Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Landon P

Anyone know what this stuff is?

Got it from a local guy. Works really well and I didnt ask where he gets it from. It is bound at the top, and goes into a thing he made for making perfect walleye flies.

20201109_210321.jpg

I wonder of it is twinkle/sparkle organza fabric with the cross strips removed. You can find it at JoAnnes or other fabric stores and it comes in various colors.

silver-sparkle-organza.jpg

You can use it for spinner wings. Tie it in as a strip and then remove the cross fibers as Gary Borger demonstrates in his Blog:

http://www.garyborger.com/2011/05/31/twinkle-wing-spinner-hendrickson2/

d0c2a7ccd98f17bf90e7cd324d60ff50--organz

X-Wing-Spinner-2-5.jpg

Twinkle Organza can be bought as a fabric or as a strip in spools in many colors.

large.jpg

Coat it with thin film of CA glue and make wings so it doesn’t unravel.  Thanks SC, didn’t realize it would be a good source for some real tiny flash.   Don’t think this is what he’s got.   Looks like plastic flash strands or sumthin.  “Foraged” for lotta flash/fiber never run across any connected like that...

7B273E6A-5FC7-4CB4-A792-7AB71657AAF0.png

514C5160-4B77-4FA1-8565-4D36F12E03CA.jpeg

7C62B5BB-C64B-4D3B-B095-CB30BCBD26CB.png

Looks to me like something a commercial tyer came up with years and years ago when all we had in the way of mylar and similar synthetic flashy stuff came on small spools and you had to figure out a way of straightening it for tying purposes.... He'd unwind the mylar onto cardboard or other stiff material under tension then leave it for a few weeks until needed.  One end was always glued in place and when needed you simply cut free the number of strands needed then tied them in place - all perfectly straight from the slight tension on the winding board (or cardboard...).   If I  remember correctly I also saw that technique in at least one lure crafting book (on how to make everything from jigs to flies... )... 

All these years later synthetic materials of all kinds are light years ahead of what I started with almost forty five years ago now... 

1 hour ago, petelangevin said:

Almost looks like baitfish emulator flash

I dont think so. That stuff has a thicker spine