Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Fishing the San Antonio Riverwalk

The San Antonio Riverwalk is a major tourist destination. Probably the top tourist destination for San Antonio. Well that and the Alamo. I took my son and daughter walking down at the riverwalk the other day, and saw some fish in the water. I looked up the regulations, and apparently you are allowed to fish at the Breckenridge park. So I decided to give it a try. I took my fly rod, and a couple of flies and headed down to the park. Now it was an overcast day, but it turned out to be a good thing, as the fishing was great! The Rio Cichlids were the largest I have ever caught, and it was a blast with my little 3wt fly rod. These fight well for their size, and readily eat flies like bluegill and other sunfish do.

If you are ever in San Antonio, I recommend checking this river out. Please practice catch and release and take care of the fish though. Oh and also I have heard that the river runs through the San Antonio Zoo, and therefor some animal excrement will run through the water there. So make sure and don't put your hands in your mouth, and wash your hands well when you are done fishing. Also it is a city park, and while ive never had any trouble or felt like it was dangerous, you should still keep your wits about you. You never can be too careful in a city.

thanks for the post, my sister in law lives in san Antonio. I'll be packing the flyrod next time we go down for a visit.

My parents used to live in SA. You must fish a different place than downtown. Where we were was lined with restaurants, stores, bars, etc. No room for a backcast. Funny thing- we were there in the evening to catch the Christmas parade on the river. Birds were thick in the trees and making lots of noise. An idiot from a restaurant came out and banged on a pan, scaring the birds. We all know what birds do when they take off! Outdoor diners were very unhappy!

Dang we missed the Rios and the park.   Don’t miss the TexasRangersBuckhornBarGrill museum and Guadalupe trout fishing.    Also the wildlife park and the cavern....ah ah and the Alamo.

4C2AB182-01F9-412D-B099-E72A35C81920.png

5A5ABE57-CD01-419E-B255-F1640745E57D.png

7C5388A2-909A-41F1-979A-902F701CF915.png

7D899A5F-2002-4DFC-BE16-119DB82E902E.png

E5A562E0-ABB3-45B6-89F9-5120FFF64CDC.png

B1F8AAB6-079B-4D43-BEF5-0B61ECA08BE9.png

35AE8C89-C9B2-45FF-9962-ECA369586078.png

1892087B-BAD7-41EE-A4A4-4E5D0C4C141B.png

Jack, and upstate.  It was surprising how nice the fish were there.  Make sure and wash your hands though when your done, I hear it’s really dirty!  
skeet, it is still considered down town, it’s the park area or river walk.  It says San Antonio river walk on the sign when you arrive at the park...  but yes it’s not the area where the restaurants are.  But all you gotta do is walk a mile or so, and you are there.  

4 hours ago, denduke said:

For the interested viewers.   Great place to live SanAntonio...visit.

Thanks!  yeah its cool here.  I have to say, I miss colorado, but there is good about here also.  Just wish there was less people!  HAHA.  I miss the quiet.  Im a little sick of base blaring every night and waking me up 6 times per night.  LOL