Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mikemac1

Deceiver Hack

Despite being a pattern that’s been around for many decades, tying Deceiver tails is never easy.  Getting four or six feathers lined up and even can be challenging.  Whether you tie in a single feather at a time or all at once, there’s always that tendency of one or more feathers to twist a bit when thread pressure is applied.  It can be a tedious process.  There is a hack that makes the result a bit more consistent.

I recently started tying another pattern that used stiff tubes from the tube fly world to create a minnow tail.  I quickly discovered  that the technique could be adapted to the Deceiver. 

I use a Pro Sport Fisher Medium Classic Tube for this hack.  Using a longer tube is easier to handle.

1. Select four or six matched hackles of approximately the same length and curvature.
  2. Determine the desired length of the Deceiver tail and strip the fibers on the hackle at the point you would normally tie in.
  3. Trim the stripped hackle leaving ~ 1/2 inch of hackle stem.
  4. Organize the hackles either flared out or flat and insert the hackle stems into one end of the tube.
  5. Adjust the hackles into the exact position you want them.
  6. Holding the group of hackles tight, remove from the tube and apply a small amount of UV cured resin to the hackle stems.
  7. Reinsert into the tube, adjust as necessary and cure with UV light
  8. Tie the tube to the top of the hook shank making sure the hackles are aligned properly.  Trim the tube leaving sufficient room near the hook eye for other materials.
  9. Apply a bit of UV cured resin to the wraps.

BZN60577.thumb.JPG.71824f7d675b04159325599a837e3305.JPGBZN60579.thumb.JPG.ea396b9682b4add401e5f5b9d047e91e.JPGBZN60578.thumb.JPG.6b8bdce395cc69c2ebe08a8a2da0c72d.JPGBZN60580.thumb.JPG.5942f15f8758c42fe9e4dc10224ce4f2.JPGBZN60581.thumb.JPG.d7cd247074c1ce90d31f56660e900438.JPGBZN60586.thumb.JPG.2b9718e13b2f91323ed763b6efed47c7.JPGBZN60582.thumb.JPG.0a44a04dc62d8b77830c6540939b97d9.JPGBZN60584.thumb.JPG.e0cfa2b395f5a3ca6d2364db99d89974.JPG

Although this technique does add a bit more bulk to the fly body, it in effect creates a smooth, even base for what ever body material is used.

Lefty simply twisted four feathers together and tied them in with little regard to precise direction, angle or placement. The deceiver is time honored for its simplicity. 

1 hour ago, Poopdeck said:

Lefty simply twisted four feathers together and tied them in with little regard to precise direction, angle or placement. The deceiver is time honored for its simplicity. 

I do the same thing, and yeah I heard he did that also so I just do it how he does it.  I grab 3 or 4 feathers, don’t really care too much how precise it is.  They catch fish just fine that way.  

19 minutes ago, Mogup said:

Nice feathers mikemac1

CDL Rooster Cape - Badger dyed Chartruese.  They make great Deceiver tails 

33 minutes ago, mikemac1 said:

CDL Rooster Cape - Badger dyed Chartruese.  They make great Deceiver tails 

Thanks Mike.