Fly Tying
DFoster

The fly patch problem

This summer I purchased an Umpqua Overlook Chest pack which I absolutely love.  However I kept loosing used flies from the fly patch while fighting though foliage to reach the next fishing spot.   If anyone else is having the same problem here is a simple solution.  I purchased a small Plano box, attached some Scotch dual lock (heavy Velcro) and drilled holes for airflow.  As long as you remember to shut the box your used flies will still be there when you get home.  The holes do a surprisingly decent job of allowing the moisture to exit  (I tried it without them and it didn't take long for water droplets to form on the clear plastic).   Also the space dividers in the box are removable to accommodate long streamers.  A larger box is also an option.   Since almost every fly pack these days use a similar foam patch attached with Velcro I thought this might help some one out.

IMG_7097.thumb.JPG.2430ef9aa5081260365f6474f337ef04.JPGIMG_7094.thumb.JPG.4cb1d89eccaa6cff1aaea4356826a5dd.JPGIMG_7096.thumb.JPG.4cb293ec7ac46bb0609a7af9c53080b7.JPGIMG_7095.thumb.JPG.c977da96e2cfde4f5754641eddc168bf.JPG

Interesting idea.  Actually, a good idea.  I've certainly lost a fair number of flies over the years, especially since I went barbless, from both wool and foam patches.   I was going to say most of my warm water flies wouldn't fit but since the compartment dividers are removable I could fit some of them.   Still I find my chest pack clunky enough without adding additional bling to it and given my dexterity and memory, I would manage to knock the whole box off, and since it has holes drilled in it would promptly sink or I would forget to close the lid or even better put it on the pack so that when the box is open it's facing down.   I do have some boxes like that I'm not using and plenty of Velcro I'll see if I can set one up on my chest pack.  Odds are come the spring, I'll just drop the used flies into the pocket on my vest I have reserved for them. 

2 hours ago, Philly said:

Still I find my chest pack clunky enough without adding additional bling to it and given my dexterity and memory, I would manage to knock the whole box off, and since it has holes drilled in it would promptly sink or I would forget to close the lid or even better put it on the pack so that when the box is open it's facing down.

The Scotch Dual Lock grabs the Velcro pretty good, I don't think you could accidentally knock the box off.  I really had to pull on it to get it to release for the photo.  As for forgetting to close the lid...🙄

I used to wear a vest with a camel pack with Powerade. Got too hot in the summer. I have a Dr. Slick lanyard with two fly boxes that latch. Lanyard holds hemostats, tippet spools, clippers, hook remover and floatant. Never needed any more than that. A friend uses a small soft side cooler slung over his shoulder. After reading this thread, don't think I would want a chest pack.

I've done exactly the same thing with a old Sucrets box when they were making them out of plastic for a few years.  I put eight holes in it. It stays in the vented inner pocket of my vest.  Wet flies go in and they're invariably dry an hour later.

54 minutes ago, skeet3t said:

I used to wear a vest with a camel pack with Powerade. Got too hot in the summer. I have a Dr. Slick lanyard with two fly boxes that latch. Lanyard holds hemostats, tippet spools, clippers, hook remover and floatant. Never needed any more than that. A friend uses a small soft side cooler slung over his shoulder. After reading this thread, don't think I would want a chest pack.

Why would this thread put you off of a chest pack?  There is no perfect pack IMO be it a chest, sling or vest.  The type of fishing I do on a given day determines which pack I take.  I have a small fishpond pack that holds just the basics along with a single fly box for when I'm fishing close to home or at least close to my Jeep.  The Umpqua pictured is my main pack and comes with 2 different back attachments, large and small.  After driving over an hour to reach prime local trout waters I have every thing I need to spend 8 hours on the stream without having to waste time hiking back to my Jeep.  The larger back includes room for a rain coat or allows me to remove and store a layer of clothing like a thermal.  Last week in was in the low 30's at sunrise and hit 70 by 1PM so that is a nice option to have without a long walk back to the parking area.  Plus there's room for necessities like cigars, snacks and a water bottle.  A lot of the fast water rivers I fish require a wading staff to prevent an Ice cold bath a pack allows a magnetic attachment for both my staff and net.

Skeet I love the minimalist approach of a lanyard and if that covers your needs for the type of fishing your doing that's great.  If heat is an issue where you fish I can see one making sense.  In these parts I generally have a fair drive and then walk to reach the river in the first place so a pack of some type makes sense.

