Fly Tying

So, I have some foam (not fly tying foam) at my house, and I was wondering if it would be possible to make indicators out of them?

22 minutes ago, TIER said:

So, I have some foam (not fly tying foam) at my house, and I was wondering if it would be possible to make indicators out of them?

Is it craft foam? 

Not sure what type of foam you have there, Tier, but here are some links to some DIY foam indicators. I picked up a stack of multi colored foam sheets (with peel adhesive on one side) at WalMart for a few buck and cut them into strips as in the last link, except I don't bother rounding the corners. I usually tri-fold them onto my leader.  They're very cheap, adhere well, and are surprisingly durable, and I don't think I will ever run out.  

http://www.minnesotasteelheader.com/Strike_indicators.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe8cu18S0Cc&feature=youtu.be

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/diy-indicators.362323/

I honestly don't have any clue what kind of foam i have. I'll try to post pictures of a couple of the ones I made.

Tried one several years ago. I didn't care for it. I have either watched the line and leader for subtle twitches or used a dry fly as an indicator. Doubles the chances of getting a strike, IMHO. Tried an indicator in warmwater but bluegill kept hitting it!

I am not allowed to use a multi hook setup in the river I fish. and i normally do long casts to get to the fish so i can't see the leader move.

23 minutes ago, TIER said:

I am not allowed to use a multi hook setup in the river I fish. and i normally do long casts to get to the fish so i can't see the leader move.

Gotcha!

Here are my 3 wood indicators

896766215_Screenshot2020-11-01132931.png.d8e01039894bd5fdcb50f0029143bd61.png

And here is one of my many foam indicators.

850819401_Screenshot2020-11-01132819.png.bbab0bcfc1563cf030ae7e7e6b775d98.png

will any of these work? I am also thinking I should paint them vibrant colors so I can see them better.

If those wooden ones are made of dense hardwood, they might not stay afloat with weight and drag on them.  Won't know until you try them.  Yes, bright orange or yellow, like store bought bobbers.

Closed cell foam is very buoyant  and won't require much to hold flies up.  Again, no idea if yours will work until you try.  But these work for me, and they're relatively small.

19953_source_1581040259.jpg

I've made indicators out of spun deer body hair - great use for those bargain (re: read SECONDS) multi colored 1 inch square packs of 6 or so colors.  Insert a needle in the vice and tie/spin the hair on the needle, pull tight while removing the hair from the sharp end of the needle.  Trim to size/shape you like.  You can make any color/color combination those 6 colors will give you.

Kim

36 minutes ago, WWKimba said:

I've made indicators out of spun deer body hair - great use for those bargain (re: read SECONDS) multi colored 1 inch square packs of 6 or so colors.  Insert a needle in the vice and tie/spin the hair on the needle, pull tight while removing the hair from the sharp end of the needle.  Trim to size/shape you like.  You can make any color/color combination those 6 colors will give you.

Kim

How do you attach the newly created deerbug to the leader?