Fly Tying
flytire

November Flies From the Vise

Stimulator attempt. I am just learning and using what materials I have on hand. This one is my 2nd attempt. I think the thread head is too big, the tail is too long and the abdomen and thorax are too short. But I really enjoyed tying it and once they get better I will really enjoy fishing them too! 

DSC_0043.jpeg

@Mogup - very nice.  I have good luck with his older brother, the Henryville Special, but I'm too lazy to keep my box supplied with them.  

34 minutes ago, niveker said:

@Mogup - very nice.  I have good luck with his older brother, the Henryville Special, but I'm too lazy to keep my box supplied with them.  

Thanks niveker and you’re right about the Henryville Special as I was goggling Hemingway Special the two would often come up together in the search results.  This was a fly that was mentioned in Gary LaFontaine’s book “Dry flies” which I just p/u for 10 $ in a used store. Always liked LaFontaine’s stuff.

@Pbass Very nice !   Couldn’t help noticing though that there’s a bit of a smudge on those Dyna King jaws ! 😳

12 minutes ago, Mogup said:

@Pbass Very nice !   Couldn’t help noticing though that there’s a bit of a smudge on those Dyna King jaws ! 😳

Thanks @Mogup ! Yep time to get those jaws dirty!  And Nice Hemingway Special! Your inspiring me to learn some dry flies! 

Darling’s Moses Shrimp Softhackle (variation)

50579280047_ac01e7a3ca_c.jpg

50578414153_ff772a6e86_c.jpg

50578414148_6d3ea75e00_c.jpg

hook - BVFT Dry #10
thread - Danville 6/0 black 
tail - golden pheasant tippets 
rib - small wire silver 
underbody - MFC 6/0 fire orange 
abdomen - medium tinsel pearl 
thorax - tying thread 
hackle - hen dun (thorax only)
1st collar - hot orange
2nd collar - mottled hen

Regards,
Scott

4 minutes ago, SBPatt said:

Darling’s Moses Shrimp Softhackle (variation)

I really dig that! looks clean. 

6BD4CCBE-E82F-4F53-9D56-24A02ABC9CD8.thumb.jpeg.407a5ef73294a5dd4396e806fe4277ee.jpeg

Flash mullet

Hook: Mustad Octopus, size 1

Thread: 3/0 Danville, steel gray

Body: Angel Hair, black pearl/silver holo/pearl

Eyes: 1/4” 3d molded, yellow

Head: Clear Cure Goo, thin, Bone Dry UV overcoat.

For the Conneticut boys !

”Housatonic Quill”   Variant

Hook.      .........    Varivas S 2000.  Sz 12

Thread.   .........    UTC 70.  Olive

Tail.         .........     Cdl.   Light speckled   *** orig called for Wood duck flank***  I don’ t find them very buoyant so I sub.***

Body.       ........      Stripped peacock quill

Wings.     .......      Wood duck flank

Hackle.    .......      Whiting Dun Badger rooster cape

32926DCA-25FE-43AA-90A9-3434A9C9B6E5.jpeg

9 hours ago, Moshup said:

For the Conneticut boys !

”Housatonic Quill”   Variant

Hook.      .........    Varivas S 2000.  Sz 12

Thread.   .........    UTC 70.  Olive

Tail.         .........     Cdl.   Light speckled   *** orig called for Wood duck flank***  I don’ t find them very buoyant so I sub.***

Body.       ........      Stripped peacock quill

Wings.     .......      Wood duck flank

Hackle.    .......      Whiting Dun Badger rooster cape

32926DCA-25FE-43AA-90A9-3434A9C9B6E5.jpeg

@Mogup @Moshup, who are you?  Nice work on both.

11 hours ago, Chasing_Tails said:

6BD4CCBE-E82F-4F53-9D56-24A02ABC9CD8.thumb.jpeg.407a5ef73294a5dd4396e806fe4277ee.jpeg

Flash mullet

Hook: Mustad Octopus, size 1

Thread: 3/0 Danville, steel gray

Body: Angel Hair, black pearl/silver holo/pearl

Eyes: 1/4” 3d molded, yellow

Head: Clear Cure Goo, thin, Bone Dry UV overcoat.

I'll second what Moshup said.   Great looking fly.  It would look even better if you used clear mono.  You should be able to pick up a 400 yard spool of either clear mono or clear polyester thread in the sewing section of your nearest craft store.   It's a large spool but it will fit on a bobbin.  Picture below.

post-309-0-28898500-1459549485.jpg

14 hours ago, Pbass said:

Stimulator attempt. I am just learning and using what materials I have on hand. This one is my 2nd attempt. I think the thread head is too big, the tail is too long and the abdomen and thorax are too short. But I really enjoyed tying it and once they get better I will really enjoy fishing them too! 

DSC_0043.jpeg

@Pbass, looks good. Stimis aren't the easiest of ties, keep at it. I think tying them really help figure out proportions

3 hours ago, Sandan said:

@Pbass, looks good. Stimis aren't the easiest of ties, keep at it. I think tying them really help figure out proportions

@Sandan Thank you man. I appreciate the encouraging words. I looked at pictures on line and it seems like everyone ties them a bit different. I finally had to just pick one style. I am trying to follow  the directions and style that Charlie Craven ties in his video.  He does a cool football shaped bump under the tail that kinda fans the tail out in a way I like. Not that the fish care but I like the way it looks. I also noticed in his video that the fly always looks clean and under control in every step. So that is going to be my goal. One step at a time done as cleanly as I can get it. I actually have the "correct" materials on order now too. Thanks again!