Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MuskyFlyGuy

Hackle shout out

For the last three years I have been buying my necks from Root River Hackle. I only use saddles and they really meet my needs. The feathers are great.  They are a mom/pop business in Lanesboro, MN. I am not related to them and have no relationship other than I purchase from them. They do have great service and will dye to meet your needs. I am not trying to get in a debate about all the other great feather sources. I was looking for a local source and found it. 
Tom

I’ve ordered a couple hundred-packs from them. They are pretty dang good. The pics I’ve seen of their whole capes and saddles look nice. Great customer service, too. There was a mix-up on my first order. They unexpectedly sent an extra hundred pack and they were super nice during the whole thing. 

Thanks for the reminder about them. Need to see about ordering from them again.

Sideling is also making some in roads.  If you are a fan of Art Flick’s “Red Quill” that the place where you can pu

an authentic Rhode Island Red among so other nice hackles.  I do appreciate Whiting in all my bones but I do like 

shopping odd shades,splashes and speckled.

@Schmang sorry my misspelling.  Skilton.  I know you’ll find him in face book and e bay and maybe etsy. “skilto” seller on ebay.

I have bought Whiting Pro Frade or Whiting Herbert Miner Pro Grade from Jim's Fly Shop for about 20 years. I have found it to be the most cost effective hackle.

Here's a link which now confirms what I have learned though my personal experience.

http://www.flyfishfood.com/2014/09/hackle-comparisons.html

46609989234_cb710c7d19_3k.jpg

@SilverCreek.  Whiting Pro grade capes are going for 47.00 at Jim’s these days.  Maybe you’re getting a discount ?

The chart I posted is from an article the was posted some time ago so the prices are not current BUT the least expensive hackle per fly should be valid since the relative cost of all grades go up in lock step.