Fly Tying
flytire

November Flies From the Vise

5 hours ago, Philly said:

I'll second what Moshup said.   Great looking fly.  It would look even better if you used clear mono.  You should be able to pick up a 400 yard spool of either clear mono or clear polyester thread in the sewing section of your nearest craft store.   It's a large spool but it will fit on a bobbin.  Picture below.

post-309-0-28898500-1459549485.jpg

You can go a step further and wrap flash over heads then UV.

57542896-55FB-4867-ADFC-AC77685CCF6B.png

4 minutes ago, Pbass said:

@Sandan Thank you man. I appreciate the encouraging words. I looked at pictures on line and it seems like everyone ties them a bit different. I finally had to just pick one style. I am trying to follow  the directions and style that Charlie Craven ties in his video.  He does a cool football shaped bump under the tail that kinda fans the tail out in a way I like. Not that the fish care but I like the way it looks. I also noticed in his video that the fly always looks clean and under control in every step. So that is going to be my goal. One step at a time done as cleanly as I can get it. I actually have the "correct" materials on order now too. Thanks again! 

You got it. Charlie is a tying G-d, you could do a lot worse than trying to emulate him. I also subscribe to the "get the step you're on right before going on to the next one".   If it's not right, undo what you did and do it again and again and again....till you get it to where you're satisfied.  That you're going to work on one particular style/variation is the correct way to go, IMHO. Consistency is one of the goals in this fly tying "game" of ours.  Correct materials help too.  You can always substitute later.  Keep at it my friend. 

PT Montana Nymph

50588727306_4c93bb72d2_c.jpg

50588727301_eab822456f_c.jpg

50588847632_de9ac8d656_c.jpg

The Brits have some some interesting variations on the old Montana nymph.  The one I found here had a Straggle thorax; subbed in dubbing since I had none.

hook - WFC Model 11 #14
thread - Danville 6/0 black 
tail - pheasant tail 
rib - small wire silver  
abdomen - tying thread 
wingcase - pheasant tail
hackle - hen black
thorax - Ice Dub Caddis Green

Regards,
Scott

Thanks for all the kind words for my black ghost marabou earlier. I tied a couple more and I’m looking for some constructive critiques. Below are the three I have tied in order. I think my third one is the best. Tinsel doesn’t look to busy, head is decent and body is pretty even.  My second one I don’t like the head and I think I did too many tinsel wraps. What do you guys think? I know the fish don’t care but I do. 
thanks 
769A751E-C15B-4ADB-BC00-3D7F55B8E006.thumb.jpeg.fc0e6d254a4222b6130bd6af11e999db.jpeg29865E85-42B6-482A-A305-4B166BCDF112.thumb.jpeg.051fbd2bcd01e11f7e5b92cc095d78bb.jpeg2B5E2A08-60BF-49D5-820E-FF1363DD33A4.thumb.jpeg.f0cbd67ab3945a9c838dcb435eaae7cc.jpeg

1 hour ago, niveker said:

@Upstate

I'd be happy to see any of those coming off my vise, but #3 is definitely the best. 

Thanks, The head on each one is at a different step. I'm using regular head cement initially and then building up a head with Sally Hansen hard as nails(couple coats). I'm trying the Sally Hansen for the first time. I like it so far. Especially the looks I got from the women at target when I was trying to find it in the cosmetic section. 

Pheasant Rump Montana

50590436073_895d8268cc_c.jpg

50590435878_44be87faf6_c.jpg

50590435963_d62e0eebb1_c.jpg

Freestyle variation of the PT Montana.

hook - Maruto 7989 #8
thread - Danville 6/0 black 
tag - small wire chartreuse 
tail - pheasant rump dyed black
rib - small wire chartreuse 
abdomen - medium tinsel holo black
wingcase - large tinsel holo black
thorax - Estaz chartreuse 
hackle - hen black
collar - pheasant rump dyed black

Regards,
Scott

@SBPatt  if I was a trout I’d snap up that PT Montana nymph lickety split. Nice.

SBPatt I am liking the last two. Definite confidence patterns.
Is it difficult dying the pheasant rump black?

3 hours ago, Upstate said:

The head on each one is at a different step

Ok, I see. 

If I'm tying streamers for myself or friends, I just slap one coat of Sallys on there.  It its for a swap, to get that smooth, shiny head, I'll do a few coats of nail polish in the desired color that I glom from my daughters.  Although I have it, I usually don't bother with head cement.  

59 minutes ago, fshng2 said:

SBPatt I am liking the last two. Definite confidence patterns.
Is it difficult dying the pheasant rump black?

Thanks. I haven’t had much experience dyeing black; from what I know, it’s best to dye it dark brown or dark blue first before the black.  I bought the rump patch already dyed so I didn’t have to deal with that.

Regards,
Scott

@Bimini15 nice !   What are you targeting with  those and what conditions do u like to use them under. Thanx

Bass and Peacocks down here in South Florida.

I have good luck with them early in the morning. Our freshwater down here is tannic and I think the yellow helps with visibility.

Or that’s my story 😀

57 minutes ago, Bimini15 said:

Bass and Peacocks down here in South Florida.

I only caught bream and bass on top.  Had better luck with streamer and fiber bait fish fly.  Even for  the MyanCichlids.  Never managed a “FeatherBack” on a bug.   Those exotics are a trip down there in Paradise.  I envy youse SouthFlorida guys!

F9AAE1CF-7490-4CB1-B78A-9686ADF4E604.png

7ECF48AA-2811-497A-B3CC-ED39429CDA34.png

CDEA1615-D797-4DB9-A991-5C70BDD4B1C4.png

28958902-B3CB-4DBE-B450-B15B859F6B08.png