Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicrider

Why my squirmy worms fall apart...

It took me a lot of wasted squirmies to figure it out. Thing is, way back in my mind there was something I read that should have tipped me off. I tried really loose thread wrap. Wrapping with fat threads or even floss. No matter how I tied my squirmies they'd pull apart before I could get them to the water. The squirmies I was using could stretch from 2" to 2' without breaking. Well after I'd get them nicely tied up I'd hit with Super Glue. I've been using Krazy Glue for quite a while on heads and other things but never realized until tonight it was melting my squirmy worm. DOH

Now I'll be able to tie up some squirmies to last and with the mop flies and mega worms I will be able to trout fish and leave years of careful tying of traditional patterns in the box while I fish pieces cut for a car washing mitt, rubber worms from a kids toy, and mega worms from baby yarn.

6 hours ago, vicrider said:

I will be able to trout fish and leave years of careful tying of traditional patterns in the box while I fish pieces cut for a car washing mitt, rubber worms from a kids toy, and mega worms from baby yarn.

LOL, funny. 

Super Glue and Krazy Glue are probably the same thing. Check the label. I use CA glue from Harbor Freight and Dollar Tree for lots of things.

12 hours ago, vicrider said:

Now I'll be able to tie up some squirmies to last and with the mop flies and mega worms I will be able to trout fish and leave years of careful tying of traditional patterns in the box while I fish pieces cut for a car washing mitt, rubber worms from a kids toy, and mega worms from baby yarn.

I resemble the above, at least with the mop flies and the mega worms.  What I ended up doing with the squirmy wormies  was thread them on the hook like  I would a red wiggler.  A bit of super glue at the thread points and that was it.  Seem to last longer and caught more fish.

Philly, what brand of CA are you using. Tried Krazy Glue to see if that was my problem and it dissolved plastic. Anyway, I have to tie the squirmy on. Just stringing it on like  worm would make me feel so guilty I couldn't use it like that. Bad enough to tie on mops and baby yarn but to fish a "fly" without even tying a thread? My conscience wouldn't let me do it..

2 hours ago, vicrider said:

Philly, what brand of CA are you using. Tried Krazy Glue to see if that was my problem and it dissolved plastic. Anyway, I have to tie the squirmy on. Just stringing it on like  worm would make me feel so guilty I couldn't use it like that. Bad enough to tie on mops and baby yarn but to fish a "fly" without even tying a thread? My conscience wouldn't let me do it..

I've been using Gorilla super glue.  I don't feel guilty about gluing.  You could always tie a "hot spot" on the hook, that would cover the not tying guilt.  Or you could just tie the tip on the hook and thread the rest of it.  Guilt issue resolved.