Fly Tying
DFoster

Kitchen project fininshed - time to go fishing.

My wife has as much a passion for cooking as I do for fly fishing.   She's a very skilled gourmet cook - for proof I offer my expanding waistline.  And just like fly fishing good quality tools are an investment in avoiding frustration.  To that end over the years we have upgraded most of our cookware with professional quality replacements.  Our stove was top of the line when the house was built back in 1992 but it was now dying a slow death.  For the last few years we struggled with it more and more but replacing it was going to be a difficult because it was a down draft design.  This means the exhaust was vented in a 6 inch pipe down through the floor from our center island and running out side the house through 8' of the basement ceiling.  Currently there is only one company producing a down draft stove and the reviews of it are terrible.   The solution was to add a hood vent system over the island which would allow her to purchase any stove she liked.

Problem 1) We live in a 2 floor colonial and the ceiling is finished above the island with hard wood floors in the hallway above it.  Placing the new 6" vent pipe between the joist to the out the side of the house was delicate task.  A lot of math was involve to avoid making a hole(s) in the wrong spot.   This was critical because matching the 28 year old siding would be impossible.  Fortunately I had a lot of help from my son in law who is project manager for a major construction company.

Problem 2) The unit weights 95lbs so the ceiling must be reinforced between the joist to handle the weight.  This required opening a hole big enough to work though but not so big it would show after the hood vent chimney was in place.  My friend Steve was invaluable helping out with this.  We also had to move the existing ceiling power over 6 inches and my wife matched the plaster and paint perfectly.

Problem 3) The island needed to be moved 3 inches to center the stove under the hood.  Not a big deal but because it has power outlets built in I had to rewire them to obtain enough power cable slack.  Also the opening for the new stove was an eighth of an inch smaller than it needed to be so I had to cut it with a skill saw to make room. 

The whole project required about 4 weeks working on it here and there.  My wife now has a working stove and I'm glad it's over with - besides the stress these types of projects cause it also cut into my autumn fishing! 

Below are some start to finish photos. 

IMG_6630.thumb.JPG.56664f9ccb1739040dcbd8df1881367c.JPG

IMG_6638.thumb.JPG.6afdfa4d4b1e41226d09bbcb25db14ef.JPGIMG_6840.thumb.JPG.6e5318593bd757e8945a177ca23dd559.JPG

IMG_6875.thumb.PNG.3c77dc5a1b446382ebbcb478a71115c6.PNGIMG_6844.thumb.JPG.712a1b5be21d5a458012eca601bc6c27.JPG

IMG_6944.thumb.JPG.afdb7ba611a9397947f23e54eb20ec5a.JPGIMG_6957.thumb.JPG.998601db567944be9b4700a20fd0dace.JPG

IMG_6985.thumb.JPG.1eaf208bb0d3c857481afb36f1fd2c45.JPG

Nice job DF! Nothing looks better in the kitchen than a nice range hood. For years I looked at a god awful microwave over my range and just hated it. the day I ripped it out and installed a nice range hood was a day well worth the aggravation of cutting a hole in my roof and installing a vent through the attic. It's those kinds of projects that makes getting out on the water special. 

Nice. Kitchen is my style as well. It always kills me when I watch HGTV and see these people go into a house where the kitchen has really nice wood cabinets, and then paint over the wood 😬

13 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Nice. Kitchen is my style as well. It always kills me when I watch HGTV and see these people go into a house where the kitchen has really nice wood cabinets, and then paint over the wood 😬

I agree. Especially when the colors are green or battleship grey. I sold custom and factory cabinetry for over 2 years. If God wanted painted wood, He would have made painted trees.

BTW, the only time I watch HGTV is for a few seconds when the wife has watched it and I change to Lone Star Law or North Woods Law...or something worthwhile.

On 11/5/2020 at 9:26 PM, Steeldrifter said:

Thanks Steve- our cabinets are mahogany that my wife had custom made when the house was built. I believe there is a special place in hell for people who paint over beautiful wood. Growing up in an old colonial house I can still remember my parents stripping lead paint to find gorgeous hardwood underneath.  It took them years to remove it.   

On 11/4/2020 at 10:29 PM, Poopdeck said:

Nice job DF! Nothing looks better in the kitchen than a nice range hood. For years I looked at a god awful microwave over my range and just hated it. the day I ripped it out and installed a nice range hood was a day well worth the aggravation of cutting a hole in my roof and installing a vent through the attic. It's those kinds of projects that makes getting out on the water special. 

Thanks Mr Deck!  I got on the water Thursday and Friday and it was special. I try to remind myself any time out with a rod in hand is special.  Sadly on my 3rd cast on Thursday I lost my personal largest fish ever after a 2 minute fight. 30” Land lock salmon that will haunt me all winter and maybe forever.   To be fair I think I was out gunned, my 5x looked like it had been cut with nippers. I think I know what it feels like to get to the Super Bowl and lose. Tough to shake that one off but with a full day ahead of me I had too.  I’m thankful I caught a lot of fish over the past few days, small they may be and the hood vent was still there when I got home - I thought maybe I dreamt it was done.