Fly Tying
petelangevin

Anyone dealing with carpal tunnel syndrome?

I have been unable to tie anything lately due to some pretty sever cts,  just curious if anyone else is having the same issues.   Went to md today,  more tests and wait another 6 weeks for plan.   This is going to cut into my winter plans.   

My wife and I both use a right hand wrist sleep support to help reduce or eliminate the pain we experience in our wrists.

We don’t have carpal tunnel yet, but if I did I would probably use a CT wrist stabilizer.

image.thumb.jpeg.46876d8cee3a55c620850f18fe3ef94e.jpeg

Product Large Image tablet

I don't have carpal tunnel thankfully. 

I've had tendonitis issues in the past, and dealt with that for several years, even after I gave up a job that was causing much of it. I also have a good bit of arthritis in my finger joints, which makes tying difficult sometimes. Now apparently too I have Dupuytren's Contracture in my left hand, which has been making tying and other things challenging.

The last few days my back's been bothering me, been sitting a lot  working with assembling lures, and prepping jigs for painting, and tonight it's finally caught up with me. 

This getting older is not for sissies. 🙄

39 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Isn't Carpal Tunnel Syndrome one of those pains they can eliminate by injecting Cortisone?

No, it usually requires surgery.

6 hours ago, fshng2 said:

My wife and I both use a right hand wrist sleep support to help reduce or eliminate the pain we experience in our wrists.

We don’t have carpal tunnel yet, but if I did I would probably use a CT wrist stabilizer.

image.thumb.jpeg.46876d8cee3a55c620850f18fe3ef94e.jpeg

I've had pain from my forearm to my wrist for about a week--mostly noticeable when I am "mousing" at the PC, and seems to flare up after I dump another 40# bag of pellets into the water softener.  The pic above reminded me that I own a "related" item for "tennis elbow", and so I just put it on.  So this is my long-winded way  of saying thank you for that suggestion.  If I had one of those wrist supports handy, I would put it on too.  For now, I'll focus on how much better my forearm feels so that my wrist doesn't bother me so much!  : )

I had the surgery.   Fixed the problem.   Waiting too long can result in permanent damage.   Recovery was not bad at all.

Mine is advanced,  having circulation problems in right hand    When its cold it stays cold.  I need both operated on as well as a few other things.  Being a telephone tech is catching up with me.  Lumping ladders and working with hand tools is for the young.  

14 hours ago, Bill_729 said:

I've had pain from my forearm to my wrist for about a week--mostly noticeable when I am "mousing" at the PC, and seems to flare up after I dump another 40# bag of pellets into the water softener.  The pic above reminded me that I own a "related" item for "tennis elbow", and so I just put it on.  So this is my long-winded way  of saying thank you for that suggestion.  If I had one of those wrist supports handy, I would put it on too.  For now, I'll focus on how much better my forearm feels so that my wrist doesn't bother me so much!  : )

You are welcome.

My wife and I also take a daily tablet of Glucosamine Chondroitin from Wallgreens, which has helped with whole body joint pain. 
This worked so well we give our furry friend Sadie, the dog version (Hip & Joint) which has helped her as well.

Product Large Image tablet

Went a couple of thousand mile motorcycle trip and didn't replace grips and weight bar like I was told to do with that bike. Doc put me on wrist braces like those above and used a special pad and support on the mouse at work. Took a month or so for pain to let up enough to quit pills and another month to remove braces. Fortunately that trip was last trip of fall and by next spring I was fine again and have remained so. Sold that bike, put ISO Grips on next bike and weighted bars ends and never had the problems again. When the pain set in from that bike trip I then understood what people whining about carpal tunnel were whining about and joined them in whining.

I will edit to add carpal tunnel is one of those pains that is with you day and night and there is no quick trick to get away from the pain. Most things that hurt like knees, elbows, neck, you can find temporary relief from in positioning or resting but not CPS.

I have to do more testing before md will do surgery.   I have put it off for too long. I can't pick up pins or hooks off the floor   

Bill

"mousing at the PC"

You might want to try a Vertical Mouse, it can help a lot.  Kinda like holding joystick, rather than having the palm of your hand down over the mouse.

Really helps me a lot.  I've had 3 carpel tunnel surgries - 2 on right, 1 left and the vertical mouse helps.

Take care,

George

I also found that having a pillow in front of my head at night while I sleep and I can 'stand' my arm up leaning against the pillow helps with the pain.

Another thing that I have some relief with is a high potency CBD ointment.  Rub some on the tendons at the wrist and across the thumb muscles.   I too have braces that I ware when I sleep.  Or if you can get you hands on some Flexeril.  At least you won't care what pain you have while you sleep it off.

Michael