Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hardyrod1974

Shaving a vole

Living in the woods means mice. So this time of year I set traps around the exterior of the house. Occasionally I get a vole. They have tend to have a nice dark grey pelt.
 I'm not sure how easy it would be to skin one, so I was wondering about about washing and rinsing one (intact) and then using a disposable razor to shave some of the fur off. Has anyone done something like this?

Should be pretty easy to skin and that’s what I’d do instead of shaving it. Peel the skin off, dry with borax, and you’re good to go. I’ve done a mole and a starling this way so far and it’s worked great. 

I prefer not to shave hair.  Skinning them is not really difficult or even that messy as they're so small.  Here's a mole skin one of my cats left  for me. 

IMG-20201119-091446-cr.jpg

IMG-20201119-091604-cr.jpg

IMG-20201119-091648.jpg

A few slices on the underside, being careful not to cut through  the tissue, work your finger in there and around and most of it will slip/pull right off.  Scrape off any fat/tissue with dull edge of knife, the skin is rather thin and delicate, so use a light touch when scraping.  Wash with warm water, Dawn, and a splash of bleach, rinse well, wring out.  Spread borax on board, stretch (gently) and tack skin fur side down to board, cover with borax for a few days, changing if necessary.  Vole- la.   

Just occurred to me that if someone outside of tying community read the title of this thread they’d probably react with a “What???” Made me laugh.  Just like using your wife’s hair blower to dry off a washed roadkill.  Lol.  Don’t get caught !