Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutmaster08

My first attempt at.....Something?

I've never tried tying anything artistic until yesterday but here it is. I actually really liked tying it. Any tips for me to go further with this?

IMG_20201106_151819.jpg

IMG_20201106_151832.jpg

It's something alright. 😉. Keep at it. The other threads in this forum have a ton of info. Browse 'em and I bet you'll find some good stuff education wise. 

2 hours ago, Upstate said:

looks great! tie it on and go catch a fish with it

I second the motion.

Cool! You've got to start somewhere, so you have that part done! If you are serious about improving your skills, I'd start with some established patterns to start building individual skills. Eventually, you'll be able to use those and take off running. Starting with an established pattern also makes it easier to give helpful critique since we now what the pattern should look like. 

Here is a good tutorial program you can go through, if you're interested. http://ronnlucassr.com/tutorials/preliminary-information/  Ronn is a master and this tutorial is highly recommended by many. 

The main thing is, keep tying and keep having fun and keep posting your progress!

23 hours ago, flykid said:

start with some established patterns to start building individual skills. Eventually, you'll be able to use those and take off running. Starting with an established pattern also makes it easier to give helpful critique since we now what the pattern should look like. 

Great advice for any beginner.  I spent alot of time (and materials) when I first started tying 'making up' my own flies.  Some caught fish, most didn't.  Most ended up with me taking the razor to them.  Even now, especially as the season winds down, I go through my fly boxes and say to myself, 'what the heck was I thinking?'.