Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicrider

When it's all stocked fish...put n take

I will try once more to make this work. I will be fishing one of the many winter stocked streams in OK or TX and have been advised of the best "flies" for that fishing. These fish are just excited to be free from their cage and like cooped up dog given a chance to run they just run all over looking for things to bite. They really aren't up on things like hatches or nymphs and just want to grab something that looks a little like it's edible. Working with a guide from down there he sent me material to make a bunch of "flies" before I go down. If the pic works right this time there is a row on top and bottom of real flies but in the middle it's mop flies, mega worms from baby yarn, wiggly worms from kids toys, bead headed tail wigglers, blobs, and need to add some eggs. Enjoy

mega_worms.JPG

You’re prolly on the right track.  I have on 2 occasions been at a hatchery truck drop off  one at LilRedRiver and one at SpringRiver both in ArkOzarks.  The one at SR had already left but most all of the released fish were in a huge bunch in plain view around a boulder in midstream. No one was around.  I tied on a Humpy and caught and released for over an hour and left them stil there; 10”-12” fish.  I rarely keep fish but sometimes take my 5 fish to a friend, motel maintenance guy. 

The other time I jumped on the truck running board and asked the hatchery guy how long did it take for the trout to get acclimated?   He said immediately!   This was in JFK park below the damn and lots of baiters were there.   Everyone caught fish for half an hour on literally anything they threw out.  The fish finally dispersed.    

I since tied some “feed pellets” but never have had the opportunity to try them.😛 I mostly swing brite streamers and strip thru seams and runs.  Or hopper dropper in the slower runs.

However,  the careover fish in these rivers in time require more concerted effort down to midge fishing thankfully and avoid the baiters and get great colors.   BTW.  The LilRed held the world record Brown, 40#, for years...The Rainbows aren’t successful spawners, they try, but the Browns are.  That’s soon  to be happening.

8254D675-9436-4AE3-9E4F-BF4C5DC2FB5A.png

29C34B1A-5094-4DDC-A615-F3CDC5BFA2E0.jpeg

A8E348AF-F102-4866-B4F8-FF26E961A58D.jpeg

D5BB0F60-4E32-44B1-92AC-2D5B6495C6D3.jpeg

A5AE8F36-CFD5-44AB-A8BD-3E157D5A939C.jpeg

666A8625-DD80-43AE-882A-B985FBAAF7CA.png

Can't go wrong with a few mop flies.

P4290225.thumb.JPG.ca6744ce0a979a8e8a951c1b1ed85ae9.JPG

P4140195.thumb.JPG.d3d61e44aec9f726788e966640944aea.JPG

P4140198.thumb.JPG.f27bc9db319a96428c27f5bc7c4a8471.JPG

I find the small to medium size mop flies work better for trout than the large ones

Wow Philly!  Funny thing about the SpringRiver Hatchery is that it’s between the split of the River.  You can catch the stockers in the 2 out flow shoots.  Seems the trout are trying to get back in or feeding on uneaten food pellets coming out.  They have snails in their gut and the bottom of the river is full of them.   Never had much luck and lost faith in my snail flies though.   One year it flooded badly and killed some of the trout.  Some of the big brood fish got out and for awhile you might catch a real chunk!

I will have to try some of those mop flies. I have never seen them before. We have some mountain lakes that are stocked and they tend to eat anything with some red on it. Royal Wulff or royal coachman work really well  for us.

Me and my 12 year old son fished a stream Saturday that was stocked the day before. Tried the big ugly stuff early in the day but only meager results - went to a size 18 bead nymph and soft hackle trailer and my son wore them out the rest of the day. Sometimes it pays to experiement with different set ups, sizes, and colors.

Best part of the day was hearing Folks as they were leaving the stream and I could them say "dang he has another one......" as I was netting another fattie for my little guy.  He is still smiling!

Good luck!

13 hours ago, Pbass said:

I will have to try some of those mop flies. I have never seen them before

Get ready for @fshng2 to blow your mind with mopfly creativity... Here's a link from a few years back. 

5 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Get ready for @fshng2 to blow your mind with mopfly creativity... Here's a link from a few years back. 

Thank you @chugbug27 I will check it out now!

Story- A guy once told of following a large truck along a river that was regularly stocked. Finally, the driver stopped and asked why he was following him. The guy told him. The driver replied that the truck was servicing the porta potties along the river.