Fly Tying
davidmac

Road kill

Roadkill...all the time!!! The best ones are the fresh ones, that you hunt, with your car. It is quite the art form to kill them and not turn them into a bloody pancake. Awhile back, someone nailed a deer on a busy road not far from home. A nice full winter coat reduced to a pile of STEAMING hamburger in the middle of the road. Even I passed on that one.

Art

I have not hi jacked a road kill since I was 15 years old. We got enough porcupine quills to help gramps restore an indian relic he was working on.

I can get all I fur I need from a furrier at a fair price.

BFR

My wife told me I couldnt pick up dead turkeys on the highway anymore. Said something about looking like a Hoosier grinning from ear to ear carrying that dead animal.

biggrin.gif I was wondering how she knew I was born in Indiana

There is always a bunch of roadside racoons and skunks out here, as well as the occasional muskrat and squirrel.

The only thing that's been stopping me so far is that I haven't the foggiest idea how to preserve the hide.... Any pointers on the process (tanning?) out there?

Thanks,

Cheers!

Gary

Tim Smith, sounds like what you describe is the mating dance of the partridge. It is used by the males to attract a female (no kidding and no offense intended). You must have been doing something or maybe wearing a specific color to trigger the response. In Tennessee, you can keep roadkill by getting permission from the wildlife agency or the local law enforcement agency. Maybe that's why we have so many overweight people in Tennessee. I do have some friends that collect roadkill. I like to look around under the trees in my backyard. Parks with ducks are great.

gARY FOR TANNING START WITH A HIGH SPF FOR

A SHORT PERIOD THEN WORK YOUR WAY DOWN TO A LOWER

SPF.I NEVER TAN BETWEEN 12 TO 3 .SUNS TOO HARSH. rolleyes.gif

Heck yes, I have enuff turkey for a lifetime, plenty o' grouse too. Those guys can get rude. Started their drumming here last week.

recently picked up a nice fresh bunny. we turned it into an educational thing and the kids got to learn "how a bunny works"

gary

I just tacked it out on a flat board to make the scraping easy and then scrape the fatty layer off. Cover with a generous layer of salt, leave a day, give the hide another clean up and salt again to be sure.

be careful when putting road kill in with your other capes. I seal them in a press seal plastic bag with something to kill bugs (not napthalene cause it steeeenks). dont want the genetics to get eaten.

Cheers

Blake

We have several threads from past discussions of home tanning/boraxing/salting you guys might want to search for. Lots of good information.

I've picked up various things over the years, but the two best were an opossum and a turkey. I couldn't legally posess the turkey without a tag, so I plucked all the wing and tail feathers, and many of the bronze feathers. The opossum got skinned, scraped, and boraxed as described above.

I've snipped a couple squirrel tails and a raccoon tail, but frankly I've never really figured out what to use the raccoon tail for.

The area I live in is thick with deer. I have a friend who is on a "call sheet" with the local police department to collect roadkill deer. They give him a possession tag and he can legally butcher the deer. I've been the recipient of both meat and fur this way.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.