to get in the front door while leaving him in the dust on my porch. I watched from the front window as he walked off so I opened the door and took one step outside only to come face to face with the charging ground hog a second time. I made it back in the door just in the nick of time. I waited an hour before I had to leave the house to get my grass cut. I didn't see him but thought he might ambush me at the shed. Tense time opening the shed door but I managed and have not seen the ground hog again. I'm use to ground hogs running from me from a distance. Never have I been chased by one before. 

8 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

I tied this fly after breakfast and my day got stranger. Later in the afternoon I returned home and as I walked up my driveway I caught a glimpse of fur run out from under my boat to under the passenger side of  my wife's car. Just that quick I see ground hog shoot out from under the driver's side and he chased me to the front door. There was not enough distance between us for me to get in the house without him getting in as well so I cut right into my flower bed and ran a full circle around my front yard with the ground hog giving chase. I managed to get a little more separation between us and was able to get in the front door while leaving him in the dust on my porch. I watched from the front window as he walked off so I opened the door and took one step outside only to come face to face with the charging ground hog a second time. I made it back in the door just in the nick of time. I waited an hour before I had to leave the house to get my grass cut. I didn't see him but thought he might ambush me at the shed. Tense time opening the shed door but I managed and have not seen the ground hog again. I'm use to ground hogs running from me from a distance. Never have I been chased by one before. 

Man Poopdeck, I'm sorry to hear this, that you've been accosted by a groundhog!  🙄  They can have a nasty bite, but I can't say I've ever had one attack me. We don't have them here where I now live, but I often encountered them in my travels when I still lived in MD. I even removed several of them for folks when I hunted and trapped back then. They can sure ruin a garden or flower beds. 

The only advice I can offer is that they're great fried and the fur & tail hair makes wonderful tying materials! 😉

1 hour ago, Poopdeck said:

I'm use to ground hogs running from me from a distance. Never have I been chased by one before. 

It may have rabid.  You were wise to avoid it.  

They don't look like they're built for speed, but they can run amazingly fast.

Will they go in a live catch trap?  I catch nuisance armoredDillars in wooden box traps..   Scented with nightcrawler fish formula and guides along a fence or wall.  We don’t have chucks or gophers down here.   Easy to build could bait it with cherries?   Prolly can’t use “lead poisoning” in a neighborhood.   

It looked healthy. It wasn't running full speed but it was running pretty fast. Almost like it was playing with me. 

I cant live trap it because they are designated as a nuisance animal and nuisance animals can't be trapped and relocated in PA. I would have to pay somebody to trap it and take it somewhere to be killed and I'm not doing that because I was chased twice in my life. Maybe I will after the third time. 

9 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

None of that was real.  

Stop eating the Morning Glory seeds.😜

Plant clover seed in your neighbor's yard  😇 I've never seen a woodchuck chase anyone, had a one in the field next to my garden and it never bothered my garden that I was aware of. When I was a kid on the farm I used to hunt them, fair table game between late May and July after that they have to much fat (used to make woodchuck stew) they are actually very fussy eaters and I found them better than rabbit (we ate a lot of rabbit late fall into winter) Maybe the groundhog got into a morning glory or poppy bulb, would have had a good laugh watching that.