Even with the vest I never toted that much stuff. Wading staff is attached to my wading belt or belt if wading wet. I have spent 8 or more hours on a river. Don't smoke; bottle of water and some crackers keep me going like the pink bunny. I'm fortunate that my trout fishing is 1-2 hours from home. Some places I have to park and walk so a quick trip back to the car is out of the question. BTW, where do you fish in MA? Tight lines and screaming drags!

17 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Even with the vest I never toted that much stuff. Wading staff is attached to my wading belt or belt if wading wet. I have spent 8 or more hours on a river. Don't smoke; bottle of water and some crackers keep me going like the pink bunny. I'm fortunate that my trout fishing is 1-2 hours from home. Some places I have to park and walk so a quick trip back to the car is out of the question. BTW, where do you fish in MA? Tight lines and screaming drags!

I'm in the central part of the state, so my main 3 trout rivers are the Swift, the Still Water and the Quinapoxet. Fortunately they are all less than an hour drive.  All 3 of them are stocked and also have wild trout.  The Still Water has a nice land locked Salmon run in the Autumn.  The Deerfield river which is probably our best known trout river is a 2 hour ride for me.  I don't always have the time to drive so I do spend a lot of time on the numerous warm water rivers I have nearby.  I've posted this before but the river below is a 500' walk behind my home.  The state stocks Browns in it and I fish it year round.  Lots of Fall Fish, Blue Gills, Perch, Crappie and the occasional Large Mouth call it home.    With a lanyard set up what do you do with your used flys when you change them?  

I have a foam patch on the lanyard. I let them dry overnight and put them back in the fly box, one for dry and one for wet/nymphs. Nice stream! BTW, try catching a carp on the fly. Did get one this summer but health issues and emergency surgery eliminated the summer. This time of year the lakes drop for flood control and many places are mud flats. Next year!

DSCN0016.JPG

15 hours ago, skeet3t said:

I have a foam patch on the lanyard. I let them dry overnight and put them back in the fly box, one for dry and one for wet/nymphs. Nice stream! BTW, try catching a carp on the fly. Did get one this summer but health issues and emergency surgery eliminated the summer. This time of year the lakes drop for flood control and many places are mud flats. Next year!

DSCN0016.JPG

I'm sorry to hear about your health issues Skeet.  It sucks to lose any time fishing let alone a summer, I hope you've recovered.   Carp are here in Mass but are not too prevalent in the waters I fish, I've never caught one on any kind of tackle.  I've seen videos of people catching them on a fly rod and I know they're a great sport fish.  Currently our run of land locked salmon is on and I was fortunate to have the fight of my life last Thursday.  Sadly the 5X tippet wasn't up to the task of fighting that fish.  After 2 minutes or so the fish got serious and snapped it like it was nothing. Being a Trout guy given he stayed hooked for 2 minutes  I really thought I had him.   My own fault for underestimating how powerful they can be.  I won't make that mistake again.  That one is going to haunt me for a while but it's "fish at your own risk".

Ah the foam patch-  the point of this thread.  The patch that came on the vest worked well for the most part.  However I often I have to make my way through some thick foliage (overgrown game trails) to reach the next hole and that's when I was loosing barbless flies as the got brushed off the patch.   I don't do much lake fishing even though I have a kayak.  I really love river fishing in moving water.  The Plano box is working well for my needs and being New England "heat" isn't much of a problem even in the summer.  

One of the great things about our sport is the variety of target fish available to a fly angler.   

That looks like a nice set-up DF, something I'v been thinking about trying out, but in my bones I'm an analog fisherman, still old school style with a vest.  I quit using a fly patch when I watched mine float down the river, having somehow gotten detached from my vest.  

My foam patch hooks on with a safety pin type attachment. My vest has a sewed on synthetic "wool" patch. Only lost one fly from the "wool" patch in 25 years. Lime green pheasant tail that accounted for a 12 inch rainbow from a pool the size of a bathtub.

I wear a vest.

I have found that flies tied with barbless hooks can fall off of both foam and wool fly patches. So I think i is best to put barbless flies in some kind of box.

However, for barbed hooks, I think wool patches hold the flies much better than foam. It fact it is no uncommon for some of the wool to come off of wool patches when you remove fies. So eventually, I replace the piece of sheepskin wool.